5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Longhorn needs brakes at 16k miles?

dotScott

Reaction score
I have owned this 2019 Longhorn for 2 years now and just passed 16,000 miles. I noticed the rear brake rotors are only wearing or making contact on about 3/4". The rest is rusted. Front rotors are not contacting 1/2" from the outside. I went to the local dealer to get service as it was due for an inspection, oil change, and tire rotation. For those items I was quoted a little over $800. This seems ridiculous on a couple levels. 1, the cost and 2, why are my brakes requiring replacement after only 16k miles?

Service guy said he had never seen a rear brake job that high, must be because it's a Longhorn. To my knowledge, the Longhorn brakes are the same as all other editions. I do have tow package but don't tow often and usually not heavy loads.

Am I paying a Longhorn tax? Has anyone else had a similar experience? I know they are considered consumables but do I have any recourse with RAM ?

I would do them myself as it's a pretty simple job but I can't find any suppliers, local or online, that have pads and rotors in stock.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is very odd, probably something very rare. I have 52k mikes and not even close to needing changed. Hopefully it’s an easy fix and your next set lasts as they should.
Not to imply your a bad driver, but have other vehicles you’ve owned had normal brake wear (50k plus miles). Only reason I ask is that I know a couple people who drive with two feet and go through brakes like crazy.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I went almost 70K miles on my 2015 and there was still a little left... Something is wrong.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd take the pads out and make sure the sliders are properly greased. From the description it sounds like you don't drive much and the rust that builds up isn't being worn off

Redfour5

Reaction score
It's still under warranty... MAKE SURE, they fix it. AND, don'' let them give you any bunk about brakes not being covered blah blah blah... The wear patterns alone and how the encompass multiple wheels are evidence.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's still under warranty... MAKE SURE, they fix it. AND, don'' let them give you any bunk about brakes not being covered blah blah blah... The wear patterns alone and how the encompass multiple wheels are evidence.

I think brakes are only 1 yr/12k

TexasDrone

Reaction score
I have 37000 miles on a one ton Megacab and haul huge 42ft 5th wheel and mine are fine.
243da1664e58753016879c55d8792b54.jpg

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
2021 RAM 3500 Blackout Megacab
2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS
2020 Jayco NorthPoint 382FL
2021 Luxe Elite 42FL

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have owned this 2019 Longhorn for 2 years now and just passed 16,000 miles. I noticed the rear brake rotors are only wearing or making contact on about 3/4". The rest is rusted. Front rotors are not contacting 1/2" from the outside. I went to the local dealer to get service as it was due for an inspection, oil change, and tire rotation. For those items I was quoted a little over $800. This seems ridiculous on a couple levels. 1, the cost and 2, why are my brakes requiring replacement after only 16k miles?

Service guy said he had never seen a rear brake job that high, must be because it's a Longhorn. To my knowledge, the Longhorn brakes are the same as all other editions. I do have tow package but don't tow often and usually not heavy loads.

Am I paying a Longhorn tax? Has anyone else had a similar experience? I know they are considered consumables but do I have any recourse with RAM ?

I would do them myself as it's a pretty simple job but I can't find any suppliers, local or online, that have pads and rotors in stock.

Almost 37k on my ‘19 Longhorn with no braking issues.

You are correct, the brakes are the same as other trim levels.

dotScott

Reaction score
That is very odd, probably something very rare. I have 52k mikes and not even close to needing changed. Hopefully it’s an easy fix and your next set lasts as they should.
Not to imply your a bad driver, but have other vehicles you’ve owned had normal brake wear (50k plus miles). Only reason I ask is that I know a couple people who drive with two feet and go through brakes like crazy.
Thanks for the reply. I tend to be hard on brakes but I had a Subaru Tribeca for 9 years and I may have changed out pads and rotors once. Doesn't seem right to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online