5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Limited not taking fuel

Ken R.

Reaction score
I own a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with 51,000 miles. Recently it developed a problem where I am unable to fill the gas tank without the pump clicking off every half gallon or less of gas going into it. I am aware of a TSB that is out for gas tank replacement because of a valve inside. My question is would this be covered under the emissions warranty or do I have to purchase a gas tank myself? I am capable of replacing it. The problem is it costs $700 or more just for the tank. If anyone has experience with this problem please let me know what fixed it for you. Thank you in advance!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The problem is in the filler neck, and it doesn’t necessarily require a whole new tank. At least not in the newer trucks…yours being a 2019 might have the unserviceable tank though. Perhaps someone with more fine-tuned knowledge on the differences could weigh in.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
1500 5.7 not taking fuel? WHAT?!?! About 99% of people on this forum wish they had this problem!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think people have gotten it replaced via the emissions warranty unfortunately. Would onyl be covered in the 3 year limited warranty.

Sometimes tilting the pump 30-50 degrees to the side helps getting it filled up.
I have had this problem since I bought my 22 new. Around 50% of the pumps I use I have problems with expect my local BJs (and 80% of the pumps there don't work for me either).

Ken R.

Reaction score
I own a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with 51,000 miles. Recently it developed a problem where I am unable to fill the gas tank without the pump clicking off every half gallon or less of gas going into it. I am aware of a TSB that is out for gas tank replacement because of a valve inside. My question is would this be covered under the emissions warranty or do I have to purchase a gas tank myself? I am capable of replacing it. The problem is it costs $700 or more just for the tank. If anyone has experience with this problem please let me know what fixed it for you. Thank you in advance!
Last night I ordered a new filler neck so I'm going to try replacing that and see if that takes care of it. It seems like moving the pump nozzle around doesn't provide any help in filling the tank. Usually I can get .3 gallons in before the pump clicks off.

South Texas Aggie

Reaction score
I had the tank replaced twice under warranty, the second time with a supposedly new tank design. and it has started doing it again. I called the dealership and was told that there is a two year parts warranty on the replaced tank. Great. So I take it In and they tell me it isn’t the tank, but the fuel pump. I told them it is acting exactly the same as the other two times. Nope, they say, fuel pump. $1,800 to repair. Nope, I say, so they charge me a $189 diagnostic fee. Can anyone explain to me how a fuel pump can stop the tank from taking fuel?

Ken R.

Reaction score
Replacing the fuel filter neck did fix the problem I was having with the truck. It cost about $65 all together with shipping and I Installed it myself. It wasn't very difficult and now I'm able to fill the tank without the pump clicking off.

Attachments

• 20240107_094415.jpg
    20240107_094415.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20240114_205513_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20240114_205513_Video Player.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 42

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Replacing the fuel filter neck did fix the problem I was having with the truck. It cost about $65 all together with shipping and I Installed it myself. It wasn't very difficult and now I'm able to fill the tank without the pump clicking off.
did you happen to document the install with a video?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
did you happen to document the install with a video?
I'm interested too.
Looks like this is less than $40, I would try this if there is a chance it fixes it. (looking at the part I would suspect it would)

Unfortunately the person JUST installed it, and lots of people have reported installing this and having problems 1-3 months after.

Merlin

Reaction score
I had the same problem 2 decembers ago, they replaced the filler neck and it still happened. They wound up replacing the whole gas tank, they said there was a problem with the baffles inside. I was under warranty at the time. And one of the reasons I opted for the extended warranty.

Ken R.

Reaction score
I had the same problem 2 decembers ago, they replaced the filler neck and it still happened. They wound up replacing the whole gas tank, they said there was a problem with the baffles inside. I was under warranty at the time. And one of the reasons I opted for the extended warranty.
When I had the filler neck out I got a mirror up inside to look at the tank. This pic is of the mirror, looking into the tank where the big hose from the filler neck attaches to the tank. You can see the white disk inside the tank. It's got light spring pressure keeping it closed. A back flow preventer to keep fuel in the tank I would assume. I can see that being a potential problem if it gets stuck closed, preventing gas from entering the tank while filling. Mine was still springy (you can push it down with your finger) and seemed okay. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed at the filler neck repair will last, but so far it fixed the problem for me.

Attachments

• 20240107_103410.jpg
    20240107_103410.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

byounghusband

Reaction score
I have been having a similar issue, but it only seems to occur when the temps are below freezing. But it doesn't happen ALL the time. I was fortunate to be able to do a full fill the other day after having to do 1/2 gallon at a time for the previous 3 tanks. I few years back, I took it in, and they wouldn't/couldn't figure it out at all. Now that Warranty is up, I figure they will want a crap ton to fix it. I might follow your lead and buy the neck.

Wirerat

Reaction score
I never add extra clicks after the pump stops. Newer vehicles evap system is sensitive to over filling.

BigBuss54

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2021 Rebel. It’s super annoying. All I do is pull the gas pump nozzle out about an inch after I put it all the way in (I know I know. I know. Sounds bad). That almost always does the trick and never clicks off.

ckimmel

Reaction score
The problem is in the filler neck, and it doesn’t necessarily require a whole new tank. At least not in the newer trucks…yours being a 2019 might have the unserviceable tank though. Perhaps someone with more fine-tuned knowledge on the differences could weigh in.
The dealer started with the filler neck on my 2019. Charged me for that work and it didn't work. You'd have thought they'd have tried to put gas in the truck after the fix. They ended up changing my tank 'under warranty' thank goodness. That fixed my issue.

sdennis247

Reaction score
This fixed my 2020 Ram1500 fuel fill problem (so far). I bought the truck with 30K miles on it almost 2 years ago and it acted up on filling a couple of times in the past but not too bad. It seemed to me that something was obstructing the flow of gas sometimes. Fuel would actually be at the level of the top of fill tube at times (btw, it is a capless neck). I believe it is the roll over valve in the top of the tank that causes the problem. Anyway, about 6 weeks ago it got ridiculous!!! 20 minutes to try and trickle in $20 worth of gas and at multiple different gas stations. I gave up on filling the tank! So, here's what I did. I saw a video online with some guy that had a seriously clogged fuel vapor filter...I decided to check mine and after taking it down and apart, it was super clean and not fuel wet. Before I put it back together, I thought it would be a good idea to blow back thru the hose into the tank to make sure it's not stopped up. Blew in, all I did was pressurize the tank and the exhaust came right back out of the hose. That leads me to believe that did not cure my problem. After putting that back together, I decided I wanted to blow into the tank from the filler neck to open that check valve but how?... Since my garage is a cluster fluck of stuff laying around right now, I saw an old toilet flapper to use as a seal and short piece of 3/4 pvc pipe to blow into. I cut a cross slit in the top of the flapper and shoved the pipe thru it (see attached pics, if I have to do it again, I will use 1/2 pipe to get thru the secondary flap in the tank). ANYWAY, I stuck it in the filler neck, and the seal worked great. I blew and it seemed like there was a lot of restriction that eased up soon. I thought it might just be my imagination but finished up and went straight to the gas station. I fully expected no change, but Viola! Filled it up!! I was ecstatic! And I just filled up again today, no problem! I know this post may sound crazy, but I was an auto mechanic for 25 years when I wore a different hat, so I know how things work. For those having serious gas fill issues, I think the problem is likely the roll over float or flap or whatever it's called is getting stuck almost completely closed and need to be pushed open. Apparently, the weight of the fuel going in isn't enough to open it, pressure needs to be applied. I hope this helps someone out there! Thanks, and God Bless, Sean

Attachments

• 20240216_150317.jpg
    20240216_150317.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240216_150341.jpg
    20240216_150341.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 19

Mikefs234

Reaction score
2019 bighorn, same issue,dealership is replacing tank and filler.unfortunately it’s out of my pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread