5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Harmon Kardon system blew up?

Ollie57

Reaction score
Joined this morning, hoping for help. 2019 Laramie (62k rather easy miles) with HK soundsystem, absolutely loved the audio in this truck probably the nicest factory system I have owned. This morning on my way to work changing XM stations the radio was FULL BLAST without touching the volume knob and now everything sounds muffled and tinny. Even putting the volume on 5-9 it starts to get rather loud (comparable to 15-20 before). Did the system implode? I moved the fader around to isolate each corner speakers and it sounds as if some aren't even working. The ones that are sound muffled with a distortion sound.

I did have and fix the dreaded rear window leak that was an issue for a bit.............

Out of warranty, thinking I'm screwed here?

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Ive been waiting to see if this was going to happen to somebody. Mine often fires up with the volume setting higher than where i left it, and the control is unresponsive for about 5 seconds while the truck runs through its system check procedure. This system does wacky things on a daily basis and from what ive read, its normal.
Considering you are in your 5th year, i doubt they will help you with warranty coverage, although it doesnt hurt to present your case. The reason this happened needs to be discovered, or you could spend a lot of money only for it to happen again !

Ollie57

Reaction score
So after a hard reboot which I didn't think would do anything, it's working fine. Out of the 19 speakers, only 4 were working and they sounded destroyed, now all is well. I had the dealer look at it yesterday and, to no ones surprise, they couldn't duplicate it. I showed them the rear window frame TSB and conveniently said my truck isn't one of the years it covers (we disagree). Dealer said there was no corrosion on any audio components.

I"ll just get along to go along at this point and hope it doesn't happen again.

Users who are viewing this thread