5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Dt 3.6L Engine ticking bank 1 with p219a

jv56

Reaction score
Good morning everyone.

I have a 2019 ram DT 3.6L with 94k on it. I have the tick on bank 1. I also have a p219a code saying bank 1 fuel to air ratio is out of balance. I have no exhaust leak.

I'm going to get to the repair it this weekend if the dealer has all the parts in stock, my question is is the p219a code related to the lifter/rocker issue I'm having? I wasn't sure this issue would throw that code?

It feels a little sluggish but no misfires that I can feel or no other code present. I reset the code and it stays in a temp memory for a few days then the CEL comes on.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
John

hogger

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I've had a P219B which is the same issue on bank 2 of my 2022 Hemi. Had it in the shop twice now, and I've not even had the truck a year. It's happened to me on road trips, so it manages to clear itself before making it into the dealer. The first time, it was still on the computer, and they said they checked a loose wiring TSB. The second time, it cleared off the computer entirely (dam 4 weeks to get into the shop BS), and they just ignored it. So good luck, and if you do find a cause, I'd appreciate a heads up so I know what to look for / try to get my dealer to look for.

jv56

Reaction score
Yeah the local dealer by me said since I didn't buy it from them I have NO access to service which ticked me off, even at my expense. I have an appointment I made a month ago for this upcoming Monday at a dealer 45 minutes away. I'm hoping this repair will fix the problem and I won't need the appointment. I got the parts from the dealer. I got 6 rockers and lifters for the intake cam at 100 a piece, yeah. I got the exhaust rockers and lifters, a new valve cover gasket, a new pcv valve. I'll try and unplug and plug in whatever connectors I see maybe that will help. I have the alpha obd app and I see nothing wrong with the engine besides that code. No misfires, I checked for vacuum leak, I checked for exhaust leak. I replaced my b1s2 o2 sensor. I checked my cat with a infrared thermometer. all seems fine. I'll check the fuel injectors with my multimeter. I'll let you know.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah the local dealer by me said since I didn't buy it from them I have NO access to service which ticked me off, even at my expense. I have an appointment I made a month ago for this upcoming Monday at a dealer 45 minutes away. I'm hoping this repair will fix the problem and I won't need the appointment. I got the parts from the dealer. I got 6 rockers and lifters for the intake cam at 100 a piece, yeah. I got the exhaust rockers and lifters, a new valve cover gasket, a new pcv valve. I'll try and unplug and plug in whatever connectors I see maybe that will help. I have the alpha obd app and I see nothing wrong with the engine besides that code. No misfires, I checked for vacuum leak, I checked for exhaust leak. I replaced my b1s2 o2 sensor. I checked my cat with a infrared thermometer. all seems fine. I'll check the fuel injectors with my multimeter. I'll let you know.
My ram dealer will not take a customer unless the vehicle was purchased from them also. First question the service adviser asked when I went to make an appointment.

jv56

Reaction score
I ended up having one lifter stuck on the exhaust side of bank1. I also had 4 rockers on the intake side of bank 1 that were crushed down about 1/4''. I ended up changing the intake cam, all 12 lifters and 12 rockers. Code 219a is gone. Truck sounds great. I can also feel a little more power. Hope this helps someone.

hogger

Reaction score
My ram dealer will not take a customer unless the vehicle was purchased from them also. First question the service adviser asked when I went to make an appointment.
Wow, and I thought it was bad around my area that they won't look at anything for a month+. I did have one dealer tell me they had no access to the service records from the previous dealer because they're a franchise... but I though all dealers were franchises. Very different from getting my Toyota serviced... They had access to all the records... except for the one dealer that apparently didn't enter them in properly for a while. Can't say I'm too surprised given the serive.

hogger

Reaction score
I ended up having one lifter stuck on the exhaust side of bank1. I also had 4 rockers on the intake side of bank 1 that were crushed down about 1/4''. I ended up changing the intake cam, all 12 lifters and 12 rockers. Code 219a is gone. Truck sounds great. I can also feel a little more power. Hope this helps someone.
Wow thanks for the follow up. With all that, I'm surprised nothing else was wrong and giving additional codes. I'm not set up to take apart my engine, and I doubt any of the dealers will be so involved (last one said they drove it around a bunch to try to reproduce, but I only saw <1mi on the odometer).

Pcustoms

Reaction score
Merry Christmas to me...

2021 5.7, with 28.5 k on the clock.

Driving back from visiting family, doing about 70 on the highway and the check engine light comes on. About 15 miles later I stop at a rest area and pull a p219a code.

Nothing obvious under the hood, oil is fine, try to clear the code and it won't. Truck might be idling a little rough but other than cylinder deactivation is deactivated driving okay on the highway. No other real choice on Christmas day than to continue another hundred miles home.

Only issue before today is a small exhaust leak under the passenger side of the cab in one of the joints, and then last week I went to turn the front park assist back on and it just flash's service soon.

Seems the urgency level to bring this into the shop as increased..

Last edited:

barrak

Reaction score
If you sign up to My RAM at (Ram Customer Account Login Page | My Account | Ram Trucks), you'll have access to your truck's repair/maintenance history and can even add your own self-performed maintenance entries.

Might be useful for me when a warranty claim hits a snag, as I perform all my maintenance in person; fluids, brake pads, belts... etc. I have little faith in quick-serv/express-lane personnel.

Pcustoms

Reaction score
Merry Christmas to me...

2021 5.7, with 28.5 k on the clock.

Driving back from visiting family, doing about 70 on the highway and the check engine light comes on. About 15 miles later I stop at a rest area and pull a p219a code.

Nothing obvious under the hood, oil is fine, try to clear the code and it won't. Truck might be idling a little rough but other than cylinder deactivation is deactivated driving okay on the highway. No other real choice on Christmas day than to continue another hundred miles home.

Only issue before today is a small exhaust leak under the passenger side of the cab in one of the joints, and then last week I went to turn the front park assist back on and it just flash's service soon.

Seems the urgency level to bring this into the shop as increased..
Well I'll follow-up on this.

Called Tuesday morning, dealer scheduled me in 7:30am Wednesday. Tuesday at lunch the check engine light went out, but still showed a code.

Dealer confirmed the p219a was still stored, and there was a TSB to re-flash the PCM. Seems to have resolved the issue, but watching it obviously.

Dealer also fixed the exhaust leak (broken studs at the flange upstream of muffler) and tried to fix my park assist. One wire was chaffing and another sensor was dead, sensor on order and they'll have me back in when convenient. I told them no rush.

All work was done by 11am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online