5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 1500 Big Horn vs 2020 1500 Big Horn Built to Serve?

PanzerFreak

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a certified pre own 1500 RAM within the next month. My musts are at least a crew cab, and four wheel drive. My budget is $35k. I've come down to the two vehicles below. Both are nearly the same price, $35k, but the 2019 model has half the miles with a level 1 equipment group (plus doesn't have Built to Server options).

Option 1: Certified preowned 2019 1500 Big Horn, 3.6L, 4x4, crew cab with level 1 equipment group, 25k miles: $35k

Option 2: Certified preowned 2020 1500 Big Horn Built to Serve edition, 3.6L, 4x4, crew cab with level 2 equipment group, 50k miles: $35k

The Built to Serve vehicle with the level 2 equipment group appears to have some rather nice features over the standard Bighorn with a level 1 equipment group. However, having the half the miles on the vehicle is also a big draw. I don't do any towing, much of my driving is 75% city / 25% highway and besides my budget that has led me to selecting a 1500 with the 3.6L engine. I live in Ohio near the Ohio Michigan border so the winters here can get rather cold which makes having heated seats plus a heated steering wheel a nice option. The Built to Serve features also seem rather nice.

Between these two vehicles which would you go with and why?

Thank you

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is a tough choice, but I would lean towards the Built To Serve as it has more desirable features which make for a more pleasant ownership experience.

The 50k miles is nothing on the 3.6 and 8sp, so that should not worry ya.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
BTS will have more resale/trade value should you ever decide to get something else, as evidenced by its price with more miles. I would have purchased one of the Orange BTS editions if the timing had been right

PanzerFreak

Reaction score
That is a tough choice, but I would lean towards the Built To Serve as it has more desirable features which make for a more pleasant ownership experience.

Thank you for the reply. Those desirable features are pulling me towards the BTS edition. The level 2 package + BTS features would be nice to have.

Thank you, those are good points. That's also good to hear about the miles and the 3.6.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely get the BTS. It's a better value, even with the higher miles. The V6 takes a little away for me, but obviously fits your needs. What color is the BTS?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I vote BTS but negotiation the price to get it a few grand cheaper (might be impossible in todays market but still try) which would make it a easier decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Personally I like the base Bighorn over the BTS Bighorn as they are lighter and have better payload. The base Bighorn will have better fuel economy, which is something to consider as we get closer to double digit fuel cost. Do you know the gear ratio of the two trucks?

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I like the Bighorn as they are lighter and have better payload. The Bighorn will have better fuel economy, which is something to consider as we get closer to double digit fuel cost. Do you know the gear ratio of the two trucks?
Little tip, they are both BigHorns.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely pay a little and get car fax report for both. It should show the history of all maintenance along with service if done by the dealers. If both have not had any issues, I would personally go with BTS.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, I for got to mention. Along with all maintenance done by dealers, the car fax should show if the truck has been in an accident. It should show all accidents that an insurance claim was turned in on.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Barring any major issues with the CarFax report, I would go with the Built to Serve Edition. In my opinion, more comfort equals more joy of ownership.
As far as the miles are concerned - don't worry about them. I just hit 430,000 miles on my 2014 Bighorn 1500 with a 3.6 liter V6 with virtually no issues.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Carfax is overrated. Maintenance and accidents have to be reported to Carfax for it to make it on the report. Anything done by owner themselves is not on the report. Even if they have an accidental, if repaired out of pocket and not reported to insurance it's not on Carfax. If it's really that important to you, most dealers have Carfax accou ta and will provide you a free report

PanzerFreak

Reaction score
BTS. 50k mikes ain’t nuthin!
Definitely pay a little and get car fax report for both. It should show the history of all maintenance along with service if done by the dealers. If both have not had any issues, I would personally go with BTS.
Also, I for got to mention. Along with all maintenance done by dealers, the car fax should show if the truck has been in an accident. It should show all accidents that an insurance claim was turned in on.
Carfax is overrated. Maintenance and accidents have to be reported to Carfax for it to make it on the report. Anything done by owner themselves is not on the report. Even if they have an accidental, if repaired out of pocket and not reported to insurance it's not on Carfax. If it's really that important to you, most dealers have Carfax accou ta and will provide you a free report
Thank you very much for the replies! I feel much more comfortable now going forward with the 2020 BTS edition. I was able to view the Carfax, looks good besides the first oil change not being reported until nearly 10,000 miles. Regular oil changes were reported after the first entry, no accidents and it's a lease turn in. The vehicle has a certified preowned which with me driving around 10,000 miles a year should get me to the end of 2026 - mid 2027 being covered. Whoever owned the truck put 50k miles on it in a little under 2 years which seems like a lot, maybe mostly highway miles I assume.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the replies! I feel much more comfortable now going forward with the 2020 BTS edition. I was able to view the Carfax, looks good besides the first oil change not being reported until nearly 10,000 miles. Regular oil changes were reported after the first entry, no accidents and it's a lease turn in. The vehicle has a certified preowned which with me driving around 10,000 miles a year should get me to the end of 2026 - mid 2027 being covered. Whoever owned the truck put 50k miles on it in a little under 2 years which seems like a lot, maybe mostly highway miles I assume.
First oil change was probably done when the oil change indicator came in, which usually happens around 10k miles

PanzerFreak

Reaction score
One last comparison question! So I did see another 2020 ceritified preowned 1500 pop up locally. This one is not a BTS but is a night edition, crew cab, 4x4, level 2 equipment package with cloth seats. Price is $37,000 but it only has 20k miles on it, the BTS model I'm looking at is $35,000 with 52,000 miles on it. Would you still go with the BTS in this case? I was looking at Kelly Blue Book trade in values and the night edition with lower miles has about a $4k higher trade in value currently.

Users who are viewing this thread