5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Limited - Need help with tire selection - downsized from 22" to 20"

RAMSHEAD

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hope you are well. I'm new to the forum. I purchased a '19 Limited that came with the 22" wheel option (285/45/22). Wasn't super excited about the larger wheel so I purchased some RAM OEM 20" black wheels (take offs from a '20). The dilemma is now the tire purchase. Been racking my brain on this for weeks and literally exhausted from it. My desire is to not ruin the ride of the truck and I've been reading and in some cases warned that E load rated tires will do that. I need the tire to be good in the rain (live in the south) good on dry and be good enough in the snow as we do still get snow on occasion and I do ride up north to visit fam and mostly when there is a potential for snow. Fuel economy is also something I would like to keep in check and if possible I would like to get a slightly larger tire than the standard 275/55/20 and also a slightly more aggressive tire. I know this is asking a lot. My only real options seem to be the below with the other possible options being super heavy:

In 275/60/20:
Nitto RG's (XL) - 48lbs
Nitto TG's (XL) - 42lbs
Falken Wildpeak AT3/W's (D1) - 59lbs

In 285/55/20:
BFG T/A K02 (D1) - 56lbs

In 305/50/20: (This size might not be an option as I've read the tire might be too big for the 20x9 wheel (stretch it?) and the truck (rubbing?)
Toyo Open Country AT3 (XL) - 50 lbs
Nitto RG's (XL) - 50 lbs

From what I've been researching the Nitto's don't seem to be the greatest in the rain (the TG's in particular), the Falkens have gotten really good reviews but seem heavy (OG tire with vehicle was 40 lbs), BFG's seem heavy and mixed reviews on wet surfaces.

Just hoping for some advice and guidance from you all what you think I should go with even if you think sticking with 22"s and getting a tire on that wheel is the best option. I've done no modifications to the truck and really would like to keep it as is. Any and all responses are greatly appreciated! Thanks so much again and be well.

jkm312

Reaction score
Everybody has a tough time deciding what tire style and tire to put on their trucks. Myself included, just went thru the gauntlet, and made it to the other side a couple of weeks ago. Since you are changing wheel size, you will have to recalibrate the computer anyway to maintain accurate speedometer speeds and shift points for the tranny. I ran the OEM Duelers out to 16,000 miles. They weren't the worst tire I've dealt with, but I don't miss them. Would have run them out some more but, I will be taking a family member to medical treatments 90 miles away this winter. I wanted a tire that is a little more aggressive because this is a we gotta go situation unless it's just stupid to be on the road. Freezing rain on wet ice is where I quit. I was bouncing back and forth between Michelin Defenders and the Cooper AT3 4S, keeping the same size as OEM 275/55R/20. My truck is geared and programmed for that size tire and I saw no real advantage for me to change it. I settled on the (drum roll) Cooper's. These tires weigh in at 44lbs. Cooper makes the AT3's in both an LT and XLT. Heavier tire than I want or need for my purposes. Doesn't sound like you need an E rated tire unless you are loaded most of the time, or are towing a substantial trailer. Under normal circumstance I would have chosen the Michelin's.

So far the Cooper's are doing very well. Road noise is the same as the Dueller's. They handle better, smooth riding, corner just fine, rain isn't an issue, sure footed when braking. Can't speak to snow and ice yet. Gas mileage is within a 1/2 mile of where it was.

There are many threads about this very subject on these forums. You will find some very good recommendations and the reason why the choice was made. I did and found it helpful.

RAMSHEAD

Reaction score
Thanks for your response @german88. Any concerns with the load range being SL? I guess I was trying to stay within the XL load range on the truck. I guess that’s another reason why the options seem limited, no pun intended.

Thats a question for all too I guess. Load range SL okay for the truck?

german88

Reaction score
I’m fine with it. The heavier ply tires kill the ride quality for me. I have no problem towing my 7500lb boat on the lighter ply tires.

Users who are viewing this thread