5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 bighorn headlights

gimp123678

Reaction score
Is it just me or are these headlights terrible? What would be the the cheapest/easiest route to upgrade them? Love the truck but the headlights in my 2012 Silverado were much better.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You must be talking about the halogen setup... the factory LEDs are beyond awesome, best lighting I’ve ever had in a vehicle. Two choices, go the OEM route and put in factory LEDs ($1600ish) or go the aftermarket LED route via Headlight Revolution, GTR, etc for much cheaper... I know those are really good products. I’m hearing really good reviews from the Supernova LEDs. My previous 2017 Ram Sport I went with Headlight Revolution HIDs and they were awesome.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just installed the OEM LED’s on Sunday and wow what a difference. Granted I got mine from a member here for under 1k. Otherwise you can order the full LED upgrade kit from LASFIT. That is what I was going to do until I found the OEM ones.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Is it just me or are these headlights terrible? What would be the the cheapest/easiest route to upgrade them? Love the truck but the headlights in my 2012 Silverado were much better.
I upgraded my halogens with GTR, expensive (for LED bulbs), bright and designed to work with the reflector housings. They do not blind oncoming traffic, if you havn't leveled your truck. If you have leveled easy housing adjustment. Could not be happier with the upgrade.

gimp123678

Reaction score
Sounds just replacing the bulbs will save me $100's, is there a noticable difference between that and the OEM led+housing upgrade?

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds just replacing the bulbs will save me $100's, is there a noticable difference between that and the OEM led+housing upgrade?
There will always be a difference between slapping a generic LED bulb(even its its made for reflectors since every reflector is different) and a OEM system that was developed together. That being said if you are worried about cost then LED bulbs in the halogen lights is your cheapest option.

gimp123678

Reaction score
I would need to replace both hi and low bulbs right, are they plug and play?

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Yeah, as long as you get the correct ones. :)

But, if you are contemplating using the OEM LEDs ... do it right the first time, it'll save you money in the long run. :)

Wsmith

Reaction score
The LED housing is much sleeker and nicer looking, expensive and a fair amount of work to install. Bulbs are much cheaper and easier. With that being said the upgraded reflector housing is designed in conjunction with it's own LED bulbs. Putting in aftermarket LED is technically illegal in a halogen housing, but if you put in high quality bulbs that are designed properly they will have just as sharp of cutoff as the original halogens, mine did. I have not been flashed one time in two months of operating them, and the light output is phenomenal. The GTR's are great with a lifetime warranty, this is what I paid for, (they are pricey). There are other good ones on the market as well, just avoid Amazon for this purchase.

gimp123678

Reaction score
The LED housing is much sleeker and nicer looking, expensive and a fair amount of work to install. Bulbs are much cheaper and easier. With that being said the upgraded reflector housing is designed in conjunction with it's own LED bulbs. Putting in aftermarket LED is technically illegal in a halogen housing, but if you put in high quality bulbs that are designed properly they will have just as sharp of cutoff as the original halogens, mine did. I have not been flashed one time in two months of operating them, and the light output is phenomenal. The GTR's are great with a lifetime warranty, this is what I paid for, (they are pricey). There are other good ones on the market as well, just avoid Amazon for this purchase.
Do you have a link?

Wsmith

Reaction score
I am too technically stupid to put a link on here. I got mine through Headlight Revolution. There website is good and if you have any questions the phone customer service is top notch.

broman66

Reaction score
So you just bought the headlight (High and Low beam) and direct plugged them in? Did you need the PWM module for anti-flicker? Do they flicker without?
I heard it sucks to get to the back of the housings to replace bulbs. How bad is it? Any tips?

Wsmith

Reaction score
I put the PWM in for the low beams only, did not try it without. The high beams plugged in direct, no flicker on either. They made it look a little easier on the HR videos than it is, small skinny hands will help, but not in the cards for me. I opened up the wheel wells as well as removed the airbox on passenger side and grounding wires on drivers side. It is real tight from the top. I needed two hands to unplug the connector. One hand through the wheel well, the other through the hood doing it by feel. Patience and beer is the best way. Shoving the driver and PWM module in the housing took some patience as well but it all fit. It took me 2+ hours only because I got frustrated and had some more beers. The high beams are easy, except I had to clock the bulbs to get them vertical. Not necessary for the low beams.

broman66

Reaction score
I put the PWM in for the low beams only, did not try it without. The high beams plugged in direct, no flicker on either. They made it look a little easier on the HR videos than it is, small skinny hands will help, but not in the cards for me. I opened up the wheel wells as well as removed the airbox on passenger side and grounding wires on drivers side. It is real tight from the top. I needed two hands to unplug the connector. One hand through the wheel well, the other through the hood doing it by feel. Patience and beer is the best way. Shoving the driver and PWM module in the housing took some patience as well but it all fit. It took me 2+ hours only because I got frustrated and had some more beers. The high beams are easy, except I had to clock the bulbs to get them vertical. Not necessary for the low beams.
Thank you! I have watched some videos too, but it kind of turned me off from doing it. Mainly because I have read that LEDs don't last very long and I can see me having to change one out in the middle of a New England winter. I would agree that they provide a much better light source as I have stock LEDs on another vehicle and my wife won't drive at night unless she is driving the Maxima. I appreciate your feedback. I might go for it any ways, just want the more modern look on the truck too.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Thank you! I have watched some videos too, but it kind of turned me off from doing it. Mainly because I have read that LEDs don't last very long and I can see me having to change one out in the middle of a New England winter. I would agree that they provide a much better light source as I have stock LEDs on another vehicle and my wife won't drive at night unless she is driving the Maxima. I appreciate your feedback. I might go for it any ways, just want the more modern look on the truck too.
The GTR's have a lifetime guarantee. In the housings there should be nothing that would make them fail prematurely. I had a PWM that shipped with one screw missing out of the housing, I called HR, they sent another one immediately no questions asked and I kept the original. Changing out a bulb will be easier than installing everything, Just pop the bulb out, unplug from the PWM, plenty of wire to do it from the hood area. The only reason I struggled was the factory connector is short and you could not get to it easily. The high beams are a breeze except you need to clock them, to vertical. The Supernova that HR sells as well, has as good of light output, but only a five year warranty. That is why I paid a little more for the lifetime warranty.

ClancyO

Reaction score
FWIW, I put cheap amazon leds (mostplus) everywhere on my 19 bighorn (highs, lows, fogs). Also replaced the hids in my wife’s golf (which required pulling half the bumper!) Granted I only ran them 18 months, but absolutely no issues. The halogen housing provide a nice cut line. Never got flashed. Output was outstanding. New truck has factory leds and if there a difference in output I don’t see it. Best part is they’re like $30. If you hate them and they fail, they were $30.

Edit: come to think of it - one of the fogs did ‘fail’. The ring that holds it secure twisted and rotated freely. It was basically held in by friction fit. But it stayed in place and I left it alone and never had an issue..

Users who are viewing this thread