5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 5th Gen 5.7 V8 Hemi - dies when coming to a stop

hack-p

Reaction score
This is a repeat issue, first occurring about 6 months after purchasing new. In the summer of 2019, the truck did this stall-out/shut down about 5 or 6 times. We took it to the dealer 2 times and both times, they could not determine anything wrong. There were no codes and they could not duplicate it. Once the truck did it on the way to the dealership. I hind-sight, I should have just called the dealership and had them come get it. Although, as before, no codes were found.
The following year @ about 15k miles the engine started making rattling noises. Both banks of lifters were replaced. After the replacement, the truck no longer died.

Today, July 26, 2021 - 22k miles.. the truck died while coming to a stop. This is completely unsafe.

Bonus: after returning from a trip last week (lots of rain).. the headliner is now water-stained across the top of the back window.
Unlrelated, but worthy of note: The radio has been replaced twice. Active noise cancelling system issue addressed. Both side mirrors replaced as they would not fold/unfold. Lines on back up camera disappear.

We've owned 8 Rams since 2005 and have loved each and every one... except this one.

Anyone else having this/these issues?

smonska

Reaction score
Do you have the E-Torque? If A/C isn't on, that's designed operation to shut the engine down at stop for fuel economy.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
If this was an older Ram, say it sound like a finicky idle air control valve. The kind that works most of the time but sometimes sticks after the engine is thoroughly heated up. But with these new trucks, I cannot say for sure?

hack-p

Reaction score
Not an e-torque.

Yesterday, I had driven about a mile from the house when it died. Previously, it had died after about 20 - 30 minutes of driving and as short as getting out of a shopping center parking lot. Totally random.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Not an e-torque.

Yesterday, I had driven about a mile from the house when it died. Previously, it had died after about 20 - 30 minutes of driving and as short as getting out of a shopping center parking lot. Totally random.
When the motor dies does the power steering still work?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, but have they tested the battery?

hack-p

Reaction score
When the motor dies does the power steering still work?
No power steering or brakes. It's a land barge. Everything electrical (radio/AC/etc) stops. The PRNDL dial light display flashes like a message from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. I have to put it in park and restart.

Snekpete

Reaction score
No power steering or brakes. It's a land barge. Everything electrical (radio/AC/etc) stops. The PRNDL dial light display flashes like a message from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. I have to put it in park and restart.
Replace the battery. I recommend an Everstart H8 AGM from Walmart and yes it will fit.

BigBlueBeast

Reaction score
As people stated, i'd check the battery and associated wiring. I had something similar happen on one of my vehicles it ended up being the computer and dealer reflash fixed the problem

spyder

Reaction score
My 2015 would occasionally die when I came to a stop. Dealer was worthless, couldn't figure it out. Started doing it much more often and I went digging myself after several dealer trips, still under warranty.Throttle body was diirrrttyyy and sending funky numbers to the computer because it was not closed all the way when it should have been. Took it off, cleaned it with brake cleaner, put it back together, no problems ever again. There was a ridge of carbon around it probably 1/16" thick.

Dealer said they'd never heard of that problem before and wouldn't recommend removing and cleaning the TB for a stall issue...

Users who are viewing this thread