5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 5.7L Oil Pan Removal

jason6695

Reaction score
For those that have replaced their oil pan on the 2019 5.7L Hemi can it be done by just lowering the front diff or does it require complete removal of the front diff to get the clearance? I'm going to replace my rusted oil pan with a new spectra pan and permadry gasket.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Following, my 2019 has the same issue. I wire brushed, sprayed some paint along with some wool wax about a year and half ago. Last time I looked it was holding up well. No longer have that much of a concern for myself though. At 40011 miles it suddenly "died" on the NY Thruway, would crank but not start. It was towed to Ramsey CDJR. After a week at the dealership I was informed it needed a motor with an ETA of 2 to 3 months. Still interested in what it takes to change out the oil pan.

Last edited:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For those that have replaced their oil pan on the 2019 5.7L Hemi can it be done by just lowering the front diff or does it require complete removal of the front diff to get the clearance? I'm going to replace my rusted oil pan with a new spectra pan and permadry gasket.
According to alldata the front axle needs to be removed, there might be a way to "hack" around that, no first hand experience from me tho.

jason6695

Reaction score
According to alldata the front axle needs to be removed, there might be a way to "hack" around that, no first hand experience from me tho.
yeah I saw that too on AllData, but I've also seen videos on it being done without completely removing the diff on the 4th gens.

Was just hoping to have to avoid a complete removal as that involves removing the half shafts, caliper, abs sensor, and front driveshaft and additional parts as the hub nut, o rings, and clips shouldn't be reused and with the local dealers marking up parts 20% over MSRP it starts to add up.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
yeah I saw that too on AllData, but I've also seen videos on it being done without completely removing the diff on the 4th gens.

Was just hoping to have to avoid a complete removal as that involves removing the half shafts, caliper, abs sensor, and front driveshaft and additional parts as the hub nut, o rings, and clips shouldn't be reused and with the local dealers marking up parts 20% over MSRP it starts to add up.
Yeah, a pain for real. I replaced the passenger bearing hub, reused the hardware...
Might be able to hoist the engine up to gain clearance but that would be a hassle also.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Wow, gone are the days of just unbolting the pan, getting a new gasket, making sure the old gasket is fully removed, using some gasket sealant putting the new gasket on the pan, bolting up the pan, and torquing the bolts to spec. Just WOW. Well above my tools, and skill level.

BlueHemi1500

jason6695

Reaction score
It took a couple of days but I managed to get the oil pan changed out. A couple of notes for someone wanting to tackle this job.

1. The diff definitely needs to come out and since the diff removal removes the drivers side engine mount, its lets you move the engine up a bit too making it even easier to get the oil pan in and out.
2. Your CV shafts are going to be seized on to the diff. The drivers side comes out with the intermediate shaft which is replaceable if you ever need to replace the CV shaft. But the passengers side is on a shaft that is not designed to be removed from the diff. The dealer's solution is to replace the diff with the passengers CV shaft, some will stock an aftermarket rebuild kit for those outside of warranty. I was able to slide the whole diff out with the CV shaft on and then reinstall it the same way when I was done.

Users who are viewing this thread