5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20" Sport Rims (not listed on FCA) and Upgrade to 22" (factory)

Reaction score
2 Part Post.

1 - I have a RAM sport model (Canadian) and I can't find any pictures or options for the style of wheels that my truck came with. I can't find them on the FCA website, my dealers build site, this website or pictures on the web really. Does anyone find that a bit weird? They are the ones pictured on my pearl blue truck. Anyone have these rims? Why are they not listed on the dealer or FCA website? When I go to build the Sport truck the ones they say that are stock are chrome ones.

This brings me to my second post.

2- I having been playing with the idea powder coating my rims black (gloss or black chrome / blue or blue/black combo) but recently I have also debating on upgrading to the 22" rims. I found someone local who is looking to downgrade to the 20 inch size. His 22s have 7000km (4350miles), no winter driving (he has winter rims) and they are filled with air he believes. Mine have 26000km (16,200miles), 2 winters but nothing wrong with them, and nitrogen filled. We haven't worked out the details yet but he is interested in trading and said he will be fair with the deal. So this brings me to my questions.

A) Would there be a significant difference in ride quality?
B) Would there be a significant differences in tire wear (I'm all highway driving)
C) Since my rims don't appear to be stock options, what's the best way to determine if my rims cost more money because they seem to upgrades from the factory available 20s?
D) I like the look for my 20s and the 22s, if that being said would you personally trade or get the 20s powder coated instead?

I'm not concerned about air vs nitrogen, if I want I can get them nitrogen filled at the dealer. Not really sure of the cost as mine were done by the dealer automatically. But I'm sure this cost would also be a small factor in deciding the deal.

Anyone have thoughts?

**Eventually when I get more money, I plan on installing a leveling lift kit (don't know which one, but one that will lift and level the front by 2") and then upgrading the rims/tires to aftermarket rims and maybe some 33s or 35s. Having the 3.21 gears makings me weary of 35s but I've read on here that with the 8speed trans you wouldn't notice much powerless**

Thanks.

My Rim
20200403_171419.jpg

The 22s
ad_1_1587762009003.jpg ad_2_1587762009004.jpg ad_0_1587762008997.jpg

Kidder

Reaction score
Those are Laramie premium wheels on your blue truck.
fdedb13a52cb0da4da89eccd5485201a.jpg

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The wheels on the Blue truck are from the Tradesman sport but I've scene them on the regular sport Rams. Mopar also offers that wheel as an aftermarket accessory called the Satin Carbon Wheel. Although I think the color is a bit different.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What Kidder said. Those are definitely factory options. Worth about the same as any other 20" factory wheels. As far as ride quality, the 22s will probably be a touch firmer with the lower profile sidewall. Maybe someone who's had both will chime in.

Regular old air is already 78% nitrogen so that's nothing of value. Save your money.

aa9ef63aab_800.jpg

2019_ram_1500-pic-4298507724953855488-1600x1200.jpeg

Reaction score
I’m an idiot lol.... I don’t know what I was thinking because the rims are shown on the ramtrucks website. Just not a rim/tire combo I see all over the place.

I’m still debating if I like my rims or those other ones. Sometimes when I look at those 22’s on trucks it looks like there is too much going on with the spokes and other views I like them. Decisions decisions.

I’m headed to the powder-coater on Monday for some other items. I‘m going to ask about powder coating my rims high gloss black and see how much it is before I make a decision. I like the design of my rims, I’d just prefer them to be black as everything else on the truck is black and the rims are the only shinny bright part on it. So to go with the theme I want them to be darker.

aametzger

Reaction score
I’m an idiot lol.... I don’t know what I was thinking because the rims are shown on the ramtrucks website. Just not a rim/tire combo I see all over the place.

I’m still debating if I like my rims or those other ones. Sometimes when I look at those 22’s on trucks it looks like there is too much going on with the spokes and other views I like them. Decisions decisions.

I’m headed to the powder-coater on Monday for some other items. I‘m going to ask about powder coating my rims high gloss black and see how much it is before I make a decision. I like the design of my rims, I’d just prefer them to be black as everything else on the truck is black and the rims are the only shinny bright part on it. So to go with the theme I want them to be darker.
It's likely going to be between $110 -$150 per wheel to Powder coat. If they want much over $150 per wheel I would shop around. That being said I'm in Ohio so depending on where you live prices may be different. I personally think gloss black wheels on your truck will look really good.

Reaction score
It's likely going to be between $110 -$150 per wheel to Powder coat. If they want much over $150 per wheel I would shop around. That being said I'm in Ohio so depending on where you live prices may be different. I personally think gloss black wheels on your truck will look really good.

I’m in Ontario, the place I am taking my exhaust parts to (B2 5” tips and resonator delete, charging $100cad for all this) has 13”-19” rims listed on between $70-100cad ($50-75amr) so I would think the 20s wouldn’t be much more.

I do agree, I think the 20s in glossy black would look very nice. I am debating between making the spokes gloss black and leaving the lip polish like it is now or just going all black. My only beef with all black, is at night it just looks like a big round hole as it’s hard to make out black rims at night. With that being said, that is part of reason I want to go gloss black cause at night they will probably still have a sheen to them.

My only issue is, if this shop doesn’t have a tire machine. I’m going to have to then get the tires taken off so I can take it him my rims. I don’t have a spare set of times to be able to do that. So it will be impossible for me to do if this guy doesn’t also have a tire machine.

Reaction score
Here is a VERY crude take on both my ideas, over completely black. I’m not artist so mind the childish editing lol Plus I have limited programs on my iPad.

Front axle all the raised parts are kept the factory polish aluminum showing and the back axle is with just the outer lip kept showing.
263076AD-8F0D-4248-A61E-81477B7FCAA8.jpeg

Also I knew I wasn’t crazy, look at the rims the picture shows that come with the Sport model, they look like the limited models rims, but in 20’s instead of 22’s.. Maybe a website error?
5E1F168A-86AF-4108-9085-DDEE133193DB.png

Reaction score
Another very CRUDE piece of art work lol.. All black or course.

I was playing with the idea at one time with having them done in blue, with any combination of all blue or blue and black combinations. I have since shot that idea down, a little bit because I don’t know if it would look good or look “ricey like a 17 year olds Honda Civic“ , but most importantly if I even want to upgrade to aftermarket rims and tires then it would make it harder to sell my custom rims with blue powder coat. I would severely limited the market of people that would buy to people with blue trucks, or maybe some blacks or white trucks. Although I could keep them and then put winter tires on them but I highly doubt I’d end up doing that.

6A251845-824D-4CCD-8071-0442A84530FB.jpeg

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the front axle photo, I prefer some contrast so you can still see the design of the wheel from a distance.

Reaction score
I like the front axle photo, I prefer some contrast so you can still see the design of the wheel from a distance.

That’s what I am thinking as well, the more I look at that one the more I like it. I’ve always said black rims look great in the day time, but at night time they blend into the tires and darkness so you can’t even see them.

I agree the contrast of the black and polish sets them off.. Also makes the rims look like it has 10 polished spokes rather then 5 powder coated spokes. If you get what I am trying to say.

Reaction score

Now the only problem I can see with this design, is that the top of the spoke is at the same level of the outer lip, unlike the rest of the spoke where the polish part is raise and the black part is sunken. This means the powder coat will be at a high level, so it wouldn’t been smooth with the outer lip. I’d have to talk to the coater and see what he says...

I do like that design tho. Maybe in a metallic black. I’ve been looking at other black colours and I am debating between metallic, gloss black or satin black.

Satin Black - hard to wash I here and other issues
Glossy Black - scratches easier, maybe makes them look to much like aftermarket
Metallic - not dull like flat black but not as glossy as the glossy black. A little of A and a little of B

aametzger

Reaction score
I personally like the idea of the all gloss black, and then get some black lugs. (maybe I'm biased because that's what I did :) ).
A couple of other "food for thought" items.
  • If you go all black you can always use removable vinyl in sections (blue or whatever) to give the desired accent
  • if you are looking to keep some of the polished, I'm not sure if they can Powdercoat (I'm not 100% on this statement), they may need to paint instead (less durable)
  • you could get your brake calipers painted to help break of the all-black of the wheels.
looking forward to seeing the transformation!

Reaction score
I personally like the idea of the all gloss black, and then get some black lugs. (maybe I'm biased because that's what I did :) ).
A couple of other "food for thought" items.
  • If you go all black you can always use removable vinyl in sections (blue or whatever) to give the desired accent
  • if you are looking to keep some of the polished, I'm not sure if they can Powdercoat (I'm not 100% on this statement), they may need to paint instead (less durable)
  • you could get your brake calipers painted to help break of the all-black of the wheels.
looking forward to seeing the transformation!

Their site list speciality masking, which I take as they can mask of certain areas of the rims when doing the coating. If they can’t keep the polished part for whatever reason (maybe might affact the prepping if they use sandblasting or whatever) It’s a question I am going to ask him when I see him on Monday. The black/polish of all the raise spots is something I am really starting to like. It gives some contrast, which I like.

We shall see Monday what he says. This idea can all come crashing down if he doesn’t have a tire machine and then if I can’t find someone who can lend me some rims/tires for a short time period.

Reaction score
So if the powder coating doesn't pan out. The other guy said he would trade my rims for his plus $400cad (280us) which I think is pretty fair. His tires have 20,000km less then mine.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm debating getting a set of the sport 22's. If I find them for the right price I would probably jump on them.

Reaction score
Are these the 22” sport rims your talking about?

When I first saw them I really liked them, when the trucks were newer and when I started to shop around. I liked that they were bigger and dark.

As time goes on I keep looking at them and sometimes (and some angles) I like them and then other times (and some angles) I don’t like them if that makes sense. Depending on how you look at them, you may see a design of silver rectangles that stop at the hub area and then in another way you look, when you look at the darker design you see someone what a 5 blade type of pattern. It’s confusing and I never can focus on the design I really like is the 5 spoke design. The rectangle design sorta of ruins it for me.... I dunno..

Maybe powder coating the silver outsides with blacK powder coat and then you might not be so focused on the rectangle shape. I think they made this rim In completely black on the Black Edition truck. But those are hard to find used.

053A9E1C-5257-4E5D-9AE6-5669ABEA9CFF.png

Reaction score
I'm debating getting a set of the sport 22's. If I find them for the right price I would probably jump on them.

I’m really debating on getting them, I think the $400 price I am paying is worth it. The tires have 7000km on them and mine have 26,000km on them. So I get practically new tires and 22” rims for $400cad. Not a bad deal.

If the powder coat idea doesn’t pan out for me then I will end up just getting the 22‘s as I feel it‘s a fair deal and I still don’t mind then.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes those are the sport 22" wheels, I think you can get them in all black now. When I first saw them I did not like them but seeing them on a few trucks and I really like them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/