5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Limited - LED Accent Strips Failure

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Hey all - I’m experiencing the first real “problem” with my truck in 3+ years and was hoping there might be an easy fix vs going to the dealer…

I noticed in a window reflection when pulling into a parking lot, this morning that the LED accent strips on my driver’s side headlight were no longer illuminated (passenger side is just fine). I cycled through all the headlight modes: parking lights, off, on, auto and noticed they would flicker intermittently but then go out. I also cycled through PRND, no change.

Finally, I shut my truck off and remote started - same symptoms. The LEDs would flicker and then go out (see video via Imgur link). FWIW the headlights themselves, turn signals, etc still work, it‘s just the LED accent strips causing issues and it’s driving me crazy, already.

Haven’t opened the hood, yet but I’m hoping maybe it’s a loose plug or something (though I doubt it) but my worst fear is having to waste time going to the dealer to get it replaced.

Thoughts? Anyone experience this before? Thanks, in advance everyone!

Last edited:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt this will help, but it's worth trying. In your Uconnect settings, try turning off your DRL's. Then turn them back on, and see if anything is different. Just wondering if there's a chance that the computer is sending conflicting signals/voltages to the lights. I say this because I had something slightly similar when I installed my Tazer DT (but it cleared up after I tinkered with the settings a few times).

wangstarr03

Reaction score
I doubt this will help, but it's worth trying. In your Uconnect settings, try turning off your DRL's. Then turn them back on, and see if anything is different. Just wondering if there's a chance that the computer is sending conflicting signals/voltages to the lights. I say this because I had something slightly similar when I installed my Tazer DT (but it cleared up after I tinkered with the settings a few times).
Appreciate the reply, nonetheless. The "DRL settings" was actually the first thing I checked; that's when I learned that the DRL for our trucks is actually the low beams at reduced power, not the actual LED strips which are considered "accent lighting".

I do have the Mopar MVP extended warranty but I seriously wonder how many hoops I'll have to jump through just to get this fixed.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The LED lights aren't DRLs. The FRL is the low team headlight. The whitecLED strip is called "signature lighting" and can be turned on/off with alfaObd or the Tazer

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I guess the Tazer terminology has me mixed up. Tazer calls them DRL's, and that's the setting that changes my upper/lower strips to amber.

1675369080957.png

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Its funny you mentioned this. I dropped my wife off at PT last week and noticed an issue with mine. It was drizzling, and in the reflection of the windows I saw that every time my wipers swiped, one DRL would drop out, then come back on. After playing it it for a while, I did a full reboot of my Tazer and everything is fine now

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I guess the Tazer terminology has me mixed up. Tazer calls them DRL's, and that's the setting that changes my upper/lower strips to amber.

View attachment 150540
On the limiteds and TRX, those LEDs are also your turn signals. Got use lowely poverty BigHorn trucks it's just signature lighting that is on all the time

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Its funny you mentioned this. I dropped my wife off at PT last week and noticed an issue with mine. It was drizzling, and in the reflection of the windows I saw that every time my wipers swiped, one DRL would drop out, then come back on. After playing it it for a while, I did a full reboot of my Tazer and everything is fine now
Interesting. I don’t have a tazer but I wonder if maybe pulling a battery terminal could help?

Do we know if the accent strips are on their own fuse?

HemiDude

Reaction score
I would absolutely disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few minutes before I did anything else on a newer vehicle. I’ve seen it help on many different makes and models.

wangstarr03

Reaction score
I would absolutely disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few minutes before I did anything else on a newer vehicle. I’ve seen it help on many different makes and models.
Was planning on doing this and glad someone else co-signed. That being said, seems like disconnecting the negative terminal made things worst…

Upon initial remote start after reconnecting the battery, the LED accent lights came on just fine. It wasn’t until I got in the truck and started the ignition cycle that things went downhill…there are several features/settings all of a sudden missing from the UConnect screen:

- passenger side heated/ventilated seats
- suspension settings
- settings for “lights” is blank
- settings for “auto on comfort” is blank
- 360 camera (the backup camera also doesn’t engage in reverse)
- satellite radio

Those are just a few that I noticed - not to mention, the LED strips on the driver’s side went out, again.

Guess it’s off to the dealer I go…

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Was planning on doing this and glad someone else co-signed. That being said, seems like disconnecting the negative terminal made things worst…

Upon initial remote start after reconnecting the battery, the LED accent lights came on just fine. It wasn’t until I got in the truck and started the ignition cycle that things went downhill…there are several features/settings all of a sudden missing from the UConnect screen:

- suspension settings
- satellite radio

Those are just a few that I noticed - not to mention, the LED strips on the driver’s side went out, again.

It can take a few hours for those to show up on your UConnect screen after a battery disconnect.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score

- suspension settings
- satellite radio

Maybe you should wait a little longer for all your features to reappear before you panic.

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Maybe you should wait a little longer for all your features to reappear before you panic.
Not panicking, just stating.

I’d have to go to the dealer, anyway to get the LED strips diagnosed since they came back on and then went back off.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not panicking, just stating.

I’d have to go to the dealer, anyway to get the LED strips diagnosed since they came back on and then went back off.
Of course, that sounds like a problem.
It's easy to get spun up though, when other unrelated things pile up on an existing issue.

HemiDude

Reaction score

- suspension settings
- settings for “lights” is blank
- settings for “auto on comfort” is blank
- satellite radio

If heard anywhere from a few minutes to a whole day for all systems to reboot after doing this. Hopefully yours return soom

wangstarr03

Reaction score
If heard anywhere from a few minutes to a whole day for all systems to reboot after doing this. Hopefully yours return
Yep - features did return shortly, after but the LED issue persists. Will be scheduling a service appointment this week, not really looking forward to that but it is what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread