5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 1500 5.7 Hemi Possible lifter tick?

Opulence

Reaction score
I wanted to get yall's opinions on this. My truck is going back to the dealer next week, but from these same video's I'm linking here the service person thinks it could be the exhaust. I think it's a lifter tick, but I could be wrong too. I've had rough starts on and off for the last 2 years, but recently it's gotten worse. It now has a ticking everytime I start it after it's been sitting for at least an hour. On pure cold starts the engine struggles to start and sometimes stalls out trying to start. There's enough oil in it and only 1700 miles on this current oil, the air filter is only a month or so old, and I'm only using 93 octane fuel. I've tried resetting the Throttle Position Sensor a few times before, all times I've gotten no fix.

The ticking seems to go away (or at least get quiet) after the truck moves and doesn't come back until it's been shut off for a couple hours.

It has some exhaust work done to it. All 3 resonators deleted, and a Flowmaster muffler instead of the stock one. Had this setup for 4 of the 5 years I've had the truck. Also the truck has about 64500 miles on it.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to get yall's opinions on this. My truck is going back to the dealer next week, but from these same video's I'm linking here the service person thinks it could be the exhaust. I think it's a lifter tick, but I could be wrong too. I've had rough starts on and off for the last 2 years, but recently it's gotten worse. It now has a ticking everytime I start it after it's been sitting for at least an hour. On pure cold starts the engine struggles to start and sometimes stalls out trying to start. There's enough oil in it and only 1700 miles on this current oil, the air filter is only a month or so old, and I'm only using 93 octane fuel. I've tried resetting the Throttle Position Sensor a few times before, all times I've gotten no fix.

The ticking seems to go away (or at least get quiet) after the truck moves and doesn't come back until it's been shut off for a couple hours.

It has some exhaust work done to it. All 3 resonators deleted, and a Flowmaster muffler instead of the stock one. Had this setup for 4 of the 5 years I've had the truck. Also the truck has about 64500 miles on it.

First video sounds like a leak from the exhaust, no idea on the rough start.

Opulence

Reaction score
First video sounds like a leak from the exhaust, no idea on the rough start.
Would a leak in the exhaust go away though? The ticking sound goes away like 30 seconds to a minute after I start the truck, and quicker if I drive. Doesn't come back until after the truck sits for a couple hours. I would much rather it be the exhaust but I feel like an exhaust leak would be there the entire drive.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Would a leak in the exhaust go away though? The ticking sound goes away like 30 seconds to a minute after I start the truck, and quicker if I drive. Doesn't come back until after the truck sits for a couple hours. I would much rather it be the exhaust but I feel like an exhaust leak would be there the entire drive.

Yes, exhaust heats up and the metal expands closing the gap so the noise reduces in part or completely.

Tick that is loud when cold and goes away when hot = exhaust
Tick that is loud on a hot idle only = lifter/cam
Tick that is very light, quite fast, and only really noticeable with hood open = injectors and completely normal

^^^ General rules.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The noise from my exhaust leak went away after about a minute or so after the manifold warmed up.

Opulence

Reaction score
Your start up problem is a whole different issue.
Yea, it's the one I'm mainly concerned with now. Tick seems like exhaust manifold, so that should be covered under warranty (I reckon). The start up issue is weird. Only on cold starts, and not every time, but when it happens, it's very concerning and still has a rough idle for 30 seconds before it finally smooths out like a normal idle. I'm wondering if something in the fuel system is clogged, maybe the ECU is trying to start it in 4cyl mode or with a bad air/fuel ratio; I don't know but hopefully the dealership can find the problem. I hope I'm not the first case of this, and it's some weird thing that'll take months to figure out.

heffy

Reaction score
Yea, it's the one I'm mainly concerned with now. Tick seems like exhaust manifold, so that should be covered under warranty (I reckon). The start up issue is weird. Only on cold starts, and not every time, but when it happens, it's very concerning and still has a rough idle for 30 seconds before it finally smooths out like a normal idle. I'm wondering if something in the fuel system is clogged, maybe the ECU is trying to start it in 4cyl mode or with a bad air/fuel ratio; I don't know but hopefully the dealership can find the problem. I hope I'm not the first case of this, and it's some weird thing that'll take months to figure out.
I'm hopeful it's computer related, simple programing fix. Doubt it's anything major.

Users who are viewing this thread