5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20’’ Wheels on the BH 1500

ram1500BH

Reaction score
For those who own a 1500 with 20’’ wheels or even those who have spent significant time in one, is the smoothness of the drive noticeably different than it is with a smaller sized tire?

alangsam

Reaction score
For those who own a 1500 with 20’’ wheels or even those who have spent significant time in one, is the smoothness of the drive noticeably different than it is with a smaller sized tire?

I’ve test drove the 18 20 and 22 inch wheels all on pavement with some bumps. The 18 and 20 are similar and smooth. The 22’s are rougher ride. Not enough sidewalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ram1500BH

Reaction score
I’ve test drove the 18 20 and 22 inch wheels all on pavement with some bumps. The 18 and 20 are similar and smooth. The 22’s are rougher ride. Not enough sidewalk.

I’ve only tested the 18’s and loved the drive. I haven’t been able to find may reviews of the actual feel of 20’s on the Ram. So thanks for that.

This may be a dumb question but does the jump from 18 to 20’s make your truck taller?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe it's the same rolling diameter, but I could be wrong. I may be in the minority, but I actually like the 18" rims on my Big Horn. Definitely don't like the chrome clad 20" Big Horn wheels. Screams 1995 IMO. Love the 20" Laramie Sport wheels however.

alangsam

Reaction score
I’ve only tested the 18’s and loved the drive. I haven’t been able to find may reviews of the actual feel of 20’s on the Ram. So thanks for that.

This may be a dumb question but does the jump from 18 to 20’s make your truck taller?

No. The circumference of the all season tires are all about 32 inches from the factory. The 20’s are 55 the 22’s are 45 and the 18’s are 65 aspect ratios.

The reality is that the 22’s are the best looking oem ram wheel but the sidewall is too small causes tougher ride and it doesn’t look right on a truck imo. All personal preference. There also aren’t many choices in a 22 tire where there are many for 18 and 20.

Jtc411

Reaction score
I have 20s and the ride is very smooth. Never drove the 18s but I have 0 complaints with 20s

ram1500BH

Reaction score
I believe it's the same rolling diameter, but I could be wrong. I may be in the minority, but I actually like the 18" rims on my Big Horn. Definitely don't like the chrome clad 20" Big Horn wheels. Screams 1995 IMO. Love the 20" Laramie Sport wheels however.

I'm with you on the 18's vs the 20's on the BH. 18 is definitely the preference, but finding the perfect truck is proving difficult so I'm trying to decide if going with the 20's is a concession that could be made.

No. The circumference of the all season tires are all about 32 inches from the factory. The 20’s are 55 the 22’s are 45 and the 18’s are 65 aspect ratios.

The reality is that the 22’s are the best looking oem ram wheel but the sidewall is too small causes tougher ride and it doesn’t look right on a truck imo. All personal preference. There also aren’t many choices in a 22 tire where there are many for 18 and 20.

great info. Thanks! Appreciate it!

Runningwithbeers

Reaction score
I just added 20" wheels to my big horn and some of the rougher ride will be from going to a stiffer sidewall A/T tire. I think my ride is a slightly more rough when driving over frost heaves and pot holes and I might have lost an mpg or two but I'm loving the wheel and tire change.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Diameter is 32”; circumference is ~100”

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I have the 20's on my Bighorn and love the ride quality as it is smooth to me. I also love the chrome clad wheels to the point I am not buying any aftermarket wheels. I am digging the chrome look.

I live in Florida where most of the roads are butter smooth. The real test will come when I visit Pennsylvania in the next few weeks.

I did go up in tirewall size just a tad as I took off the stock Nexen 275/55/20's and put on my retail Falken tires 275/60/20. I experienced very little increase in road noise going from the smooth Nexen to the knobby Falkens. I am a happy camper when it comes to my 20's.

edit---This is coming from a guy that has chronic back problems. My BMW suspension much stiffer on 17's is night and day comparison to current set up in truck on 20's

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score

driving on the sidewalk is smoother ?

alangsam

Reaction score
I have the 20's on my Bighorn and love the ride quality as it is smooth to me. I also love the chrome clad wheels to the point I am not buying any aftermarket wheels. I am digging the chrome look.

I live in Florida where most of the roads are butter smooth. The real test will come when I visit Pennsylvania in the next few weeks.

I did go up in tirewall size just a tad as I took off the stock Nexen 275/55/20's and put on my retail Falken tires 275/60/20. I experienced very little increase in road noise going from the smooth Nexen to the knobby Falkens. I am a happy camper when it comes to my 20's.

edit---This is coming from a guy that has chronic back problems. My BMW suspension much stiffer on 17's is night and day comparison to current set up in truck on 20's

Which falkens?

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score

Attachments

• PIC OF OLD-STOCK AND NEW TIRES.jpg
    PIC OF OLD-STOCK AND NEW TIRES.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 35

dn325ci

Reaction score
I have a laramie sport with the 20's with the Bridgestones. The ride is absolutely terrific. I drove 3 different rams with the 22's, which has a slight negative impact on ride.

Users who are viewing this thread