5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Metallic grey Laramie w/tow

derp

Reaction score
Hello neighbors.

I like the forums for tips on mods, accessories, Easter eggs.

I'm also trawling through the posts to see if what I want to do to my truck is common desire for others, and see if I can actually make a go out of making a kit to mod what I want.

In my case I want to make an aftermarket power fold kit for the tow mirrors on the DT. I don't want the sport mirrors. they are nice, but the ship has sailed on 360 camview of the truck and I like the big blind spot mirrors built into my tow mirrors. My thinking has been to use some off the shelf compact servos and a 3d printed to zinc cast mechanism. I'll print the prototype in PLA which is just for fittment, then use that prototype print to make a rough cast for zinc. I can then polish up the zinc casting to remove the defects from 3d printing and make a final cast with that. maybe zinc, maybe aluminum.

I figure an arduino w/servo control shield tied to the accessory power rail can signal on/off along with a manual fold/unfold button. to keep from draining the main system battery in case of a stall, I think I'll power it from accessory rail charged 18650 li-ion battery packs which really only need to last long enough to fold the mirrors after shutting off the truck (because I want auto fold).

Another mod I am considering is adding a 360cam DVR system to the truck and locking it to the cargo camera input (not in use on mine). then taking the DVR part of the cam and auto uploading it to secure storage via the onboard hotspot .
I also intend the same treatment for Drivers side door approach and a couple of cabin camera views in case I ever need to have an exact record of how a traffic stop happens or other service window kind of meyhem.
if I could figure a way to get the telemetry out of the truck for things like the collision avoidance I'd love to record that too and upload to my secure storage. I imagine this will be one of the OBD2 kind of setups to a datalogger. I think this will be nice for matching up to cameras and saying "what was it doing when you heard that sound?".

All of the tech I want to mod in is within reach, so I'll have to make it happen in my own integration as I don't see one available as a retail package.
Career wise I am a systems and network engineer with a long hobby in robotics. I think I can make this work, the forums are giving me ideas on how to get there (and where to get seat covers for the back to keep doghair from being a problem).

yay forums!

Users who are viewing this thread