5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Limited 'Leather' cleaning

ACovelle

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Ive been trying to deep clean my 2019 limited but am hesitant to continue because I think I may be ruining the faux leather that lines the doors/dashboard. Im not quite sure exactly WHAT this material is, and how to appropriately clean it, so I've just been using warm water with a little dawn.

My problem is the drivers side pull handle on the door looks like it either wont get clean or I've taken off some kind of coating on it with attempted cleaning. it looks real worn and wont get looking back to new.

The first picture is the drivers side handle I'm talking about. The second is the passenger side (I'm trying to get the drivers side one looking like this)

Every time i rub i get black material coming off on the rag. I thought this was just grime/oil originally but it wont stop coming off.

Am i ruining it or is grime just really that deep in it? any help would be appreicated. Drivers Side.jpg Passenger side.jpg IMG_20220402_172430.jpg

Cajun_

Reaction score
warm water and soap, then interior apc, then a leather cleaner (NOT PROTECTANT)

go in order until its as clean as you want.

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
I wouldn't be using to my dish soap as you'll pull out all of the moisture from the rubber on that handle (The handle is rubber not leather, it's a different material that the leather inserts). Use a mild soap if using soap or just grab an interior specific cleaner like Total Clean from Chemical guys or something along those lines (Total is probably just the most accessible for everyone), hasn't caused any issues on mine and works great IMO for an easy over the shelf product.

Cajun_

Reaction score
I wouldn't be using to my dish soap as you'll pull out all of the moisture from the rubber on that handle (The handle is rubber not leather, it's a different material that the leather inserts). Use a mild soap if using soap or just grab an interior specific cleaner like Total Clean from Chemical guys or something along those lines (Total is probably just the most accessible for everyone), hasn't caused any issues on mine and works great IMO for an easy over the shelf product.
I just use the dove for men from my shower. Dawn dish soap will pull all the oil out of the leather and make it crack eventually.

I also recommend getting your leather ceramic coated.

mysticbus

Reaction score
So my best friend owns two car dealerships, and has been a car dealer his whole life. He has a trick for cleaning real and fake leather and it works really good.

Gojo. The old fashioned gelatinous creme without any abrasive in it. A little on a rag and they clean right up.

ACovelle

Reaction score
I just use the dove for men from my shower. Dawn dish soap will pull all the oil out of the leather and make it crack eventually.

I also recommend getting your leather ceramic coated.
Sounds good, thanks. Ive been using Lexol leather Cleaner, followed by their leather conditioner on all the seats and arms, just not the dash. Im thinking maybe the leather cleaner pulled the dye out of the door handle and that's all the black that's coming up (I just mistook it for grime).

Just bought a bottle of chemical guys leather serum as a UV protectant to start putting on once I get it cleaned and conditioned.

Last edited:

Cajun_

Reaction score
Sounds good, thanks. Ive been using Lexol leather Cleaner, followed by their leather conditioner on all the seats and arms, just not the dash. Im thinking maybe the leather cleaner pulled the dye out of the door handle and that's all the black that's coming up (I just mistook it for grime).

Just bought a bottle of chemical guys leather serum as a UV protectant to start putting on once I get it cleaned and conditioned.
I tend to avoid leather cleaners unless i absolutely have to. An Interior APC sprayed onto a damp microfiber is all ive every needed besides where i rest my elbow on the window sill. Ive been using the chemical guys stuff since i like the smell of it. It a yellow liquid.

Users who are viewing this thread