5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

G. Price

Reaction score
Driving to work this morning my truck just stopped running. I did not lose electrical power but the truck would not accelerate. I got a warning that the Truck was not in park which It should not have been since I was moving 35 Miles an Hour. I pulled over turned the gear selector to park, restarted the truck and drove to work with no issues. What could have caused this.

BigGsc

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.

Did you possibly not have your door shut tightly? Mine has given me that message when I drive with the door open.

Edit- mine didn’t shut off but I was barely moving at the time.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had that happen once in my last truck and it never happened again.

The way it was explained to me by the dealer was that there is a switch (I believe inside the transmission) that was telling the computer the shift lever was in park, but since you were moving it was telling you it would not shift into park. Since the computer believed you were in park, it also initiated the rev limiter which prevents you from accelerating above a snails pace.

G. Price

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.

Did you possibly not have your door shut tightly? Mine has given me that message when I drive with the door open.

Edit- mine didn’t shut off but I was barely moving at the time.
Thank you for the reply, I think the door was closed and to get it moving again I did not open or close it. I will keep an eye on that Thanks

G. Price

Reaction score
I had that happen once in my last truck and it never happened again.

The way it was explained to me by the dealer was that there is a switch (I believe inside the transmission) that was telling the computer the shift lever was in park, but since you were moving it was telling you it would not shift into park. Since the computer believed you were in park, it also initiated the rev limiter which prevents you from accelerating above a snails pace.
Maybe that was/is what the problem was. I have trust issues now. I guess I will watch to see if it happens again. Thank you for responding it was very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/