5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 eTorque stop/start not starting.

LVLAaron

Reaction score
2019 eTorque, 25k miles.

Twice in the past week the stop start feature has failed to start the engine correctly. I let off the brake and nothing happens. I step on the brake again and the gas pedal and it starts. The second time it happened the start was "slow" - Meaning, once it decided to start turning the motor I could see the tach going a few hundred RPM but not fast enough to start the motor.

All of this is happening while in traffic so I don't know if it would eventually start if I didn't press the pedals again.

Known issue?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2019 eTorque, 25k miles.

Twice in the past week the stop start feature has failed to start the engine correctly. I let off the brake and nothing happens. I step on the brake again and the gas pedal and it starts. The second time it happened the start was "slow" - Meaning, once it decided to start turning the motor I could see the tach going a few hundred RPM but not fast enough to start the motor.

All of this is happening while in traffic so I don't know if it would eventually start if I didn't press the pedals again.

Known issue?
You need that free feature the guy got in the opposite thread. His just doesn't stall out when he stops. Yours stalls out but doesn't start back.

Glad I went with a regular gas motor.

Sorry, I know that did not help.

LVLAaron

Reaction score
You need that free feature the guy got in the opposite thread. His just doesn't stall out when he stops. Yours stalls out but doesn't start back.

Glad I went with a regular gas motor.

Sorry, I know that did not help.

Heh, I'm actually a fan of the eTorque stop/start. I have rented two dozen different cars and the stop/start is incredibly awful because they use the starter motor... But we'll see what the dealer says about this to fix. I'm sure it wont be cheap.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
2019 eTorque, 25k miles.

Known issue?
imo one of the batteries are dying

LVLAaron

Reaction score
Well, that'd the the big lithium pack in the back. : (

No error codes or anything though?

bpwj76

Reaction score
I was in the drive thru picking up lunch just now and my engine shut off like it normally does. When the car in front of me moved up, I let off the brake to ease forward, but the engine didn't instantly come back to life like it usually does on a start/stop scenario. This time I heard what sounded like a slipping belt and the tach needle moved up to about 250 or so and kinda fluctuated up and down a bit then it went back to 0. Then the start/stop system tried again to restart the engine and it did the same thing... slipping belt sound and barely enough rpms. After that second attempt, the truck's regular starter motor was used to crank the engine and since I was still in drive it lunged forward a bit.

@LVLAaron, did you notice anything like I described?

LVLAaron

Reaction score
I was in the drive thru picking up lunch just now and my engine shut off like it normally does. When the car in front of me moved up, I let off the brake to ease forward, but the engine didn't instantly come back to life like it usually does on a start/stop scenario. This time I heard what sounded like a slipping belt and the tach needle moved up to about 250 or so and kinda fluctuated up and down a bit then it went back to 0. Then the start/stop system tried again to restart the engine and it did the same thing... slipping belt sound and barely enough rpms. After that second attempt, the truck's regular starter motor was used to crank the engine and since I was still in drive it lunged forward a bit.

@LVLAaron, did you notice anything like I described?

Hmm... Maybe! Belt makes a lot more sense than a weak battery - It still works 99 percent of the time and fires right up like the day I got it. I will check out the belt today and see what it looks like.

@bpwj76 is it cold where you are? I'm having these issues in cold weather (first time i've really driven the truck in ~20 degree weather)

BowDown

Reaction score
I've wondered how long these belts would last, these are the same belts using on factory LS supercharged cars and and there's a lot asked of these belts. The etorque pulley is small with a decent amount of belt wrap so theres definitely a significant load

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've wondered how long these belts would last, these are the same belts using on factory LS supercharged cars and and there's a lot asked of these belts. The etorque pulley is small with a decent amount of belt wrap so theres definitely a significant load
We’ll see…no belt failures reported in almost 4 years, but it seems like just a matter of time. Should be covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty, but we won’t know until someone tries to claim it. FWIW, FCA engineers claimed it’s a lifetime belt…however they define “lifetime”.

BowDown

Reaction score
We’ll see…no belt failures reported in almost 4 years, but it seems like just a matter of time. Should be covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty, but we won’t know until someone tries to claim it. FWIW, FCA engineers claimed it’s a lifetime belt…however they define “lifetime”.
Yeah, I've never heard of any failures either and I'd think it would last at least 5-7 years before stretching too much

bpwj76

Reaction score
Hmm... Maybe! Belt makes a lot more sense than a weak battery - It still works 99 percent of the time and fires right up like the day I got it. I will check out the belt today and see what it looks like.

@bpwj76 is it cold where you are? I'm having these issues in cold weather (first time i've really driven the truck in ~20 degree weather)
Yes, it was cold when it happened both times. Well, cold for Louisiana at about 35-40 degrees. However, the engine had been running for about 30 minutes when it did it the first time and only about 10 minutes on the second instance. It hasn't happened again since Friday though.

LVLAaron

Reaction score
Yes, it was cold when it happened both times. Well, cold for Louisiana at about 35-40 degrees. However, the engine had been running for about 30 minutes when it did it the first time and only about 10 minutes on the second instance. It hasn't happened again since Friday though.

Same.. It choked a couple random times and that's it. The belt and pulleys on mine still look great and brand new. I dont think it's a belt slipping.

LVLAaron

Reaction score
Went to the dealer for it's first dealer service. There were quite a few software updates for the issue. Time will tell.

dealer2.png

Users who are viewing this thread