5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 - Cracked Exhaust Manifold - Replacement Options?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a question for the shorty header users. On mine, I see a lot of plastic in nearby wiring and other parts, and I'm guessing the original heat shields don't fit, so how does this work out? Am I over-expecting the amount of heat? Does everything nearby get melted, have to avoid idling, add insulation blankets in selected places, or not a problem at all?

EStein

Reaction score
I have a question for the shorty header users. On mine, I see a lot of plastic in nearby wiring and other parts, and I'm guessing the original heat shields don't fit, so how does this work out? Am I over-expecting the amount of heat? Does everything nearby get melted, have to avoid idling, add insulation blankets in selected places, or not a problem at all?
I’m curious about this as well? Anyone?

JOzzz

Reaction score
They supply heat shielding. Plenty of idling with no issues thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stebo

Reaction score
Here is an update on my shorty header install. I replaced the cracked stock manifolds with JBA 1961S 3JS shorty headers and I noticed a leak after about 3-4 months. I retorqued and that didn't improve the leak. I removed the passenger side header yesterday and noticed that it's cracked. I called JBA and they are unwilling to help, as it's more than a year after purchase, although I noticed the leak within a year, but didn't confirm the crack until now. Customer service rep was very rude and dismissive of my problem. Not sure what to do now. See attached photos.

Attachments

• IMG_8031.jpg
    IMG_8031.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8032.jpg
    IMG_8032.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8033.jpg
    IMG_8033.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8034.jpg
    IMG_8034.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 28

JOzzz

Reaction score
Here is an update on my shorty header install. I replaced the cracked stock manifolds with JBA 1961S 3JS shorty headers and I noticed a leak after about 3-4 months. I retorqued and that didn't improve the leak. I removed the passenger side header yesterday and noticed that it's cracked. I called JBA and they are unwilling to help, as it's more than a year after purchase, although I noticed the leak within a year, but didn't confirm the crack until now. Customer service rep was very rude and dismissive of my problem. Not sure what to do now. See attached photos.

That sucks, but not uncommon. I replaced my manifolds with AFE shorties. Unfortunately, stainless headers are robust but only as strong as their weakest point, the welds. If/when mine crack, I’ll probably just re-weld and reinstall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread