5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 1500 Limited Air Suspension Towing

clinesmb

Reaction score
I have been looking through the forum and I am struggling with this one.

I am about to purchase a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with the 4 corner air suspension. I will be trading in a 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie w/o the air suspension

I will be towing my enclosed car trailer total 30 ft in length and loaded weight about 7,800. My current Ram has the 3.21 rear tows ok but I hear the 3.92 is a better towing gear. I have seen mostly so so reviews on the 4 corner air suspension and 3.92 gears.

Question here is.
Anyone have any good or bad experience towing with the 4 corner Air Suspension and what are your thoughts on it?

Should I just look for a Ram without the Air Suspension and 3.92 gears?

Thoughts and opnions would be appriciated.

Thank you

Johnny_H

Reaction score
I have a 21 limited with air and came from a 17 limited with air. I tow a 25 foot big fat pontoon boat loaded around 6500 pounds and it tows with ease. My 17 developed leaks in the airbags after a few years and wasn’t reliable in the cold but those trucks were notorious for that. The system is totally redesigned for the gen 5 with a different compressor and bags and it seems to work far better and far more reliable.

The main reason I got the air (and stuck with it) is for towing. Number one it keeps the truck level under load. Number two sometimes it gets you out of sticky situations like being able to raise or lower when hitching on uneven ground or launching the boat on shallow launches.

The ride comfort is also a benefit though less of an advantage for the gen 5 because every truck I’ve driven is comfortable whether it has air or not and whether is has 20 or 22s. The occasional lifting for off road is nice but not really necessary.

The only thing you will hear from guys is 7800 is approaching max payload depending on your tongue weight. I have absolutely no concerns towing my boat with a fully loaded truck, and it tows easily and far more stable than the 2017.

I also have the 3.92 in both the 17 and 21 and it’s great, but it’s not crucial given the 8 speed. With the old transmission it’s a must have, but in my opinion the 3.21 is better on the 8 speed because you basically get an extra overdrive gear when not towing, and it will still easily tow anything the suspension is capable of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome.

I have the 4-corner air suspension and 3.92 gears, they were must haves for me along with the 33-gallon tank for towing.

Our camper is at 8,000 lbs loaded and I’m very happy with how it handles. I tow in Aero Mode. While the air suspension levels out nicely, it does take a little more effort to get the WDH dialed in correctly.

I love this truck

396F913A-F9CE-4E64-9044-CECD09D9CD6B.png

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I didn't get the air suspension because of reports that it doesn't do very well in extremely cold weather (which I get a few weeks in the year). Some say they have no problems with it in winter. But it's a nice feature for towing, the rest of us sometimes have to go into aftermarket with airbags or sumo springs etc.

The limited's are nice, but check the door jamb sticker for payload rating; that will be your real limit on the truck and the one you will hit first. Most limiteds I've seen are < 1300 pounds and depending on your tongue weight and passengers/cargo you will burn through that very fast with the weight you're pulling.

5th gens can still come nicely equipped with > 1700 pounds of payload, if you stick with tradesman or bighorn trims and stay away from heavy features like off road group (skid plates), panoramic sunroof, e-torque, and ram boxes.

clinesmb

Reaction score
Looks like the payload and towing capacity on the limited is better than my current truck. So I assume based on this no issues with current truck the Limited should be better than am I correct ?

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I got the air suspension because I tow a 26' enclosed car trailer (8,000# loaded). I love it! It works great. I have had it for 3 years and 56k miles and no problems with the air suspension. Even with the cold weather we get in Northern Indiana. I have the 3.92's and it tows fine with them. I only problem with 3.92's is worse gas mileage.

clinesmb

Reaction score
Anyone having sway issues, I have read some are but may be setups
Also do you all have the 22inch wheels?

clinesmb

Reaction score
Looks like the payload and towing capacity on the limited is better than my current truck. So I assume based on this no issues with current truck the Limited should be better than am I correct ?
Thats what I am thinking/hoping

Johnny_H

Reaction score
My 2021 limited with 3.92 22 inch tires and air ride tows way better than my 2017 limited 3.92 with 20 inch tires and air ride.

Especially with adaptive cruise and lane departure, as well as blind spot detection that includes your trailer….it’s probably 75% less stressful.

clinesmb

Reaction score
My 2021 limited with 3.92 22 inch tires and air ride tows way better than my 2017 limited 3.92 with 20 inch tires and air ride.

Especially with adaptive cruise and lane departure, as well as blind spot detection that includes your trailer….it’s probably 75% less stressful.

How big and heavy is what you tow?

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
definitely check your door to see what your max payload is. My 2021 limited is:

MAX PAYLOAD 1067.61LBS
MAX TOWING 9467.61LBS

Once you have 2 adults and all of our gear in there, we really don't have much payload left for a trailer. I don't have buyers remorse but I do wish I had thought more about wanting a nicer truck versus wanting a capable truck. I'm really maximum 500 pounds of tongue weight on my setup which pretty much means I'm not able to tow a camper that isn't a pop-up/pod.

we regularly drive over payload. It's usually 400* in humans, 150 pounds in gear + two motorcycles one is 670* and one is 500* in the bed. With the diesel and air suspension I don't even know the bikes are back there but I am absolutely over payload by about 800* once all is said and done. so the diesel + air does help. truck sits fine fully loaded up:

nAA0DVj.jpeg
rPY1eep.jpeg

You can't really tell in these photos that we're pushing 2000 pounds.

Johnny_H

Reaction score
How big and heavy is what you tow?

11ca31c623d63fe65cc016dba41143ba.jpg

I have a 25 foot tri toon with a 250 on it. It’s fat and heavy. Loaded with gas and using it as travel trailer hauling a couple weeks worth of gear and trailer it’s around 6000 pounds. You barely notice it towing under 40mph, as soon as you hit 55 it’s a giant wind sail. Tows with ease up to 75mph but it just sucks gas, if there’s a big cross or headwind I keep it at 65.

clinesmb

Reaction score
Thank you all for your feedback and help. I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought the 2019 Limited I was looking at.
Hopefully this will tow my trailer better than my 2016 Laramie.
1st Pic.jpg

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Congrats man beauty truck. I’m sure you will be very happy with it. Please give us some feedback on it as you put some miles on. If you end up having troubles towing with it, it means you need a 2500 and Ram needs to change their marketing - but from what you’ve said I think a 2500 is overkill for you and you will absolutely love your limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/