5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Big Horn 5.7 exhaust issues - driving me insane

lmooney

Reaction score
Bought my 2019 1500 5.7 Big Horn in March. 24500 Miles. March and April were still fairly chilly so didnt ever drive with the windows down.
Now that its nicer out ive noticed my exhaust makes what sounds like a hiss or whooshing sound when accelerating or accelerating under load, about 1400RPM especially. I never hear the sound unless im driving next to parked cars or curbs / barriers. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak, yet I cant find any leak at all. It seems to be coming from under the truck and is equally pronounced on the driver and passenger side. It almost sounds like a Diesel engine. Not rattles in the CAT. No Manifold tick. Can hear lifters on cold starts but put in 93 octane. I did notice the Y pipe connection to the exhaust extension isn't totally flush, but not a huge gap. I did put in some gasket seal on the exhaust muffler joint on that little pain in the *** tab gasket as it was leaking a little. Soap test showed that it is now fixed.

Just took a road trip and got 20MPG, so I dont see much drop in performance and was actually really happy with that MPG

I can not recreate the sound in park and revving. Ive read on some forums that it is just the sound the truck makes, especially as noise resonation would probably be coming off the Y Pipe. Ive never had a truck let alone a Hemi. Maybe im just not used to the sounds of an exhaust like this. Its honestly driving me insane not knowing what's goin on or if its normal.

Any help is greatly appreciated

ALSO seems to be more pronounced as maybe even a "gurgle" when im going slowly, accelerating, and right next a barrier

Lorne Greene

Reaction score
I just went through chasing a strange exhaust sound with no rhyme or reason and discovered it was the active noise cancelation. Move your drivers seat all of the way forward and up, from there you will see an amp mounted under the seat. Unplug the three wire harnesses going into it and then go for a ride and see if you still have the strange sound. Once I did that my 'exhaust' noise went away. Now I am trying to figure out if I want to disable the system or fix it.

It's a really easy test. It took me about a minute in the parking lot of Publix to move the seat and unplug the three harnesses.

lmooney

Reaction score
I just went through chasing a strange exhaust sound with no rhyme or reason and discovered it was the active noise cancelation. Move your drivers seat all of the way forward and up, from there you will see an amp mounted under the seat. Unplug the three wire harnesses going into it and then go for a ride and see if you still have the strange sound. Once I did that my 'exhaust' noise went away. Now I am trying to figure out if I want to disable the system or fix it.

It's a really easy test. It took me about a minute in the parking lot of Publix to move the seat and unplug the three harnesses.
Will try later on. I had heard about issues with the ANC and a lot of people cancelling it, but didnt think it would effect the exhaust like that.

So if it works, is it at all an exhaust issue or just an ANC that needs to be fixed?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI, opening a window disables ANC.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
ALSO seems to be more pronounced as maybe even a "gurgle" when im going slowly, accelerating, and right next a barrier
This last sentence sounds like MDS. Try limiting the gear so that MDS doesn't kick in and see if you still hear it

lmooney

Reaction score
This last sentence sounds like MDS. Try limiting the gear so that MDS doesn't kick in and see if you still hear it
Will tow haul deactivate it as well? Sorry, im pretty new to the Ram game and little experience with the gear limit

lmooney

Reaction score
Also found it VERY weird that these knurled bolts are used on my exhaust at the highlighted point...I didnt think that was normal

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 3.45.52 PM.png

Nibis

Reaction score
Could be broken exhaust manifold studs, does it tick loud on startup but then kind of go away?

445Bone

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue on my 2020 Ram Sport. Were you able to identify the source of the noise?

Users who are viewing this thread