5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Lonestar Classic - Bad Paint Job in the Truck Bed - dealer says it is intentional

Bram2019

Reaction score
Oh man, I specifically asked and negotiated for the Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan, Maximum Care Plan, but the dealer's finance guy snuck in paperwork for a warranty underwritten by the "Preferred Protection Plan" insurance company based out of Austin, TX (horrible reviews). Both Mopar and Preferred have the same plan name "Maximum Plan" for Preferred and "Maximum Care" for the Mopar so it was real easy for the finance guy to just point to the plan name as proof that it was the Mopar Protection Plan, he said the paperwork referred to it differently but that it was the Mopar warranty. I kept pointing at the Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan brochure and reaffirmed twice that it was the plan I wanted, he confirmed yes every time. Luckily I can cancel the plan for a full refund which I am doing day after Christmas. I am going to flame these guys on reviews once this is all over, caveat emptor is Latin for buyer beware but maybe it is time to regulate and license sales reps in Texas. I will also look into TXDOT as well.
Just cancel the service contract asap and buy a Mopar plan from Zeigler. Do a search here about a thread for Mopar contracts. There is a nice coupon available to forum members here. Can be done completely online or you can call them.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Not to dog pile on you when you're probably already mad, but when the dealership lied to you, you knew you needed to be wary. You even made an internet forum thread about it, and had the truck checked out and still went through with it. That they screwed you again when given the chance isn't surprising, that you took the deal despite all of the red flags is.

JonR88

Reaction score
Total crap. I would also call into question th Elaine job for the rest if the truck. The salesmen is either lying to you or just stupid. Either way, find another truck and salesman.

TexasDrew

Reaction score
Total crap. I would also call into question th Elaine job for the rest if the truck. The salesmen is either lying to you or just stupid. Either way, find another truck and salesman.
Yep, I took it to a top paint and body shop for an inspection, their lead tech said it was just in the bed and they probably just assumed a bed liner would be installed and let it go through QC.

TexasDrew

Reaction score
Not to dog pile on you when you're probably already mad, but when the dealership lied to you, you knew you needed to be wary. You even made an internet forum thread about it, and had the truck checked out and still went through with it. That they screwed you again when given the chance isn't surprising, that you took the deal despite all of the red flags is.
in the end they gave me the 8 year 125K warranty below their cost and way cheaper than Ziegler or anyone else I checked with. The signing was around the holidays so the lead finance guy was out and his replacement was sub par. I did confirm with Mopar that the warranty was inputted correctly and in place.

TexasDrew

Reaction score
In the end, they gave me the free spray in bedliner (it looks great and lifetime warranty), moved the purchase price $2,000 below the next cheapest dealership, including those in Houston and Dallas. Then they discounted the full/MaxCare extended warranty 8/125,000 below other dealerships including Ziegler and others. The paint and body shop was one of the best in the area and their top tech said the poor paint was just in the bed of the truck, was probably just poorly applied undercoat and he did not see, nor did he think it was indicative of the rest of the paint on the truck; independent bed-liner company was also top notch and said the same thing (no rust or other issues with the steel in the bed). The warranty was incorrectly done by a new finance manager and was voided as it had not been processed yet. The senior finance manager had come back from Christmas vacation and did the final warranty with the extra discount applied; I confirmed it with Mopar. Never had a good experience with a dealership (stealership) yet and at this point the truck was so cheap that I just took it and moved forward with the deal. Yes I could have gone to another dealership but I would have had to pay a lot more for the truck and warranty, not to mention my time which is very expensive. I did let the salesrep know, in front of the GM and Finance Managers, that you should never lie/mislead but instead say, "I don't know" or "let me check on that", I am sure it changed his outlook on his profession and increased his business acumen; ya right. Happy to be done looking, finally "married" and so far I love this truck; fingers crossed...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread