5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 1500 Uconnect 8.4 non-Nav - SiriusXM + dealer issues

giantsean

Reaction score
Hi all,
I bought a 2019 Big Horn in Sept from Carmax (I know... I know). It has actually been pretty good save for the other day when the satellite signal went out suddenly while driving, and has been displaying the dreaded "Acquiring Signal" message since. Tried the usual reset, resend signal, yadda yadda. SXM blamed hardware so I took it back to Carmax who gives me a 90 day warranty. As expected they said they hooked up their "scan tool" and received no fault codes from the radio or the antenna. Being a former auto tech and current IT guy, I was a little skeptical their tools get so granular, but I didn't press it. I called Ram Cares and they pointed me to a dealer portal update which I mailed to Carmax. Carmax called the local RAM dealer and confirmed it needed an update, but that they wouldn't do it and pointed me to the Uconnect site, which of course we know how helpful the VIN lookup tool is. I also am skeptical that a software update can fix this, but need to do it to get to the next step. I can see this turning into a three-party cluster in short order.

Questions:
- How can I get into dealer mode or check firmware version on a non-Nav UC4 unit? Every set of steps I have tried (two fingers, hold down buttons, etc) has had zero effect
- Does anyone have a link to the latest version of UC firmware for non-NAV? (I have seen the threads for Nav)
- If as expected the firmware update does not bring back SiriusXM, what is the next logical step? Is this problem normally due to head unit, or the antenna (hoping not the antenna as it appears to be a leak hot spot and I'd prefer to leave well enough alone)

The only mods I've done to it since I bought it were to install a tonneau cover (Bak Revolver) and side steps. I did break off a step bracket stud and had to drill out and re-tap the stud to take a bolt, but I am guessing the antenna wiring does not pass anywhere close to the rockers.

Thanks for any advice!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi all,
I bought a 2019 Big Horn in Sept from Carmax (I know... I know). It has actually been pretty good save for the other day when the satellite signal went out suddenly while driving, and has been displaying the dreaded "Acquiring Signal" message since. Tried the usual reset, resend signal, yadda yadda. SXM blamed hardware so I took it back to Carmax who gives me a 90 day warranty. As expected they said they hooked up their "scan tool" and received no fault codes from the radio or the antenna. Being a former auto tech and current IT guy, I was a little skeptical their tools get so granular, but I didn't press it. I called Ram Cares and they pointed me to a dealer portal update which I mailed to Carmax. Carmax called the local RAM dealer and confirmed it needed an update, but that they wouldn't do it and pointed me to the Uconnect site, which of course we know how helpful the VIN lookup tool is. I also am skeptical that a software update can fix this, but need to do it to get to the next step. I can see this turning into a three-party cluster in short order.

Questions:
- How can I get into dealer mode or check firmware version on a non-Nav UC4 unit? Every set of steps I have tried (two fingers, hold down buttons, etc) has had zero effect
- Does anyone have a link to the latest version of UC firmware for non-NAV? (I have seen the threads for Nav)
- If as expected the firmware update does not bring back SiriusXM, what is the next logical step? Is this problem normally due to head unit, or the antenna (hoping not the antenna as it appears to be a leak hot spot and I'd prefer to leave well enough alone)

The only mods I've done to it since I bought it were to install a tonneau cover (Bak Revolver) and side steps. I did break off a step bracket stud and had to drill out and re-tap the stud to take a bolt, but I am guessing the antenna wiring does not pass anywhere close to the rockers.

Thanks for any advice!
Hello Giantsean,

Thank you for grabbing our attention. Please send us a PM with your VIN, our team would be happy to assist you further.

William
Ram Cares

giantsean

Reaction score
Sent

One more update - when I picked up the truck today they printed me out a TSB and told me a local CDJR dealer told them I could install it myself. However these clearly require DealerCONNECT access which I do not have. First things first though... need to figure out what the latest update is and whether I have it, so I can show them I did it and get them to replace whatever is REALLY wrong :)

giantsean

Reaction score
Today's update - spoke to a nice RamCares rep who walked me through multiple steps to get my radio firmware version (ie Dealer Mode) all of which failed. I was told I have to bring it into the dealership and I am now waiting a call back from them to confirm what I already know, that they'll want to charge me to do the update. We'll see how long I'm in the blame loop before someone breaks. I am happy to do the update myself, I just need to know where to find it. VERY frustrating.

By my reckoning, Carmax sold me a vehicle which has a radio problem. If they think the fix is a firmware update and they cannot do it, they should arrange a dealership appt and cover the cost to get it fixed, if there is one. Sorry I know this is not the Carmax venting forum, just thinking out loud :D

giantsean

Reaction score
So just an update for anyone caring now or searching later. Carmax covered the trip to the dealer. The dealer applied the firmware update BUT it did not correct the "Acquiring Signal" condition. They tested the head unit with an external antenna and traced the problem back to the head unit (vs the antenna... thank goodness because that is a primo leak spot). Carmax reviewing next steps now, but worst case a radio exchange is only 400 bucks, which seems pretty reasonable.

Of further interest though, CONFIRMED that flashing the new firmware on the UAM radio enables the ability to get into Dealer Mode by holding on the lower two corners. So if there are any Uconnect owners w/ UAM that can't get into dealer mode, look into getting your unit flashed.

Users who are viewing this thread