5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019-20 air ride suspension

20Ram20

Reaction score
At what temperature is it noticed that issue with the air ride suspension is having trouble

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Appears to be a problem in below zero F.

This excerpt from a 2017 thread on the topic:
“‘I wonder if in extreme conditions, you set the ride height to your prefered setting and then disabled the air system by pulling the fuse, would it stop the system from trying to auto level all night in the cold, thus compromising the sealed system?

We've just hit a cold snap in Winnipeg (-34c) and I've had no trouble with my suspension, but a friend with a 2015 Longhorn messaged me yesterday that his failed overnite. He forgot to try the fuse trick before the temps dropped and has had trouble with his suspension every winter.’

End of copied post from the RamRebelforum, “air suspension frozen in extreme cold”, #9/232, dtd 12-27-2017

Last edited by a moderator:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To add to the above, same thread, pg 24/24:
‘I’ve had my 2018 Rebel for just over a year and last Oct when the temp started to drop overnight down to 2 degrees C (I’m in Vancouver) The next morning, front end was sitting low and up came the warning that air suspension system need immediate service. I was shocked and called the dealer, they told me to warm it up and turn the truck on and off and see if the message cleared itself, it did and once the truck was warmed up the suspension worked fine. They said with the drop in the temp, the sensors get tripped up by the drop in the air pressure in the system and not to worry. All winter long, every few days, I’d get the message, I’d warm it up and restart it and thought this was stupid. We recently had a week in the mid mid 20’s things seemed fine and then it dropped to +9 and I got the warning again, only this time it wouldn’t go away or raise the front end up. Limped it home and googled the issue and found out about the fuse and all the similar problems out there. Funny how when I was researching the truck and searched for known issues, this never came up. New fuse made things work again and I took it to the dealer over Easter weekend, put the blown fuse back in when I dropped it off and expressed my concern about so many people having this issue. After a bunch of tests they replaced the compressor and fuse and I asked them why the compressor was blowing the fuse they said something about water getting up in there and freezing. I’m in Vancouver, it was +9 when this happened and +14 this weekend, the worst we get is a few days a year where it drops below freezing, maybe -7 max. They didn’t seem to have a answer for me. I only have 15K Kms on my truck and will have to see if they sort out this issue before the warranty runs out. I thought I was buying a solid truck that could take anything I could throw at it. They gotta fix this if they are failing in my mild climate too. I can’t imagine this truck back where there is real winter.”

End of copied post, dtd 4-24-2019

So it could happen in milder temps as well it seems. Maybe read the thread for more info.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At what temperature is it noticed that issue with the air ride suspension is having trouble
We’ve heard of very few (if any) temperature-related issues on the 5th-gen trucks (2019+ with the supposedly redesigned compressor). Time will tell.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Had air suspension on my 2016 rebel. After all these episodes I decided to stay away from air ride.
Had major failure on my 2010 E class Benz. I should learn my lesson first time.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't had any trouble with mine whatsoever, and I have been down to -14 F and at very high altitude (11,000 Feet in the cold). Time will tell but so far I am very happy and impressed with the air ride suspension.

clazer

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the air systems in the jeep grand cherokees are related? I’ve found some threads on those, but I don’t know if any of it applies. Possibly some FCA component sharing.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the air systems in the jeep grand cherokees are related? I’ve found some threads on those, but I don’t know if any of it applies. Possibly some FCA component sharing.
I would guess the system in the new RAMs is different, hopefully better. I say that because the compressor sounds noticeably different from the Jeep, or any other vehicles I've had with air suspension (all others sounded the same, actually).

TruckeeTahoe

Reaction score
I am curious too, we have 2 Jeeps Grand Cherokee Diesels with air suspension and no problems, one is a 2014 with 80k miles we are selling. We ordered a Rebel a few weeks ago with air. We live Truckee where it's pretty cold and up to 700" a year in snow. But not Canada cold and garaged at night. Sounds like an extended warranty is maditory these days with all the tech. Our adaptive cruise went out and it would of been $2,500 w/o warranty.

Joan

Reaction score
I’m having this problem with my 2019 Ram 1500 air ride suspension. what is happening the 40 amp fuse for my air ride suspension blows frequently and the air bags on front will not fill. I have had it at a few garages and they can’t find out why because it does raise the back ones, telling me it’s not the compressor. It happens in Celsius 7 degree temperature And when it drops below 0. They checked the check valves, grounds and everything seems good. I don’t have any warranty under Dodge but I have Global Warranty coverage. I need help as I need my ride. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread