5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Limited just purchased and falling into the black hold of water leak research

BobThrasher

Reaction score
Hello all, new member here, found this forum during my internet research for water leak on the 5th gen. Purchased at the end of summer and now the first rain storms here in Seattle are bringing the dreaded wet carpet. My symptoms are wet carpets throughout the vehicle, driver front, passenger front, and all across the rear. Wetter in some spots than others, but no place is safe. I've got a Limited w dual sunroof and sliding rear window.

I've started into all the known places to look for leaks and have only found one culprit so far. The roof drain tube on rear wall driver side, had a poorly fitting rubber pass-through seal so added a lot of Lexel to seal it up. Hose test across the rear and sunroof do not show anything else that is really apparent or visible. No wetness seen anywhere on the roof or headliner.

I'm of course just outside the CarMax 30 days return window but have the extended warranty and a service appt. I also opened a "ticket" with Ram directly but have had no response for two weeks. Really scared about this and having problems for the family and kids in the vehicle. In Seattle this will only get worse and worse.

Would love any advice or insights to engage Ram Cares for assistance.
Thanks in advance!

raygun9

Reaction score
I would guess cracked rear window but there was also an issue on the driver side A pillar weld for earlier gen5s as well as the pinch weld for the doors behind the inner gasket.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello all, new member here, found this forum during my internet research for water leak on the 5th gen. Purchased at the end of summer and now the first rain storms here in Seattle are bringing the dreaded wet carpet. My symptoms are wet carpets throughout the vehicle, driver front, passenger front, and all across the rear. Wetter in some spots than others, but no place is safe. I've got a Limited w dual sunroof and sliding rear window.

I've started into all the known places to look for leaks and have only found one culprit so far. The roof drain tube on rear wall driver side, had a poorly fitting rubber pass-through seal so added a lot of Lexel to seal it up. Hose test across the rear and sunroof do not show anything else that is really apparent or visible. No wetness seen anywhere on the roof or headliner.

I'm of course just outside the CarMax 30 days return window but have the extended warranty and a service appt. I also opened a "ticket" with Ram directly but have had no response for two weeks. Really scared about this and having problems for the family and kids in the vehicle. In Seattle this will only get worse and worse.

Thanks in advance!
One more thing to check. Cowl drain. if it plugs with debris, it can fill high enough to leak water through the heater box, on to the floor. One person said they could hear the fan touching the water, other people heard sloshing on turns.

KC@TX

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!
I have a 2019 Ram Laramie and had read about some folks having leaks. After noticing condensation on the inside of the windshield a couple of times, I feared the worst. Upon closer inspection, I found that the rear window bezel had a couple of cracks around the sliding glass portion. I also had some slight water staining in the upper corner area of the headliner.
I've had the truck about 1.5 yrs, 42,400 mi, extended warranty.
I took it to the local dealership and they checked it for leaks and determined that water was entering around the rear window. As it turns out, Ram has an extended warranty or "Service bulletin" on this due to the numerous issues. The replaced the "backlight" (window assy)
the whole thing, sliding glass and all at no charge. I'm not sure which other years may have the same problem but it's worth looking into. Best of luck.

Reactions: BC7

Users who are viewing this thread