5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn loaded towing mirrors swap with regular or sport Mirrors

Robert63049

Reaction score
I really Hate these towing mirrors, I have seen a thread that says they can be swapped with sport mirrors as plug and play, I'm searching for a part number for such a mirror, my truck is patriot blue
my vin number is 1C6SRFFT2KN598608 does anyone have any info that could help me.
My towing Mirrors do not have power fold but they have every other option available

kevinssaco

Reaction score
I feel your pain! Unless they are turned up to the tow position the mirrors blow everything up too much and cause a massive blind spot even with the blind spot mirrors in my opinion. Very dangerous changing lanes on the hyway. I end up looking over my shoulder on top of using the mirror because I can't judge proper distance. This is what I hate most about this truck but I'm leasing and stuck.

phillie9284

Reaction score
Yes please let me know what you come up with. Because I can't see crap out of these tow mirrors too, especially the right side. Very unsafe for lane changing to your right side.

Gary2920

Reaction score
I really Hate these towing mirrors, I have seen a thread that says they can be swapped with sport mirrors as plug and play, I'm searching for a part number for such a mirror, my truck is patriot blue
my vin number is 1C6SRFFT2KN598608 does anyone have any info that could help me.
My towing Mirrors do not have power fold but they have every other option available
Did you have any luck with this? I picked up a great deal on a 2019 RAM 1500 and HATE the tow mirrors. Any tips on how to best use them?

kevinssaco

Reaction score
Did you have any luck with this? I picked up a great deal on a 2019 RAM 1500 and HATE the tow mirrors. Any tips on how to best use them?
In the tow position is the best way to use them, but makes it really hard to park or leave a parking space if someone is close. I have set mine up so the small mirror is basically looking at my rear quarter panel just to make sure someone isn't in my blind spot before changing lanes. Even then, in traffic or the dark or bad weather its unnerving to switch lanes right without swinging your whole head over your shoulder just to be sure!

Gary2920

Reaction score
In the tow position is the best way to use them, but makes it really hard to park or leave a parking space if someone is close. I have set mine up so the small mirror is basically looking at my rear quarter panel just to make sure someone isn't in my blind spot before changing lanes. Even then, in traffic or the dark or bad weather its unnerving to switch lanes right without swinging your whole head over your shoulder just to be sure!
Thanks Kevin., that helps. Will give it a try. I forsee finding non tow mirrors on ebay and a swap in my future.

Gary2920

Reaction score
Robert, did you have any luck with this?If so can you share your solution? I'm having the same experience, love the truck, hate the mirrors.

KSOTI

Reaction score
Yep. I hate mine too. I wonder if you can just swap the glass out for normal glass mirrors with out the magnification?

kjn86

Reaction score
There is a whole series of threads going about tow mirror changes, but the most general one is https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...rors-with-power-folding-10-cyber-monday.4103/

It starts out with the Infotainment option of buying a full conversion kit from them then eventually other people start to talk about tow mirror swaps without the Infotainment package.

I just switched out my tow mirrors for regular mirrors personally. It is on the 18th page where the details come out.

The gist is I got the flat black mirrors with blind spot, took off the tow mirrors and replaced them one for one. In order to get the full stock treatment, you have to switch out the mirrors as well as the control modules in the door and the door panel with the fold/unfold button added, then buy a programming tool to enable it. Currently ODBGenie and Tazer seems to have worked for many people. I only wanted to see better, so I just changed out the mirrors.

So, if you only want to see better, you need to find the mirror you want, then just swap them out. Puddle light, BSM, etc. all are retained. If you want power fold, you have to do more and pay more.

New mirrors can be found by finding a similar vehicle to yours with the mirrors you want, then using that VIN to get the part number from a dealer. Then I recommend you buy them online as it will be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. Mine were almost half as much online than at my dealer. You can also find the ones you want on Ebay for a potential discount (search 2019 RAM 1500 mirror), but I found everyone there was discounting used ones they had based on the normal dealer price, so they were not much less than buying them from some online vendors, plus they are new this way. You can use Ebay to verify part numbers since they have actual useful photos there. I called a dealer to verify my part numbers, but I used ebay to verify with photos.

With the mirrors, you have a few choices for color flat black, body color, chrome then with or without blind spot monitoring. This is where being precise on the model number is important. They have some mirrors (the most basic) that don't have any features, which may work for vision but will impair you if you later want to enable power folding.

I recommend looking at Liberty Auto to buy - https://parts.libertychryslerjeepdodgeram.com/. I paid just shy of $500 for mine with shipping. Totally worth it. If you want the flat black with BSM, part number is 68276503AG for left and 68276502AG for right. You can buy earlier part numbered mirrors that are probably the same for maybe less money, i.e. 68276503AC instead of AG. They change these due to improvements sometimes but also due to changing factories, so they are mostly the same. Most of the ones on Ebay are an older number but would work. You may get lucky and get a pair for a few hundred bucks.

I did a lot of research into this and clearing up minor details, so ask me any questions and I will try to answer. Good luck. The change is worth it. I can see so much better.

Rick J

Reaction score
There is a whole series of threads going about tow mirror changes, but the most general one is https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...rors-with-power-folding-10-cyber-monday.4103/

It starts out with the Infotainment option of buying a full conversion kit from them then eventually other people start to talk about tow mirror swaps without the Infotainment package.

I just switched out my tow mirrors for regular mirrors personally. It is on the 18th page where the details come out.

The gist is I got the flat black mirrors with blind spot, took off the tow mirrors and replaced them one for one. In order to get the full stock treatment, you have to switch out the mirrors as well as the control modules in the door and the door panel with the fold/unfold button added, then buy a programming tool to enable it. Currently ODBGenie and Tazer seems to have worked for many people. I only wanted to see better, so I just changed out the mirrors.

So, if you only want to see better, you need to find the mirror you want, then just swap them out. Puddle light, BSM, etc. all are retained. If you want power fold, you have to do more and pay more.

New mirrors can be found by finding a similar vehicle to yours with the mirrors you want, then using that VIN to get the part number from a dealer. Then I recommend you buy them online as it will be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. Mine were almost half as much online than at my dealer. You can also find the ones you want on Ebay for a potential discount (search 2019 RAM 1500 mirror), but I found everyone there was discounting used ones they had based on the normal dealer price, so they were not much less than buying them from some online vendors, plus they are new this way. You can use Ebay to verify part numbers since they have actual useful photos there. I called a dealer to verify my part numbers, but I used ebay to verify with photos.

With the mirrors, you have a few choices for color flat black, body color, chrome then with or without blind spot monitoring. This is where being precise on the model number is important. They have some mirrors (the most basic) that don't have any features, which may work for vision but will impair you if you later want to enable power folding.

I recommend looking at Liberty Auto to buy - https://parts.libertychryslerjeepdodgeram.com/. I paid just shy of $500 for mine with shipping. Totally worth it. If you want the flat black with BSM, part number is 68276503AG for left and 68276502AG for right. You can buy earlier part numbered mirrors that are probably the same for maybe less money, i.e. 68276503AC instead of AG. They change these due to improvements sometimes but also due to changing factories, so they are mostly the same. Most of the ones on Ebay are an older number but would work. You may get lucky and get a pair for a few hundred bucks.

I did a lot of research into this and clearing up minor details, so ask me any questions and I will try to answer. Good luck. The change is worth it. I can see so much better.
What a great write up. One of the reasons this forum is so great. I hope the OP appreciates the effort you put in to respond to his question.

KSOTI

Reaction score
Wow! That is such a thoughtful and informative write up!!! Thank you! Sir, Seriously!

I have a hard time understanding why the passenger tow mirror is so useless. Perhaps you can enlighten me. It boggles my mind that I can't adjust it to a useful position. Is it because it sits so far out or Is it the simple matter that the glass is magnified? If that is the case couldn't the glass be changed? Enlighten me wise ole master of the mirror dilemma.....

kjn86

Reaction score
Wow! That is such a thoughtful and informative write up!!! Thank you! Sir, Seriously!

I have a hard time understanding why the passenger tow mirror is so useless. Perhaps you can enlighten me. It boggles my mind that I can't adjust it to a useful position. Is it because it sits so far out or Is it the simple matter that the glass is magnified? If that is the case couldn't the glass be changed? Enlighten me wise ole master of the mirror dilemma.....

I wondered the same thing. Why is the passenger so different? All I can come up with is the angle. It is farther out and not having that far right edge be normal mirror makes all the difference. It's the elimination of the fish eye and the replacement of just a few more inches of regular mirror that make it much more effective for some reason. This is only opinion. I am much more educated on changing mirrors out than on their construction!

kevinssaco

Reaction score

Because its basically a "Funhouse" mirror. It exagerates how close objects are behind you. Great for towing, but horrible for regular city driving. The magnification causes cars along side of your truck to literally disapear and only seen in the small mirror in which if you are like me a little older, my eyesight even with glasses have a hard time focussing on the smaller "blind spot" mirror especially in heavy traffic and weather. I suggested to FCA they scrap this style mirror to more something like Ford and Chevy use and get rid of the flip mirrors and go with a slide in and out and power fold and heated.

KSOTI

Reaction score
So...... if its truly just the glass mirror itself playing tricks on our eyes, then maybe we can find after market replacement glass that is normal??? Hmmmm

jvanarsdall

Reaction score
Anyone figured out a fix for this yet? I hate the passenger mirror field of view as well.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can somebody post pics of the "towing mirror" vs. the standard sport mirror? I guess I don't know which I have.

Mine have power fold, turn signals, puddle lights, and blind spot mirrors (which are useless).

Rick J

Reaction score
You don't have the tow package according to your signature so you don't have the tow mirrors. Also, your mirrors power fold and the tow mirrors don't so you have the standard mirrors.

nate5532

Reaction score
There is a whole series of threads going about tow mirror changes, but the most general one is Replacing my TOW mirrors with Power Folding - 10% Cyber Monday

I recommend looking at Liberty Auto to buy - Buy OEM Car Parts & Accessories | Liberty Mopar Parts. I paid just shy of $500 for mine with shipping. Totally worth it. If you want the flat black with BSM, part number is 68276503AG for left and 68276502AG for right. You can buy earlier part numbered mirrors that are probably the same for maybe less money, i.e. 68276503AC instead of AG. They change these due to improvements sometimes but also due to changing factories, so they are mostly the same. Most of the ones on Ebay are an older number but would work. You may get lucky and get a pair for a few hundred bucks.

Thank you so much for going through this detail in this post as well as the larger forum. After doing a bunch of reading, I ended up ordering the same parts you have in your post. It sounded like these should do everything I need (including heat and power fold, with the added door modules and the ODB genie). I've stewed on this for the last couple of months with my dumb tow mirrors and I'm finally ready to pull the trigger

I'm looking at $768 for the below equip, plus $250 for the ODB genie which puts me at $1,018. It's expensive, but still several hundred dollars cheaper than going through infotainment (which I was about to do).

I almost ordered the mirrors on ebay, but I only would have saved about $100 and that wasn't worth the risk of something being wrong with them and the hassle of ordering/installing new ones.

1650126642011.png

JefeRey

Reaction score
Great thread and forum! Thanks for all the info. I have a 2020 RAM 2500 Big Horn, and have the mirrors that flip up for towing, but they also have power fold. The description of "fun house" effect on the mirror is PERFECT! I hate them and thought I'd find an easy solution from RAM like, "buy a different mirror glass that doesn't have a zoomed in effect". I wonder what solutions there are for the 2500?

I too am willing to pay the price to fix this, but am hoping I won't lose Power Fold, Heated, Blind Spot, etc. Any ideas? I doubt the 1500 mirrors and modules are compatible with the 2500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/