5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Laramie Won’t drive until seatbelt buckled

Cndarch5

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie Sport 4x4 off-road brand new. I went to move it 5 inches back but wouldn’t move. I finally figured out that I had to buckle the driver seatbelt before it would move!!!! Really???!!! Does anyone know how to override this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whetrick1

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie Sport 4x4 off-road brand new. I went to move it 5 inches back but wouldn’t move. I finally figured out that I had to buckle the driver seatbelt before it would move!!!! Really???!!! Does anyone know how to override this?

Go into setting and I think it's under brakes. I think they got the auto parking brake turned on. If so it won't go into gear unless you have your seat belt buckled. But when you turn it off you will have to manually engage your parking brake.

Turin

Reaction score
Go into setting and I think it's under brakes. I think they got the auto parking brake turned on. If so it won't go into gear unless you have your seat belt buckled. But when you turn it off you will have to manually engage your parking brake.
The auto parking brake engages when you put the truck in park and disengages when you put it in gear with the driver's seat belt buckled. To disengage the parking brake without first buckling your seat belt, do it manually using the control by your left knee.

ramhead

Reaction score
The auto parking brake engages when you put the truck in park and disengages when you put it in gear with the driver's seat belt buckled. To disengage the parking brake without first buckling your seat belt, do it manually using the control by your left knee.

You sure?? I've put my 19 Ram in Drive without putting seatbelt on and was able to drive it without manually disengaging the parking brake and haven't changed any settings as of yet.

whetrick1

Reaction score
That's because the autopark brake isn't turned on in the settings.

ramhead

Reaction score
That's because the autopark brake isn't turned on in the settings.

Oh...ok, I thought from your description it was set that way as a default factory setting and one would have to change it to prevent it from happening.

ramhead

Reaction score
Yes

??? again.....What I'm saying is, No, my truck was not set that way as default......I did not make any changes to any settings but can still put it in drive without having seatbelt on and drive away. Unless the dealership changed it (which I doubt because they went to their offsite yard to get it for me and it had 3 miles on it), what you're saying may not apply in all cases.

Maple

Reaction score
Your sales guy might have turned it off for you. Mine went through a couple of settings (with me in the truck) to set up my phone, etc. It all happened really fast and then I got to drive my new truck home, though, I so I don't remember pretty much any of what he told me. :D

Cndarch5

Reaction score
So the auto park brake was set to on. I turned it off but the truck will not move until I buckle my seatbelt! This is the most “Nanny state” garbage I’ve ever seen.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the auto park brake was set to on. I turned it off but the truck will not move until I buckle my seatbelt! This is the most “Nanny state” garbage I’ve ever seen.

So I tried a few things just to see what the limits are and confirm what's in the manual:

The only time the truck won't move is if the driver's door is open and the seatbelt isn't buckled - then if you're in drive/reverse (ie backing up a boat or in a tight spot) and you open your door w/o seatbelt buckled, it'll go from Drive>Park. (no ebrake)

With 'Autopark' enabled, it uses the seatbelt to confirm you're in the vehicle and will auto disengage the ebrake. if you don't wear your seatbelt, all you have to do is hit the ebrake button and off you go, no seatbelt required (it'll just ding at you)

I'd say the most annoying part is if you're hopping in/out of the truck at a ramp etc and need to inch around w/the door open; you have to belt up (or just clip the belt in)

Cndarch5

Reaction score
Alright, I’ll give it a try and get back to you.

Rick J

Reaction score
So I tried a few things just to see what the limits are and confirm what's in the manual:

The only time the truck won't move is if the driver's door is open and the seatbelt isn't buckled - then if you're in drive/reverse (ie backing up a boat or in a tight spot) and you open your door w/o seatbelt buckled, it'll go from Drive>Park. (no ebrake)

With 'Autopark' enabled, it uses the seatbelt to confirm you're in the vehicle and will auto disengage the ebrake. if you don't wear your seatbelt, all you have to do is hit the ebrake button and off you go, no seatbelt required (it'll just ding at you)

I'd say the most annoying part is if you're hopping in/out of the truck at a ramp etc and need to inch around w/the door open; you have to belt up (or just clip the belt in)

Agreed. I drive around quite a bit in my local area without the seat belt fastened. In fact, I do it so often I disabled the seat belt chime.
To disable chime:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online