5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 brake light issue

crb1077

Reaction score
Long story short.... passenger brake light & third brake light not working. Blinker, hazard, running lights all work fine. (LED)

Now the long story. I have a camper shell installed. No issues until some dip backed into my passenger side and I needed repairs. After the repairs were done no brake lights on the passenger side or 3rd brake light. After many fights the repair facility finally took the vehicle back and discovered a wire was pinched under the bed when they reassembled it. They ordered new harnesses and everything worked great until it didn’t. I again have no passenger brake light or 3rd brake light on the shell or truck. I know the housing is good and operational because it works when I plug it into the driver side. Any ideas what it could be or where to even start looking?

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
From the FSM:
"The brake (or stop) lamps and the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) each have a path to ground at all times through a takeout and eyelet terminal of the body wire harness that is secured by a nut to a ground stud on the body sheet metal within the passenger compartment. The CHMSL receives battery voltage directly on the brake lamp sensor output circuit when the brake lamp switch is closed by the brake pedal arm. The BCM also receives battery voltage on the brake lamp sensor output circuit, which it uses as a signal to energize the brake lamps. The BCM provides battery voltage to the brake lamps through a high side driver on the tail/stop lamp rear feed circuit when it receives the proper input from the closed brake lamp sensor."

The CHMSL gets power directly from the brake pedal switch, and the brake lamps are energized by the BCM.
BCM is the Body Control Module. Indicated by the circled number 1 in the image. Image from FSM also.
BCM.jpg
If I had a wiring diagram I'd post it, but I do not. Wiring diagrams are not included in the FSM.

Steve

crb1077

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a copy of the wiring diagram?

crb1077

Reaction score
So I gave up on the passenger brake light after finding nothing visually wrong with the wiring that I can see. I decided to try and figure out what's wrong with the 3rd brake light and traced the wire feeding it to a splice in the driver's side door jam. I used a test light and got nothing. Anyone know how or even if the BCM can be tested? IMG_2527.jpg IMG_2530.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread