5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Limited with 275/55R20 recomendations please

Reaction score
hello i need some new tires and i have read through the posts and come up with falken wildpeak at3w being the most popular on here. I live in the NE and love how quiet my tires are now but they have never been that good in the snow or rain. I would love some tires that do all three well. Also how big can i go without any rubbing? Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Barqs

Reaction score
The Wildpeak AT3W's are more aggressive and you will definitely hear more road noise than you did with the factory H/T tires, but so far I've been very happy with my decision to swap to the AT3W. They are pretty good in the rain, but I haven't had much of a chance to test them on anything else. Others swear by them in the snow, but I don't think we'll be seeing any here in the south.

As far as up-sizing goes, I've seen several who have bumped up to a 275/65R20 with no complaints about any rubbing. I thought about it but stayed with the stock 275/55R20 to keep the fuel economy close. The larger tire size may force you to an LT rated tire, which is heavier. Great if you are towing heavy campers, but a bit overkill if you aren't hauling/towing IMO. Opinions are all over the map on LT vs P tires for a truck, but I'm happy staying with the P in my situation. Good luck!

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Something else to consider with the Falken A/T3W is that the 275/55R20 size has an XL load rating and is 6 ply, the 275/60R20 has an SL load rating and is 4 ply. The A/T3WA that Falken makes for RAM is also 4 ply and has an SL load rating. When the A/T3WAs on my truck wear out I will go with the non-OEM Falkens in the original 275/55R20 size to get the increased load rating and ply. Sam's had them for around $188, can't beat them at that price.

Last edited:

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m with you there except I’m going to the 275/60/20 like the OEM size used to be on the 4th gen models. I don’t know why Ram switched to the smaller tire, the 33” is the right size, the 32” is too small IMO

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m with you there except I’m going to the 275/60/20 like the OEM size used to be on the 4th gen models. I don’t know why Ram switched to the smaller tire, the 33” is the right size, the 32” is too small IMO
If I had to guess it was to save 0.1 MPG (maybe 0.2)

gpbst3

Reaction score
I decided on Cooper at3 4s. Went up a size to 275 60 20. Not super aggressive but still 3 peak snow rated. Plus they are made on the USA. Getting them installed next week.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I decided on Cooper at3 4s. Went up a size to 275 60 20. Not super aggressive but still 3 peak snow rated. Plus they are made on the USA. Getting them installed next week.
Friendly head's up, you'll be going about 3 MPH faster than your speedo says when you're on the highway.

kevinjones1997

Reaction score

Would you be willing to post a pic of your truck when they get installed?

Wxgs333

Reaction score
Lost about 1.5mpg. Im hoping its gets better. I didnt think I would lose that much
Is that by on board computer or hand calculation? Counted the fact that the real mileage is higher with larger tires?

Barqs

Reaction score
Lost about 1.5mpg. Im hoping its gets better. I didnt think I would lose that much
Just remember that you are covering more ground than the odometer is showing, so your mileage calculations are also impacted by the tire size. If you were to get the speedometer recalibrated to the larger tires you would see a slightly improved fuel economy number, but it will likely still be lower due to the rotating mass difference.

Anchor Down

Reaction score
Just mounted Michelin S2s and it's the quietest tire I have ever experienced. Granted, they are not cheap but you get what you pay for and I've used them on my last three trucks.

Vilas15

Reaction score
I will probably go with 275/60R20 at some point in the future. What exactly needs to be done to recalibrate the speedometer?

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will probably go with 275/60R20 at some point in the future. What exactly needs to be done to recalibrate the speedometer?
Buy a speedometer calibrator for around $200. Rough Country, Hypertech, and Superchips make them. Also, the Taser DT can calibrate for tire size. I ordered a Hypertech 3400; still waiting for delivery.

Vilas15

Reaction score
Buy a speedometer calibrator for around $200. Rough Country, Hypertech, and Superchips make them. Also, the Taser DT can calibrate for tire size. I ordered a Hypertech 3400; still waiting for delivery.
Thanks, I read up on some other threads too. Insane the dealer cant do this. They sell a Mopar 2" lift, are you supposed to keep the same tires???

Not worth the additional size to me, guess I'll stick with the 275/55R20.

Users who are viewing this thread