5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Bighorn Tailgate Dead - Help!

CDNBighorn

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
So today, my tailgate decided to quit opening for me. After getting past my cover, I was able to get into the tailgate assembly and test a few things to see if a switch was broken or not. And just for the record, this isn't the same as pushing the tailgate in to take pressure off of the solenoids/latches fix. This is a situation where the solenoids are not even being actuated, so no click.
Im curious if anyone can offer any advice or suggestions.
Here is a bit more info on what I've done:

1. Tested the release button/switch: when not depressed, I get no reading on my meter. When the switch is pressed, I get a reading of 4.7K ohms. So it seems to be doing something, not sure if these are the right readings for a properly performing switch.
2. Tested the wiring for continuity within the tailgate, up until the connector used to remove the tailgate. Everything checks out.
3. Checked fuses that might be a part of the circuit. Without a schematic its hard to know for sure.

Yes the doors are unlocked to the vehicle but the gate will not open.
I didn't test the solenoids yet, im curious if its possible for one to short and then pull down the voltage when the controller tries to actuate them?

Im concerned it might be the BCM as the truck was kind of sluggish unlocking/locking doors the other day. Was standing right next to it and had to press the button on the FOB a few times before it unlocked and its a newer battery in the FOB. Now this right behind it. Although the locks are working like I would expect now.
Also curious if anyone has any wiring diagrams or schematics for this truck that might help point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys, anything you can add with your own experiences etc would be appreciated as I try and get this sorted.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
So today, my tailgate decided to quit opening for me. After getting past my cover, I was able to get into the tailgate assembly and test a few things to see if a switch was broken or not. And just for the record, this isn't the same as pushing the tailgate in to take pressure off of the solenoids/latches fix. This is a situation where the solenoids are not even being actuated, so no click.
Im curious if anyone can offer any advice or suggestions.
Here is a bit more info on what I've done:

1. Tested the release button/switch: when not depressed, I get no reading on my meter. When the switch is pressed, I get a reading of 4.7K ohms. So it seems to be doing something, not sure if these are the right readings for a properly performing switch.
2. Tested the wiring for continuity within the tailgate, up until the connector used to remove the tailgate. Everything checks out.
3. Checked fuses that might be a part of the circuit. Without a schematic its hard to know for sure.

Yes the doors are unlocked to the vehicle but the gate will not open.
I didn't test the solenoids yet, im curious if its possible for one to short and then pull down the voltage when the controller tries to actuate them?

Im concerned it might be the BCM as the truck was kind of sluggish unlocking/locking doors the other day. Was standing right next to it and had to press the button on the FOB a few times before it unlocked and its a newer battery in the FOB. Now this right behind it. Although the locks are working like I would expect now.
Also curious if anyone has any wiring diagrams or schematics for this truck that might help point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys, anything you can add with your own experiences etc would be appreciated as I try and get this sorted.
Alldatadiy. for schematics.
4.7 k seems high ie open. unless it is communicating on the buss where your meter is not giving you a true value.

Last edited:

CDNBighorn

Reaction score
Is it possible to be able to monitor the buss for Input and Output signals through OSB2?

Today I used a 1.5K resistor and put it into the button circuit in place of the actual button, but nothing happened. So it's not a resistance issue with the handle. I suspect the handle is working fine.
I also tested the solenoids by applying 12V, and they click as I would expect, so they are fine.
Essentially everything in the tailgate is fine so it's either main harness or BCM.

Process of elimination I suspect, but it would be great to know if I can monitor I/O through a OSB2 scanner. Anyone know if this is possible?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is it possible to be able to monitor the buss for Input and Output signals through OSB2?

Today I used a 1.5K resistor and put it into the button circuit in place of the actual button, but nothing happened. So it's not a resistance issue with the handle. I suspect the handle is working fine.
I also tested the solenoids by applying 12V, and they click as I would expect, so they are fine.
Essentially everything in the tailgate is fine so it's either main harness or BCM.

Process of elimination I suspect, but it would be great to know if I can monitor I/O through a OSB2 scanner. Anyone know if this is possible?
That switch shoud pull green/white to ground at G803A. Should not read more than couple ohms at the most when activated.

CDNBighorn

Reaction score
Got this fixed yesterday,
Turned out it was the Green/white stripe wire at the tailgate connector for tailgate removal. The wire had eroded internally, but the sheathing looked fine. So the handle sensor signal was not getting to the BCM. I pulled on the wire and the sheathing snapped, helping me realize the issue.
The handle sensor measured 4.7K ohms like I mentioned, this was using a higher quality Fluke meter.
When simply grounding the handle sensor wire, it did not unlock. It only functions with a resistance of 4.7K or lower.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue.

Users who are viewing this thread