5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Limited leather dash bubbling/peeling question

ljinnc

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a 2019 Ram Limited with the leather dash that's peeling or bubbling. Is there a way to fix this that's not too expensive? What type of dash material is under the leather? Can it be reglued? Thanks

uscgmac

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy it unless it's still under warranty and you're having it fixed asap. Unless the damage is factored into the price I would look for a truck without the issue. Could be a long headache if not fixed correctly or completely replaced.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

HawtDogFlvrWtr

Reaction score
I just purchased a used 2019 with 11k miles but expired factory warranty with the dash issue. I had them write into the purchase that they’d replace at no charge, and they agreed. Been on order for 2 weeks now but they expect it soon. Extended warranty doesn’t cover it. Also, based on other threads about the issue, they’ve seem to have fixed the issue in newer models, and any dash you get now shouldn’t do the same thing for a far longer time of ever. The cost out of pocket is 1500 at most dealers.

This dealer offered me an additional 1500$ off to get it done myself but I didn’t choose this option because they give you a 1 year warranty on work they performed, so if it goes bad again in a year, they replace it for free.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smashweights

Reaction score

HawtDogFlvrWtr

Reaction score
So. The gentlemen who owned it before me had poodles, and I’m fairly certain that they pulled it with their claws. It looks like he tried to fix it and made it worse. Some of the wood trim had mail marks on it, and they replaced them as well.

TLDR; the dogs did it.

smashweights

Reaction score
So. The gentlemen who owned it before me had poodles, and I’m fairly certain that they pulled it with their claws. It looks like he tried to fix it and made it worse. Some of the wood trim had mail marks on it, and they replaced them as well.

TLDR; the dogs did it.

Oh well that's a totally different story

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yup...makes sense about the dogs...people let their foo-foo dogs sit up on the dash, or when they leave them in the truck, they like to sit up there cause it's warmer, and they can see everything. "I saw a toy poodle kill a German Shepard once......it got lodged in it's throat!"....

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All fixed. Before and after pictures. I hope you were able to get them to write into the purchase contract that they’ll fix it.
View attachment 144492
View attachment 144493
View attachment 144494
View attachment 144495

Also looks like they updated the leather dash. The 1st pics leather dash isn't the same material as the repaired dash pics. My leather dash locks the same as the replaced dash leather but not at all like the 1st pic.

VictorK

Reaction score
Mine started bubbling up at about 18K miles but they said it wasn't covered under warranty when calling my local dealer. WTF...? kind of crazy. You'd figure there would be a way to inject glue through a needle a the seems and repair it without the total replacing of the dash. This happened just after I bought out my lease too. Then my backup cam got foggy and no more visible at night, I replaced the cam and now the guidance lines can't be turned on even in the menu, if i put the old cam in they come on, new cam they won't. Is there a trick I'm not aware of? I did go to the settings camera settings to turn on those lines.

RAL

Reaction score
I had a bad experience with a BMW with a leather covered dash years ago. They look very nice but they are, in my opinion, a bad idea and a real headache when they go bad. I eventually just had BMW put in the standard dash. If it were my truck and the leather dash went bad, I would have the dealer replace it, if possible, with a non leather dash that fits. Avoids the inevitable future headache, particularly if you live in a hot climate.

VictorK

Reaction score
I had a bad experience with a BMW with a leather covered dash years ago. They look very nice but they are, in my opinion, a bad idea and a real headache when they go bad. I eventually just had BMW put in the standard dash. If it were my truck and the leather dash went bad, I would have the dealer replace it, if possible, with a non leather dash that fits. Avoids the inevitable future headache, particularly if you live in a hot climate.
I just ordered some leather glue and a few syringes to try and inject glue between the substrate and the leather. I will record it and post to youtube and share the video here and let you know how it turns out. Where there's a will there is a way. Unfortunately on a vehicle this expensive, one would hope it would have been warranteed.

Zogg44

Reaction score
I just ordered some leather glue and a few syringes to try and inject glue between the substrate and the leather. I will record it and post to youtube and share the video here and let you know how it turns out. Where there's a will there is a way. Unfortunately on a vehicle this expensive, one would hope it would have been warranteed.

Have you tried injecting the glue yet?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have you tried injecting the glue yet?

I did it

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did it

Genius!

You'll have to let us know how it holds up over the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread