5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Big horn tailgate ajar light not working

kevin56

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Big horn CC (level 2 with the 7" dash display) and the bed group with the LED bed lights. The window sticker and build sheet both say it has the tailgate ajar warning but it doesnt work. I found a post on another forum with a '19 Laramie that had the same problem but the poster never said it it was fixed.

edit: Found a post about it in the exterior section that answered my question.

Last edited:

kevin56

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, see you found the other thread in exterior as well. Checked at a local dealer a couple weeks ago and several new trucks (laramies) were not working as well, would sure be nice if FCA put out a service message or TSB on it so dealers know how to fix it..

UWmad

Reaction score
My truck is in the shop now in regards to this sensor not working. Dealer originally showed me the bulletin that told them to do nothing. I took it to corporate and started a case. Laramie is supposed to have it and they agreed. Dealership was told to fix. They ordered a new BCM and that did not fix it. I knew it wasn't going to.
Now they opened up a star case to get it figured out. This should be fun.
Not a big deal...it's just the point. If I paid for it...it better be there or refund me the package price I paid to have!

RSZ

Reaction score
Just picked mine up from the service department. Even though it's listed on my build sheet, dealer says engineering is saying it's not equipped. Not blaming my dealer, they even swapped out the latch mechanism on the tailgate to see if that would help. Basically, Ram is saying go pound sand even though it's listed on the build sheet.

UWmad

Reaction score
That's the exact response I got. The service guy has one and his works...so that's my ammo. In the end...they said to go pound sand.
Update...I kept bitching. They offered me oil changes...I told them to go pound sand. There final offer was a months car payment. I told them...what if I paid it off or had a small payment? It was like a car salesman trying to figure out what u owe on the trade-in and offer u that! So, looks like I am getting $600 out of them for this. In the end...I really didn't care about the sensor. I was just trying to prove a point to them...it's supposed to be there!

Reactions: RSZ

RSZ

Reaction score
Received the bypass cable and BAFX ODB dongle. Turned on the option in AlphaOBD. It is done. It works.

Captkent

Reaction score
Received the bypass cable and BAFX ODB dongle. Turned on the option in AlphaOBD. It is done. It works.
What bypass cable did you get and from where?. Where does it plug in. My dealer says my tailgate ajar light was disabled at the factory and they won't help. I understand using the one dongle and the software. I'm assuming I can use software on my android phone

RSZ

Reaction score
What bypass cable did you get and from where?. Where does it plug in. My dealer says my tailgate ajar light was disabled at the factory and they won't help. I understand using the one dongle and the software. I'm assuming I can use software on my android phone

Under the dash to the right of the steering wheel you have to look up and under. You will see two plugs with a bunch of wires going into them. Unplug those and plug them into the bypass cable. The ODBII dongle goes into the other end of the bypass cable, NOT into the ODBII port on the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread