5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4WD - bagger

BigHorn-SV

Reaction score
Finally decided that FCA's All-New 2019 RAM 1500 4WD with 4-corner air suspension (4-CAS) will replace my trusty old 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD (see my "signature" for specs of both trucks).

I started by looking at GMC when I decided to purchase a new truck earlier this year because I've had such good luck with my Chevy and its couch-like front seats are so darn comfortable. The local GMC dealership only had the '19 Denali's in-stock back in Sep-18, so waited to see and sit in the '19 GMC Sierra Elevation Edition, because I want cloth seats and dual-zone AC. I ruled out Nissan and Ford without even driving them (too many reported problems with both). I ruled out Toyota because no dual-zone AC with cloth seats.

Over Thanksgiving weekend I found in SoCal the only 2WD Sierra Elevation in California and went down there to check it out after doing the LAB2V motorcycle ride. Even though I like the interior fit and finish of the GMC slightly better than the RAM (just being honest here), the ride-height of the 2019 2WD Sierra is just too tall for my needs - its tailgate lift-over height is nearly 36" and I load motorcycles in my truck, so a low lift-over is important to me. The all-new RAM has about an inch lower lift-over height, plus I chose 4-CAS to help drop the RAM even more when I load motorcycles, and then I can lift it back up to man-sized truck when I'm done loading the bikes. (Besides, I always got crap from my brother about my old Silverado not being a "real" truck, because of it being 2WD and not lifted.)

I am a sucker for my old Silverado's car-like ride quality, so I test drove the RAM and GMC over ruddy old farm roads before I made a decision on which one to buy. What I experienced was that the ride quality on '19 2WD GMC Sierra SLT was quite a bit better at soaking up the bumps than was '19 RAM Big Horn 2WD. In fact, ride-quality on 2WD RAM was comparable to my old 2WD Silverado with 180k miles (of course, Silverado has a few rattles). Next I drove '19 RAM Limited 4WD with 4-CAS. This is where I felt a huge difference in ride-quality - it was comparable if not better than 2WD GMC. (I did not drive 4WD GMC because I really don't need 4WD, but ended up buying it on my RAM because FCA doesn't offer 2WD with 4-CAS.) Also, 4-CAS also a convenient option to have when trailering.

Another reason that I chose RAM is because I like how it feels when in the drivers seat. The RAM's front seats are to me the most comfortable offered in the full-size truck class. Its dashboard has good ergonomics and does not feel as distant or far away as the GMC's dashboard. Also, when seated in the GMC driver's seat, the squared-off edges on the front fenders make it feel huge! Guess I'm used to the look of my old Silverado, but the view out the dash of the new RAM just feels smaller and more nimble than the new GMC - probably because of the RAM's front hood, which tiers-down into the front fenders.

One more reason that I chose the RAM is because the 5.7 Hemi sounds absolutely wicked - even in stock exhaust. Driving sanely, it sounds quiet and car-like, just like the GMC 5.3, but stab the throttle and that 5.7 Hemi just sings - yeehaw! The GMC 5.3 is an awesome and reliable motor, but so is the Hemi 5.7, and the Hemi just plain and simple sounds better at boil.

The final less significant but important nonetheless reason for me to get the RAM is that FCA offers a sunroof in the Quad Cab. No other manufacturer offers this option in their full-size extended-cab trucks. I grew up in California by choice driving cars with convertible tops, sliding-steel sunroofs, and moonroofs my entire life, so having a factory-installed sunroof/moonroof in my truck is just icing on the cake.

IMO, one area where FCA should improve the New RAM 1500 is by adding more tie-down hooks in the pickup bed. The '19 GMC has them beat in that category and God knows one can never have too many tie-down points in a pickup bed!

All in-all, can't wait for my new ride - a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4WD bagger!

RenoRam

Reaction score
Welcome and nice write up. I've had both Chevys and Rams (4th one now) and although the Chevy is a nice and mostly reliable truck, imo, there is no comparison to the style, powertrain, options and especially the interior options and comfort of the Ram. Hope you enjoy your Big Horn when it arrives and post pics after you take delivery.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally decided that FCA's All-New 2019 RAM 1500 4WD with 4-corner air suspension (4-CAS) will replace my trusty old 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD (see my "signature" for specs of both trucks).

I started by looking at GMC when I decided to purchase a new truck earlier this year because I've had such good luck with my Chevy and its couch-like front seats are so darn comfortable. The local GMC dealership only had the '19 Denali's in-stock back in Sep-18, so waited to see and sit in the '19 GMC Sierra Elevation Edition, because I want cloth seats and dual-zone AC. I ruled out Nissan and Ford without even driving them (too many reported problems with both). I ruled out Toyota because no dual-zone AC with cloth seats.

Over Thanksgiving weekend I found in SoCal the only 2WD Sierra Elevation in California and went down there to check it out after doing the LAB2V motorcycle ride. Even though I like the interior fit and finish of the GMC slightly better than the RAM (just being honest here), the ride-height of the 2019 2WD Sierra is just too tall for my needs - its tailgate lift-over height is nearly 36" and I load motorcycles in my truck, so a low lift-over is important to me. The all-new RAM has about an inch lower lift-over height, plus I chose 4-CAS to help drop the RAM even more when I load motorcycles, and then I can lift it back up to man-sized truck when I'm done loading the bikes. (Besides, I always got crap from my brother about my old Silverado not being a "real" truck, because of it being 2WD and not lifted.)

I am a sucker for my old Silverado's car-like ride quality, so I test drove the RAM and GMC over ruddy old farm roads before I made a decision on which one to buy. What I experienced was that the ride quality on '19 2WD GMC Sierra SLT was quite a bit better at soaking up the bumps than was '19 RAM Big Horn 2WD. In fact, ride-quality on 2WD RAM was comparable to my old 2WD Silverado with 180k miles (of course, Silverado has a few rattles). Next I drove '19 RAM Limited 4WD with 4-CAS. This is where I felt a huge difference in ride-quality - it was comparable if not better than 2WD GMC. (I did not drive 4WD GMC because I really don't need 4WD, but ended up buying it on my RAM because FCA doesn't offer 2WD with 4-CAS.) Also, 4-CAS also a convenient option to have when trailering.

Another reason that I chose RAM is because I like how it feels when in the drivers seat. The RAM's front seats are to me the most comfortable offered in the full-size truck class. Its dashboard has good ergonomics and does not feel as distant or far away as the GMC's dashboard. Also, when seated in the GMC driver's seat, the squared-off edges on the front fenders make it feel huge! Guess I'm used to the look of my old Silverado, but the view out the dash of the new RAM just feels smaller and more nimble than the new GMC - probably because of the RAM's front hood, which tiers-down into the front fenders.

One more reason that I chose the RAM is because the 5.7 Hemi sounds absolutely wicked - even in stock exhaust. Driving sanely, it sounds quiet and car-like, just like the GMC 5.3, but stab the throttle and that 5.7 Hemi just sings - yeehaw! The GMC 5.3 is an awesome and reliable motor, but so is the Hemi 5.7, and the Hemi just plain and simple sounds better at boil.

The final less significant but important nonetheless reason for me to get the RAM is that FCA offers a sunroof in the Quad Cab. No other manufacturer offers this option in their full-size extended-cab trucks. I grew up in California by choice driving cars with convertible tops, sliding-steel sunroofs, and moonroofs my entire life, so having a factory-installed sunroof/moonroof in my truck is just icing on the cake.

IMO, one area where FCA should improve the New RAM 1500 is by adding more tie-down hooks in the pickup bed. The '19 GMC has them beat in that category and God knows one can never have too many tie-down points in a pickup bed!

I just came out of a 2015 SIERRA SLE 4x4 with cloth seats and dual zone climate control. The main reason I will never own a GM again is the horrible, horrible quality of the interior. Overall, I liked the truck, but the interior was/is garbage. GMC seat.jpg The driver's seat was worn out in less than one month and was replaced under warranty, and the replacement lasted about maybe 3 or 4 months and it too was shot. I looked at the 2019 Silverado, and it has the same cheap interior as my 2015 GMC. So, I will have to politely disagree with your assessment of the interior quality of the GM's -- because they are absolutely terrible. If you look at any used 2014 + Chevy or GMC with cloth seats, every single one of them has a crushed in seat bottom cushion, where the driver gets in and out - every single one of them. Super cheap. Never again for me! I do agree about the bed tie downs, and I like the bumper steps, but that's about it. I had the GMC for about another month after I got the RAM and I hated driving it once I got the RAM. Absolutely no comparison. Love my RAM!!!

BigHorn-SV

Reaction score
I just came out of a 2015 SIERRA SLE 4x4 with cloth seats and dual zone climate control. The main reason I will never own a GM again is the horrible, horrible quality of the interior. Overall, I liked the truck, but the interior was/is garbage. View attachment 11283 The driver's seat was worn out in less than one month and was replaced under warranty, and the replacement lasted about maybe 3 or 4 months and it too was shot. I looked at the 2019 Silverado, and it has the same cheap interior as my 2015 GMC. So, I will have to politely disagree with your assessment of the interior quality of the GM's -- because they are absolutely terrible. If you look at any used 2014 + Chevy or GMC with cloth seats, every single one of them has a crushed in seat bottom cushion, where the driver gets in and out - every single one of them. Super cheap. Never again for me! I do agree about the bed tie downs, and I like the bumper steps, but that's about it. I had the GMC for about another month after I got the RAM and I hated driving it once I got the RAM. Absolutely no comparison. Love my RAM!!!

I totally agree with your assessment of the current generation of GM cloth pickup truck seats and submit the best seats in a GM truck were in 1st-Gen 1999-2007. Wife and I call my old Silverado the couch - it's comfortable to us, but she is 5'7" and I am 5'10". The seat in my 2WD 2005 without lift-kit is still tall enough that I do slide out/down a bit when exiting the cab, but with 180k has held up well and not failed catastrophically as did the seat in your 2015.
1545419511999.png
Overall, the seats and other materials in my '05 Silverado's interior have held up well. In fact, that's one of the reasons I chose it over similar mid-00's Dodge and Fords back when I purchased it used in 2009. However, it's had other issues such as I had to rebuild the gauge cluster, replace CD head, and fix a handful of rattles including a steering shaft bushing, all of which were easier jobs, but do take some time and a little money to repair/replace.

IMO, the GM trucks post-2007 have a short seat base that is too firm, not supportive and poorly designed/executed, as evidenced by your truck. I had no idea they wore-out quickly, as I was not looking at used trucks this time around.

In retrospect, I should have mentioned the current GMC's uncomfortable seats in my initial write-up, because that actually was another deciding factor in choosing RAM. One of my main criteria in purchasing a new truck (in addition to ride-quality and lift-over) was seat comfort, as I spend a lot of time on road trips. I sat in Ford, Toyota and GM, but none were nearly as comfortable as the RAM seat. IMO, the cloth seats in a 2019 RAM are the best designed and most comfortable available on the market today in a new full-size pickup truck.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I totally agree with your assessment of the current generation of GM cloth pickup truck seats and submit the best seats in a GM truck were in 1st-Gen 1999-2007. Wife and I call my old Silverado the couch - it's comfortable to us, but she is 5'7" and I am 5'10". The seat in my 2WD 2005 without lift-kit is still tall enough that I do slide out/down a bit when exiting the cab, but with 180k has held up well and not failed catastrophically as did the seat in your 2015.
View attachment 11290
Overall, the seats and other materials in my '05 Silverado's interior have held up well. In fact, that's one of the reasons I chose it over similar mid-00's Dodge and Fords back when I purchased it used in 2009. However, it's had other issues such as I had to rebuild the gauge cluster, replace CD head, and fix a handful of rattles including a steering shaft bushing, all of which were easier jobs, but do take some time and a little money to repair/replace.

IMO, the GM trucks post-2007 have a short seat base that is too firm, not supportive and poorly designed/executed, as evidenced by your truck. I had no idea they wore-out quickly, as I was not looking at used trucks this time around.

In retrospect, I should have mentioned the current GMC's uncomfortable seats in my initial write-up, because that actually was another deciding factor in choosing RAM. One of my main criteria in purchasing a new truck (in addition to ride-quality and lift-over) was seat comfort, as I spend a lot of time on road trips. I sat in Ford, Toyota and GM, but none were nearly as comfortable as the RAM seat. IMO, the cloth seats in a 2019 RAM are the best designed and most comfortable available on the market today in a new full-size pickup truck.

To further expand on my decision to move away from GM in favor of the RAM, my truck also had way too much rust on the frame for a 3 year old vehicle that was mostly garaged, and the sheet metal that they use, especially on the hood and roof, is paper thin (assumably to decrease weight and improve gas mileage), and I had dozens, literally dozens, of small dents and dings all over the hood and roof. My truck looked like it was in a hale storm, and it was not. It was all caused by acorns. The first year that I owned the truck, it was parked in my driveway under a tree..The same tree that my previous F150 was parked under, and not one dent!! really cheaply made, piece of junk IMO. My buddy has a 2013 Silverado, and his is much better built than my 2015, and has much, much nicer seats too...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Nice writeup. Welcome to the forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online