5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 week old truck, heavily leaking transmission fluid...

realralfy

Reaction score
I bought this truck exactly 2 weeks ago, has 750 miles on it....

I was very surprised to see what looked like a puddle of oil on my garage floor. A quick look under the truck revealed it was transmission fluid. In the pics you can see where it has dropped onto the exhaust and made a mess...In fact there are some drops on the pipe getting ready to fall...

I went to check the transmission fluid level and that is when I learned there is no dipstick.....No way for me to check it. It seems incredibly stupid to design it that way...

Its back at the dealer now. They took a quick look and said it needs a new pan. (After tellling me that it was most likely condensation from the A/C).

Anybody else had an issue like this on a brand new truck? 20200710_140107.jpg 20200710_140110.jpg 20200710_140116.jpg

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, first I've heard. If the leak was going on while you were driving it...I would demand a new transmission immediately. If you were driving around with super low transmission fluid the transmission might've already been damaged. Don't take the chance on that.

realralfy

Reaction score
Wow, first I've heard. If the leak was going on while you were driving it...I would demand a new transmission immediately. If you were driving around with super low transmission fluid the transmission might've already been damaged. Don't take the chance on that.
I can be pretty persuasive, but is it realistic to expect a new tranny?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
No.

If you were low enough on fluid to cause damage, you'd be low enough to start sucking air into the pump which would cause it to lose pressure,, and you'd feel the transmission lurch and surge as the clutches engaged and disengaged. It would almost certainly light up the dashboard with all kinds of warning lights, too. There are speed sensors within the transmission and if one detects excessive slippage it will set a code.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^what he said. No way are they going to give you a new tranny but I would def keep a good record of this happening just in case there is issues down the road.
This is first I've heard of this and hopefully they make it right for you.

Last edited:
U

User_3336

Looks plastic. Worse than Ford's composite plastic oil pan that's siliconed on...

Most likely just a fluke, I believe these Rams have a plastic transmission pan. Must have cracked for some reason.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't listen to these guys.... you'll never know unless you ask. But I think it's VERY realistic to ask them to at least verify that the transmission is in good shape before you take it back. Otherwise you could find yourself right back in the service center.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No.

If you were low enough on fluid to cause damage, you'd be low enough to start sucking air into the pump which would cause it to lose pressure,, and you'd feel the transmission lurch and surge as the clutches engaged and disengaged. It would almost certainly light up the dashboard with all kinds of warning lights, too. There are speed sensors within the transmission and if one detects excessive slippage it will set a code.
That's an opinion....not absolute fact. It's one thing to disagree with me ...it'd quite another to start spouting off What-If's.

Richard320

Reaction score
That's an opinion....not absolute fact. It's one thing to disagree with me ...it'd quite another to start spouting off What-If's.
What are you babbling about? He asked "it realistic to expect a new tranny?"

The answer is no. It's not realistic.

I don't know what dream world you live in, but if there are no codes stored and no chunks of friction material in that pan when they drop it, he's not getting a new transmission. The dealership would have to send the old one back along with a bunch of pressure readings and a printout of codes. If it doesn't meet their standards, it's a chargeback. They're not going to eat the expense of a transmission and several hours of labor because someone threw a tantrum and made demands.

Of course it's my opinion. And my opinion s every bit as valid as yours, if not more so. I've wrenched in a car dealership and I've been an ASE Certified Master Technician since about 1990.

Paultg

Reaction score
Side note: is there a chance the transmission was over filled and that caused the leaks? Then even less likely there is damage?
I guess if over full it come out a vent that is prob higher up though and not need a new pan?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are you babbling about? He asked "it realistic to expect a new tranny?"

The answer is no. It's not realistic.

I don't know what dream world you live in, but if there are no codes stored and no chunks of friction material in that pan when they drop it, he's not getting a new transmission. The dealership would have to send the old one back along with a bunch of pressure readings and a printout of codes. If it doesn't meet their standards, it's a chargeback. They're not going to eat the expense of a transmission and several hours of labor because someone threw a tantrum and made demands.

Of course it's my opinion. And my opinion s every bit as valid as yours, if not more so. I've wrenched in a car dealership and I've been an ASE Certified Master Technician since about 1990.
You can't say it's not realistic, that's an opinion; not reality. And yes ...just like everyone else on here is a "mechanic or technician" lol give me a brake. Ha! Get it? "Brake" lmao!

Nibis

Reaction score
You can get the transmission up to 130 degrees and pull the fill plug, see if any runs out, a slight amount running out means it's full

Richard320

Reaction score
Side note: is there a chance the transmission was over filled and that caused the leaks? Then even less likely there is damage?
I guess if over full it come out a vent that is prob higher up though and not need a new pan?
You can get the transmission up to 130 degrees and pull the fill plug, see if any runs out, a slight amount running out means it's full
@realralfy is better off not touching anything before he takes it in for warranty work. If they see tool marks on anything, it's going to set off alarms.

Paultg

Reaction score
Agreed. I wouldn’t touch it. I’d have them tow it to dealer and let them figure it out. I was only suggesting it might be over full to ease the original posters concerns of damage.

BowDown

Reaction score

No, absolutely not. You could also smell the fluid and look at the color, if its a rusty brown or smells burnt then the trans has POSSIBLY been damaged. It would slip and get hot which burns the fluid. And not burnt like fluid leaking on the exhaust burnt.

No, its fact.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, absolutely not. You could also smell the fluid and look at the color, if its a rusty brown or smells burnt then the trans has POSSIBLY been damaged. It would slip and get hot which burns the fluid. And not burnt like fluid leaking on the exhaust burnt.

No, its fact.
Lmao! Really? Fact? Then prove it. Right now.

Polo08816

Reaction score
No.

I had a similar issue on my 2014 335i which uses te ZF 8HP45 transmission. Damage had already been done due to low ATF. It was eventually replaced under warranty because I had a screen shot of the BMW ISTA Rheingold diagnostic software as well as dash cam video of the transmission slipping while accelerating from a traffic light. Powertrain was stock.

If the dealer wasn't going to replace it, my plan was going to be to install a hitch on the car. Hook up a car trailer with my buddy's 1 ton SRW pickup truck on the trailer and drag race until the transmission turns into kibbles and bits. Once that happens, unload the 1 ton SRW pick up and hook it up to the trailer. Winch the car onto the trailer and immediately tow it to the dealership.

BowDown

Reaction score
Lmao! Really? Fact? Then prove it. Right now.

Prove you're correct, you clearly haven't a clue how an auto trans works and what the warning signs of trouble are. FYI, an overfilled trans will spit out fluid thru the case vent and look like this too with no damage to the trans.

Now, when the pull the pan and IF they find clutch material, then they would and should swap the trans. The OP should probably be there to inspect the pan contents when the pan is removed.
You're looking for very fine brown sand/dust that will be suspended in the fluid. It will not be magnetic nor feel gritty but it will be very obvious

Users who are viewing this thread