5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20,000 mile checkup question

ericd

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So i have my 20k mile check coming up very soon. My problem is my local service department is the absolute worst. They're rude, unhelpful, and completely unmotivated to do anything. When you walk in nobody even acknowledges your presence at the counter and they act like you're bothering them if you need something done. They just stare at you until you start talking. They have horrendous reviews online. Anyway, my question is, if I tell them i need a 20k mile checkup are they gonna act like they have no idea what I'm talking about or is this a pretty standard thing that they are used to checking. Or are they gonna say, "well what do you want us to look at?"

I can already see them being unhelpful so I'm trying to figure out exactly what I need to tell them to have this service done.

Thanks for your input

spinxt

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So i have my 20k mile check coming up very soon. My problem is my local service department is the absolute worst. They're rude, unhelpful, and completely unmotivated to do anything. When you walk in nobody even acknowledges your presence at the counter and they act like you're bothering them if you need something done. They just stare at you until you start talking. They have horrendous reviews online. Anyway, my question is, if I tell them i need a 20k mile checkup are they gonna act like they have no idea what I'm talking about or is this a pretty standard thing that they are used to checking. Or are they gonna say, "well what do you want us to look at?"

I can already see them being unhelpful so I'm trying to figure out exactly what I need to tell them to have this service done.

Thanks for your input
I’m not even sure what a 20,000 checkup is. There is certainly nothing mechanical that needs done (unless it’s time to change oil). Save yourself the headache and climb under your truck. Check CV joints, look for leaks, etc. You can complete your 20k mile checkup yourself in 5 minutes and not give your ****ty service department an opportunity to sell you something you don’t need.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Agree with @spinxt that you can do most of it yourself and avoid your toxic dealership. Or, find another qualified service center who can adequately perform and document that they've done the inspections and/or services required. As for what is called for, this is from the OM:

20k mile checkup.PNG

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for your input
I wonder, do you ever get a customer satisfaction survey from FCA after a service visit?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029664 miles.

79 300

Reaction score
I wonder, do you ever get a customer satisfaction survey from FCA after a service visit?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029664 miles.
I get one via email within a few days of any service visit.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's good. You now have a method to communicate your poor experience back to the company.
By your description the dealer is not providing you with good service, and unless the manufacturer is aware of it corrective steps cannot be taken.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029675 miles.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
That's good. You now have a method to communicate your poor experience back to the company.
By your description the dealer is not providing you with good service, and unless the manufacturer is aware of it corrective steps cannot be taken.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029675 miles.
From OP's comments, it sounds like this particular dealer service department doesn't give two shytes about reviews and surveys. And if they are that bad, AND if FCA hasn't or isn't doing anything about it, they probably have no incentive to change, as long as they're making money. I find that most departments of any kind tend to reflect their leadership/management. I shudder to think what they must be like.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unless you are in a remote area, try somewhere else. I bought an hour away but I don't go there for service.
Like was posted, the maintenance schedule is "inspect" vs "service"... so that's not much more than a good service department does anyway.

I've found that the regular oil changes often give a "look-see hope to find something" inspection which should suffice. If you are uber concerned with maintaining warranty coverage then tell the RAM service advisor you want it all checked over.
I doubt they would deny you anything because of mere "inspect" issues.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From OP's comments, it sounds like this particular dealer service department doesn't give two shytes about reviews and surveys. And if they are that bad, AND if FCA hasn't or isn't doing anything about it, they probably have no incentive to change, as long as they're making money. I find that most departments of any kind tend to reflect their leadership/management. I shudder to think what they must be like.
You are probably correct. By his description it appears that the service department is operating under a significant malaise at the very least. It is unfortunately true that many dealerships put most of their emphasis on the front end of the store and treat the service end as a necessary encumbrance. Still, there is a contract that requires the dealer to meet certain level of service conditions, and in some cases dealerships can lose certain purchasing incentives if customer service levels aren't met. Although rare, there have been cases where a manufacturer pulls the dealers ticket because of poor customer surveys.

I haven't seen any recent stats on this, but in past years the overwhelming loss of customer loyalty is due to poor dealership interactions with the customer.

Best regards,
Dusty

spinxt

Reaction score
Those surveys work...my dealer always asks me to give them 10s.. trying to guilt me they service techs/writers get incentives based on feedback scores. My response is always the same “if you earn a 10, you’ll get a 10”. They look at me like I have 3 heads when I say that...almost like the expect a 10 just because I owe it to them.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are probably correct. By his description it appears that the service department is operating under a significant malaise at the very least. It is unfortunately true that many dealerships put most of their emphasis on the front end of the store and treat the service end as a necessary encumbrance. Still, there is a contract that requires the dealer to meet certain level of service conditions, and in some cases dealerships can lose certain purchasing incentives if customer service levels aren't met. Although rare, there have been cases where a manufacturer pulls the dealers ticket because of poor customer surveys.

I haven't seen any recent stats on this, but in past years the overwhelming loss of customer loyalty is due to poor dealership interactions with the customer.

Best regards,
Dusty
Dealers that do that must be crazy because the service department is where all the money is made. Margins on new vehicles generally sucks for the dealership; they live off of trade-ins, servicing and financing. My father sold cars all his life and any salesman worth anything wanted to sell 10 used cars for every new car. The new cars are just the conduit to get the used cars in at a great margin.

Users who are viewing this thread