5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Trim questions: "cloth" vs leather and tow vs non tow mirrors?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have compiled a list of about 40 Rebels in Florida that I am working through and two questions I keep running into are:
1. How much different are the cloth vs leather seats? I see the leather trim and it looks very nice, but I'm wondering comfort, smell mitigation (when sitting after being on trails all day), and durability come to mind

2. Lakeland has a bunch of nice specced Rebels but the tow mirrors are throwing me off. Realistically I will not be towing and if I do it'll be a small trailer for motorcycles. Has anyone seen the rebel style tow mirrors (not the same as the 2500 mirrors) vs the regular rebel mirrors for comparison? I like how the regular style mirrors have the built in bubble for blind spots, and how most specced rebels have the blind spot radar, it seems to me like the tow mirrors also have the same capability, and I don't know if I'm splitting hairs here by worrying that the tow mirrors are that much bigger / bug antennaier than the tradition mirrors.

For example:
Tow mirrors - https://www.lakelanddodge.com/inventory/new-2020-ram-1500-rebel-4x4-crew-cab-1c6srflt6ln408976/

non tow mirrors - https://www.planetdodge.com/inventory/new-2020-ram-1500-rebel-4x4-crew-cab-1c6srflt5ln302020/

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For your use you do not want the tow mirrors. They do stick out quite a bit and don’t power fold.

As far as leather, I don’t like leather seats cause they are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I can’t speak to the leather trimmed ones in the rebel but my cloth buckets in my big horn are very nice and comfortable.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The cloth seats in the Big Horn are very comfortable. Can sit in them for hours on a trip no problem.

As for keeping the seats clean, I've seen guys throw down seat covers, or even large black/gray beach towels, just twist tie the ends closed together behind the neck brace and it will stay put with minimal fuss for those times you know you're going to get dirty and grimy. Think the same thing could be done for either cloth or leather.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would go with tow mirrors unless your frequently towing I would rather have regular powerfold mirrors. As far as seats leather would be easier to clean versus cloth. Cloth seats in the big horn are still comfortable and very durable though. I would go leather and grab a slip on seat cover such as ( Aries defender) to slip over the stock seats while your on the trails. I do this well during the week since my work clothes get pretty damn dirty on a daily basis then boom when I’m outside of work a slip it off and enjoy the stock leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jako

Reaction score
Long term owner of vehicles with both cloth and leather, cloth seats have held up better than leather. I also find cloth more comfortable in weather extremes of hot and cold. Tow mirrors do not power fold unless changed for 2021 and the Ram is wide enough without the added width of the tow mirrors. I retract my mirrors whenever I park, doubt I would do that all the time with manual folding mirrors. The extra width of extended tow mirrors is a liability in today's "driver's distractions and individual responsibility/accountability".

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a +1 on no tow mirrors. If you are in a situation where you need extended mirrors there are cheap clip ons from Amazon that have good reviews.

As for leather seats. Are you going to be getting into your truck when you're not clean, sweaty, or in other words you'll be stinking? Do you have dogs that are going to be filthy/muddy? Do you have small kids? You know how I clean my leather seats when my kids spill milk or my dogs get mud on them? I wipe them off. For me personally, the cleanability of leather far outweighs the minor discomfort of them being hot or cold for a few minutes when you start the truck. Plus they just look better. If you're worried about getting dirt in the perforations you can get seat covers or just use towels.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I have the regular seats in my Rebel which are vinyl / cloth and I have leather in the Caravan , I like them both . In the winter I use the remote start and the heated seats come on , in the summer the leather is a little hotter than the cloth but not unbearable by any means .

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’d avoid the tow mirrors, too. I use the power fold feature all the time, and (as others have stated) the standard mirrors (plus various cameras) do a good job.

My truck is a Longhorn, so my leather seats are quite a bit different. I’ll be keeping ‘em ;)

Users who are viewing this thread