5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 E-Torque - Lost Regen Braking?

BoxerguyT89

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 has the 5.7 with the e-torque. Up until a couple of weeks ago, my truck would regen brake pretty hard when letting off the gas. It was enough so that I rarely have to apply brakes and this has been great. I did have the start/stop not work at a stop sign and I had to start the truck with the push button, but no issues since then. This happened a couple of days before the braking "stopped."

Now, it feels like the regen braking has gone away entirely. The truck coasts and brakes smooth and I find myself still getting used to how slowly it sheds speed now. I have to apply way more brakes to get the truck to stop and it is very annoying. I want it back to the way it was before where I could feel it, like it downshifted without really downshifting.

Has anyone else "lost" their regen braking, if that is even what is happening?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never noticed the regen braking on the etorque, it has to be very little on such a small hybrid system.

BoxerguyT89

Reaction score
It could be that it was something else, but it follows the behavior mentioned in the manual.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
VI e had the etorque for 3 yrs and I was today years old when I found out it had regenerated braking.
I’ve never known or felt it personally

Last edited:

Bigtone

Reaction score
As others had mentioned, I have never noticed my regen braking on my 2021 Limited in almost 3 years of driving.

BoxerguyT89

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to make of it. It definitely has a different feeling than it used to. It was as if there was some strong engine braking happening.

There are a few other threads about e torque where users have mentioned the "downshift" feeling and "drag" when letting off the brakes. Most didn't like it because it isn't as smooth when stopping, but I did haha.

Guess I'll just get used to the regular braking. Everything is still functioning and my battery is charging like normal, so it's definitely working.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to make of it. It definitely has a different feeling than it used to. It was as if there was some strong engine braking happening.

There are a few other threads about e torque where users have mentioned the "downshift" feeling and "drag" when letting off the brakes. Most didn't like it because it isn't as smooth when stopping, but I did haha.

Guess I'll just get used to the regular braking. Everything is still functioning and my battery is charging like normal, so it's definitely working.
21s were recalled for that. It's not supposed to do it, they got a software update. My brother gained over 2 MPG afterwords.

BoxerguyT89

Reaction score
If that's the case, it looks like mine has fixed itself somehow.

No mpg change for me, still sitting around ~17.5mpg.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If that's the case, it looks like mine has fixed itself somehow.

No mpg change for me, still sitting around ~17.5mpg.
I got 19.7 on my trip home from Mark Dodge, 1,394 miles, and 1 1/2 hours of that was traffic jam. When not sitting in stopped traffic, 65 to 77 MPH.

BoxerguyT89

Reaction score
I got 19.7 on my trip home from Mark Dodge, 1,394 miles, and 1 1/2 hours of that was traffic jam. When not sitting in stopped traffic, 65 to 77 MPH.
Before the level and tires I could get 20-21mpg as I mostly drive highway, but after I have seen as high as 19 on an all highway tank. I usually hang around 17.5 with probably a 70hwy/30city mix.

Users who are viewing this thread