5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 2500 HD factory LED HMCSL swap onto a 2021 1500

Sdmorrison77

Reaction score
I have a 2021 1500 Sport. I saw a 2019 2500 HD today and I saw that it has a factory LED HMCSL. It is not flush mount like the 2021 Sport, but it is almost like a small "fin", it basically takes the roof and rear window and makes it a right angle. I think this particular CHMSL might also accommodate cameras, I'm not sure. However, what I am wondering is if that unit will fit on my 2021, and if so would I need some sort of CANBUS since it is LED. If anyone knows if this is possible, please let me know because it is exactly what I want, LED white cargo lights and a small brake light strip. If it is a camera unit, can it be purchased and used without the cameras? Also, if this is possible could someone please pass along the part number please and thank you.

Kind regards

Stephen

Arth

Reaction score
I have a 2021 1500 Sport. I saw a 2019 2500 HD today and I saw that it has a factory LED HMCSL. It is not flush mount like the 2021 Sport, but it is almost like a small "fin", it basically takes the roof and rear window and makes it a right angle. I think this particular CHMSL might also accommodate cameras, I'm not sure. However, what I am wondering is if that unit will fit on my 2021, and if so would I need some sort of CANBUS since it is LED. If anyone knows if this is possible, please let me know because it is exactly what I want, LED white cargo lights and a small brake light strip. If it is a camera unit, can it be purchased and used without the cameras? Also, if this is possible could someone please pass along the part number please and thank you.

Kind regards

Stephen

The 2500 3rd brake light you saw will not fit. However they make one for the 1500's now. It is part of the new Tech Package on the 2021's that includes the heads up display and digital rear view mirror. The 3rd brake has a camera in it that will allow you to use the digital rear view mirror.

Here is the part number so that 3rd brake. 68444540AB

Also here is the thread that talks about adding one. Since you have a 2021 all you would need is the 3rd brake, mirror, and the cable for the video connection. It's not very cost effective and if you don't care for the mirror adding the 3rd brake light is easy.

Sdmorrison77

Reaction score
The 2500 3rd brake light you saw will not fit. However they make one for the 1500's now. It is part of the new Tech Package on the 2021's that includes the heads up display and digital rear view mirror. The 3rd brake has a camera in it that will allow you to use the digital rear view mirror.

Here is the part number so that 3rd brake. 68444540AB

Also here is the thread that talks about adding one. Since you have a 2021 all you would need is the 3rd brake, mirror, and the cable for the video connection. It's not very cost effective and if you don't care for the mirror adding the 3rd brake light is easy.
looks to me that it is a $400 USD option. Do you happen to know off hand if you can buy just the light without the camera?

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is plug and play. Looks good but it’s little pricy. But a mod I had to have . Now I’m playing around to see if I can get the camera to work with the 21 mirror

Users who are viewing this thread