5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019/2020 Ram 1500 V6 Gas vs. V6 Ecodiesel

llackey23

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone - I am new here and I am needing some help with input from you guys/gals. I currently have a 2007 Ram 1500 Lonestar Edition V8 Hemi and I am going to be buying a new 2019/2020 Ram 1500 Limited. When I go to the RAM Page to configure a RAM 1500 I get 3 engine choices - the V8, the V6 and the V6 Ecodiesel. I have had a V8 Ram 1500 for 15 years now(2 trucks) and I do not need a V8. I live in Houston(flat) and I do not tow anything. I simply want a V6 Gas Dodge Ram so I can ride around and have good gas economy. I have been to a few dealerships over the past few weeks and there are literally ZERO V6 Gas Dodge Rams - all these sales guys are trying to get me in a V8 Hemi and I just do not want/need that power. I had a guy today tell me there are only six(6) V6 Ram Limited's in the Southern US and they are mostly all in Florida. Can y'all provide me some input on why this would be? The sales guy today wants me to come drive the V6 Ecodiesel but I have no experience with a diesel engine and I am not sure this is what I want - Please help! Any and all information would be beneficial. I just do not understand why Dodge would make a truck option and no one has inventory. Thank You!!!

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sadly as this is my opinion most folks who want a Limited want those 8cyls. These are heavy trucks and it shows even for day to day endeavors. Now with that being the case there are folks on here who want / need the 6 but want all the bells and whistles the Limited affords them. Again this is where the weight part comes in. You have to do what works for you but in this instance that may mean special ordering this truck.

19LaramieRam

Reaction score
I’m no expert in marketing/sales but my guess would be most people opting for the limited trim level would want a higher engine option to go along with it. The demand might not be there for the gas V6.
The way I am thinking is that most people willing to pay for a limited truck will not be as concerned about fuel economy/paying for gas compared to someone looking for a tradesman/bighorn.
As far as the diesel V6, if I remember right, the early specs were like 12,000 pounds towing capacity which would be class leading in a 1500 truck along with some strong MPG ratings, 24 MPG? Also 260 hp and 480 lb ft torque. It definitely has some power and capability.
My bet would be you would find the Diesel easier in the Limited but it is a $5k option compared to the Hemi being a $2k adder.

19LaramieRam

Reaction score
Sadly as this is my opinion most folks who want a Limited want those 8cyls. These are heavy trucks and it shows even for day to day endeavors. Now with that being the case there are folks on here who want / need the 6 but want all the bells and whistles the Limited affords them. Again this is where the weight part comes in. You have to do what works for you but in this instance that may mean special ordering this truck.
PorBoy beat me to it!!! Similar message tho!

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if the diesels weren't so EPA emissions restricted, it would fit your needs perfectly. i gave my ecodiesel up for my V8 and i trully miss the fuel economy of~23 MPG. i do not miss the unreliability factor of the early ecodiesel. no track record for the 3rd gen diesel engine, until it is proven after a few years, i will stay away.

the top trim limited model is a heavy truck if most of the options are choosen. i am in a laramie (see sig below) and currently average high 17 to low 18 mpg city and almost 22 on the interstate.

as earlier posted, the V6 in the Limited trim would be a special order for you and you might save a few dollars in fuel but is it really worth it?

good luck, sir, if it were me, continue with the V8.

Pino F

Reaction score
I have a limited ecodiesel, i just drove mi first 1000 miles, i've been averaging 25 miles per gallon. Before I had a 2006 V8 Titan, lets say I don't miss it. I think the v6 diesel has plenty of power and I love it!!!!

Pino

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if the diesels weren't so EPA emissions restricted, it would fit your needs perfectly. i gave my ecodiesel up for my V8 and i trully miss the fuel economy of~23 MPG. i do not miss the unreliability factor of the early ecodiesel. no track record for the 3rd gen diesel engine, until it is proven after a few years, i will stay away.

the top trim limited model is a heavy truck if most of the options are choosen. i am in a laramie (see sig below) and currently average high 17 to low 18 mpg city and almost 22 on the interstate.

as earlier posted, the V6 in the Limited trim would be a special order for you and you might save a few dollars in fuel but is it really worth it?

good luck, sir, if it were me, continue with the V8.
You say you average 17-18 city and 22 highway yet your Fuelly says lifetime 16.6......

Stickerhead

Reaction score
Y’all must do “coasting”. My Hemi consistent 13.7-14.5 in town. I’m not a lead foot but don’t baby it either. Best I say on the hwy was 16.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You say you average 17-18 city and 22 highway yet your Fuelly says lifetime 16.6......
Yep, I just stared running 89 non ethonol, going to take a few more fill ups to counter the lower life time mileage on fuelly.

look at my averages per fill up , my last fill up was 17.4 MPG.
heck since October when I started running non ethonol my fuelly lifetime was 16.1 MPG. whatever, right?

Last edited:

slik22

Reaction score
I was at multiple dealers twice last year (spring and fall) and every dealer did exactly the same as what you are stating. At best some had ONE truck with the V6 engine and hundreds with V8's. Every salesman tried to persuade me into the V8 and didn't want to talk about the V6 or even order me one.

something tells me there's more money to be made selling people V8's.

I currently drive a Ram with the Hemi engine and it is awful on fuel; I don't care for another one. Needless to say, I drove away in my old truck.

llackey23

Reaction score
I was at multiple dealers twice last year (spring and fall) and every dealer did exactly the same as what you are stating. At best some had ONE truck with the V6 engine and hundreds with V8's. Every salesman tried to persuade me into the V8 and didn't want to talk about the V6 or even order me one.

something tells me there's more money to be made selling people V8's.

I currently drive a Ram with the Hemi engine and it is awful on fuel; I don't care for another one. Needless to say, I drove away in my old truck.

It's slightly frustrating to say the least. I even have a neighbor who is an area manager for some dealerships here in Houston and they could not even get me a straight answer. when I asked them all they did was start calling their sales managers and asking if there were any V6's regular gas. 100% of the Sales Managers just laughed and said - no but we can get him in a V8....Heck we'll put him in a V8 for the same price as a V6 - this does not solve my problem lmao!!!

slik22

Reaction score
And the V6 with etorque is in the Wards 10 best engines for 2019 & 2020. No ecodiesels or hemi's on the list.

I'd like to buy this year and its v6 gas or nothing. If they only want to sell V8's, i'll just keep my old truck.

rlc2020

Reaction score
They don't stock V6 trucks for the same reason they don't offer a manual transmission anymore. Yes, Some people will want those options, but they stock what they can sell the easiest. I was a die hard manual guy, but the last truck I was able to buy with one was my 2007 F150 and then you could only get the v6 and regular cab configuration.

IMO, just get the V8, money is obviously not an issue for you since you are looking at a limited and if you were to order a v6 truck you will most definitely not get as good of a deal as you would buying a v8 off the lot. The gas mileage difference in that truck is almost nothing. I average about 17mpg overall and that with 80% being around town. Get a 3.21 Hemi and don't give it another thought. The diesel will take 100,000 miles just to break even on the fuel savings so that makes almost no sense.

The difference between averaging 17mpg (hemi) and 20mpg (V6) over 15k miles a year is about $300. and 20mph average for a limited V6 is being very very generous.

I also guarantee that you will loose any money you saved up front if you decide to trade in or sell that vehicle down the road.

llackey23

Reaction score
They don't stock V6 trucks for the same reason they don't offer a manual transmission anymore. Yes, Some people will want those options, but they stock what they can sell the easiest. I was a die hard manual guy, but the last truck I was able to buy with one was my 2007 F150 and then you could only get the v6 and regular cab configuration.

IMO, just get the V8, money is obviously not an issue for you since you are looking at a limited and if you were to order a v6 truck you will most definitely not get as good of a deal as you would buying a v8 off the lot. The gas mileage difference in that truck is almost nothing. I average about 17mpg overall and that with 80% being around town. Get a 3.21 Hemi and don't give it another thought. The diesel will take 100,000 miles just to break even on the fuel savings so that makes almost no sense.

The difference between averaging 17mpg (hemi) and 20mpg (V6) over 15k miles a year is about $300. and 20mph average for a limited V6 is being very very generous.

I also guarantee that you will loose any money you saved up front if you decide to trade in or sell that vehicle down the road.
This is very true - Great Point rlc2020!!! I appreciate the insight!

silver billet

Reaction score
And the V6 with etorque is in the Wards 10 best engines for 2019 & 2020. No ecodiesels or hemi's on the list.

I'd like to buy this year and its v6 gas or nothing. If they only want to sell V8's, i'll just keep my old truck.

The V6 is a truly great motor, it deserves that spot on Wards and has been on it before (3 consecutive years etc). However, we're talking "application" here, it doesn't belong in the heavy Ram. Minivan, charger, great. In the heavy Ram, it's underpowered, with some forum members here talking about it having trouble just maintaining speed on the freeway.

I would never consider the V6 in a loaded (ie "very heavy") Ram. Get the diesel or the Hemi, it's obvious OP can afford it.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The V6 is a truly great motor, it deserves that spot on Wards and has been on it before (3 consecutive years etc). However, we're talking "application" here, it doesn't belong in the heavy Ram. Minivan, charger, great. In the heavy Ram, it's underpowered, with some forum members here talking about it having trouble just maintaining speed on the freeway.

I would never consider the V6 in a loaded (ie "very heavy") Ram. Get the diesel or the Hemi, it's obvious OP can afford it.
For Sure!!! We intentionally bought our Grand Cherokee with the 6. Great great motor in that application. I did not get it in my Ram. Truck is too heavy for that engine not to work itself to death.

taz2016

Reaction score

Purchase well and take care of your vehicle and you won't need to worry about losing money when you get rid of it. I paid 69% of MSRP for my 2019 Bighorn V6 and will get a great return (relative to purchase price) when I sell it outright as I always do.

My Ram is a moderately loaded Bighorn V6 but it has absolutely no "trouble just maintaining speed on the freeway" even when towing a small trailer. If I planned on regularly towing a heavier trailer I would get the Hemi but for my uses the V6 is more than adequate. I do live in a relatively hilly area that would easily expose any inadequacies. I have 3.55 gears which undoubtedly helps with performance but probably hurts in mileage. I was hoping to average better than 19+ overall that I presently get. That is hand calculated and includes city plus up to 80 MPH highway.

llackey23

Reaction score
Purchase well and take care of your vehicle and you won't need to worry about losing money when you get rid of it. I paid 69% of MSRP for my 2019 Bighorn V6 and will get a great return (relative to purchase price) when I sell it outright as I always do.

My Ram is a moderately loaded Bighorn V6 but it has absolutely no "trouble just maintaining speed on the freeway" even when towing a small trailer. If I planned on regularly towing a heavier trailer I would get the Hemi but for my uses the V6 is more than adequate. I do live in a relatively hilly area that would easily expose any inadequacies. I have 3.55 gears which undoubtedly helps with performance but probably hurts in mileage. I was hoping to average better than 19+ overall that I presently get. That is hand calculated and includes city plus up to 80 MPH highway.
I would be curious to see what your truck weighs - If you have a chance can you share a picture of your GVWR and your max payload weight?

rlc2020

Reaction score

But almost no one is looking for a fully loaded limited with the V6. A Tradesman, sure, a big horn, maybe, but a laramie or a limited, no way will hold the same value as a V8 truck would. %MSRP is relative, you can also buy a V8 for that price or better with the number of them sitting on lots, but the return will absolutely be a higher. Just because you got a good deal up front does not mean that you aren't loosing money on the back end.

Getting a limited with the V6 in my opinion is the same as getting a limited with the 3.5" radio. Will it work, sure, but I don't want one.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with ric2020. Even though you will face a penalty mpg wise with the ET hemi, a Limited isn't a light truck and the extra power will be worth it. Resale for a V6 gas Limited will suck.
Don't know how you can find a Limited v6 gasser unless you order one or are willing to travel. If you want one bad enough, hop a flight to Florida.

If you want a lower trim, there;s two I found just now (on the 5th dealer search of inventory in Houston). Understand that you want what you want but do think about a few years down the road as well.
2 Results Found
1 of 1
  • Gas/Electric V-6 3.6 L/220
    close.svg
  • RAM
    close.svg
    close.svg
  • New
    close.svg
    close.svg
SPECIAL OFFER
2020 RAM 1500 Lone Star