5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019-2020 Steering wheel removal instructions (With Pictures)

Livinfast85

Reaction score
So I didn't find any good tutorials when I googled it, so I figured I would do a little write up to help out others. First off let me show you what the dealership did Today(How not to do it!!!) when they replaced my steering wheel. Then you will see how to remove it and place it correctly.

First off I picked up the truck from the dealer and drove no further than 75 yards out of the pick up line to see my steering wheel "STRAIGHTEN OUT" to this....
20200518_150305.jpg

So after this awesome sight I decided that I had no choice but to take it home and fix it myself because I HAD TO HAVE my truck this week to pull my travel trailer!
With that being said I took it home and fixed it myself. The following is how I did it.

Step 1:
DISCONNECT THE POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE! THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS YOU HAVE A POSSIBILITY OF SETTING OFF THE AIRBAG.
Step 2:

You are going to see a small hole on each side of the back sides of the steering wheel. You are going to need something small enough to fit in these holes loosely and be approx 4" long or longer. ( I used a hex wrench)
1.jpg
When you insert the object in there you are feeling around for a rod pictured below. It will take some patience. I recommend gently pulling the end of your tool that you are holding towards the rear of the truck then slowly move inward. The picture below is the back side of the air bag. This is showing you the springs you are trying to push inward to to release the air bag.
Untitled.jpg

Step 3:
Once the airbag comes loose you will see the picture below. In the picture, these are the 4 wires you will need to take off to remove the airbag completely.
2.jpg
Step 4:
In the picture below you will see the 2 prongs which the airbag connects to and the center nut which you need to remove to take the wheel off.
4.jpg
The center nut requires a 15/16 socket.
20200518_161835.jpg
After you have removed the nut you will GENTLY rock the steering wheel towards you. You will start to feel the wheel began to work loose. DO NOT pull hard when you are doing this! I have seen several people damage the airbag wire harness when the wheel shot off because they were pulling WAY TOO HARD!

Step 5:
Once you go to reinstall the steering wheel, make sure you align the marks pictured below or your steering wheel will be offset like the wonderful Ram techs did for me!
5.jpg

Once this is done you can torque the nut and reinstall the airbag by following the above steps in reverse.

Hope this little write up can help some people!

Last edited:

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I plan on doing this soon to swap the radio controls on the backside of the wheel. Drives me nuts that the volume rocker is on the side of the wheel right by the volume knob. Actual pictures are always more helpful than the service manual. Interesting to see I shouldn’t need to go searching for my puller and that it can be removed with a little patience.

Scjon03

Reaction score
Yup I did this to my Laramie 19' when I had it. Swapped the steering to a Limited. However I did the big oops, I force the wheel off to hard and the wires got caught and damage my clock spring. Everything still worked but you now can hear a clicking sound. Wasn't there before and not noticeable but still.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
nice writeup. I thought I'd share just my airbag video. this is from my old 2003 ram (passenger side airbag unit). I replaced the bag because it had a code. it turned out to be the srs module. decided to wire the bag to 12-volt and watch it inflate..boy was I in for a surprise.

I am extremely cautious handling air bags from now on.

epuoR

Reaction score
This will be perfect for when I attempt to install paddle shifters in my 19

nogarage30

Reaction score
Just replaced my worn and sticky ‘19 wheel with a fresh one from a ‘22, by following this guide. Thanks for sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread