5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn Ignition Switch Problem

Mcassidy2508

Reaction score
First time poster and not usually a forum guy so bare with me...

2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn battery keeps dying and dash shows "Key in Ignition" message even when the key is not in the ignition. I believe this is the cause of the battery drain but for some reason the Chrysler technicians don't agree with me. So far they've replaced the battery, the alternator, and done some work to the power steering system but the truck is continuing to have the same issues. The battery drains itself every time you shut the truck off and the "key in ignition" message pops up and door chime sounds even when key is not in ignition. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Am i on the right track thinking this is an issue with the ignition switch? Thanks in advance for any help!

-Mitch

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Lots of things can cause battery drain. Not on my Ram, but a Chrysler 300 I owned would not start unless driven every few hours, turned out the amplifier for the stereo wasn’t shutting off.

Mcassidy2508

Reaction score
I am thinking the issue is with the ignition switch due to the truck thinking the key is in the ignition even when it isn't. This is preventing the radio and lights from turning off and thus draining the battery.

tg147200

Reaction score
I am thinking the issue is with the ignition switch due to the truck thinking the key is in the ignition even when it isn't. This is preventing the radio and lights from turning off and thus draining the battery.
Hi Mcassidy, did you ever find the cause and fix for this issue? I just found this post with a Google search because I am having the exact same problem with my 2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Problem started right after we had the 60k mile service at the dealer, and they claim they don't know what the fix is. Did you replace the ignition switch? And if so, did it fix the problem?
Thanks for any information.

afarsid

Reaction score
Im also having a similar issue with my Ram 1500 5.7 big horn. When I try to turn off the car using the ignition switch, the car doesn’t respond. I have to either unplug the RF module or disconnect the battery. If I reconnect the terminal, then the battery is drained because the dash lights remain lit. Im going to replace the ignition switch and hopefully this fixes it…

Siarl Bychan 1500

Reaction score
Sort of the same problem I'm having with my 2019 1500 Classic Big Horn. I've had it a year with just 95k miles. I noticed one morning it took a few seconds to start. Then it graduated a few days later with not starting at all. No click. Nada. Used a battery tester and the battery and alternator are fine. I had it jumped. I thought it was due to not driving it enough, so I drove it for at least 30 minutes. That seemed to work with no problems. The following week. Same issue. Now when I open the driver side door to get in, the door chime goes on as if I had the key in the ignition to warn me. But the key is not in the ignition. Second time I had it jumped, when the guy with the cables attached the negative cable, the horn alarm sounded and scared the crap out of both of us. I dismissed the door chime and just drove it to O'Reilly's to get a new battery. Again, I shut off the engine, removed the key fob from the ignition, the instrument panel then said, key in ignition with the door chime sounding. I mentioned it to the clerk, he came out, tested the battery. It said the battery and alternator were perfect and fully charged. I drove it home without having to purchase anything. Still don't know what is going on. I've Googled alot with many references to ignition switch, key fob reprogramming, and then a lengthy explanation from another forum about switching out the fuses and which ones he thought were the culprit. It just seems like people experience the same thing but the solutions are all over the map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/