5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Tone Ivory Tricoat Back Half of Truck Paint Doesn't Match Front

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Purchased the truck on a nice sunny day and when inspected up close, you can't really tell, until you know. We've had a bunch of overcast days and the problem finally revealed itself.

Looks like someone took the back half from another vehicle and transplanted it onto my truck.

The white is brighter and the brown on the bottom is lighter. It's this way all the way around.

To me, this is totally unacceptable. It appears I am driving around in a brand new truck that's been wrecked and had the back half painted...and the paint shop didn't match it properly.

It looks even worse at night when another vehicle's lights shine on it. If it's parked in my driveway and we come home at night, the back half of the truck glows while the front remains significantly darker.

The dark brown around the wheel arch doesn't even remotely match either. I'm usually really good about seeing these things, but I never caught it on the lot in the direct sunlight, but I also never walked way back to inspect it at this level. First vehicle I've ever purchased where I even would have thought the paint would need to be inspected to this degree. 40 years old and have plenty of new cars under my belt and this is a first for me. I suppose you live and learn, and I'll never make this mistake again.

Anyone have any suggestions? Letting a dealer attempt to fix this would require a paint job....which will just result in the same scenario. The factory paint can never be matched. I'm stumped.

Lemon Law says you need to give them 3 attempts. Since it can never be properly fixed, do I give them 3 shots to paint it and just keep taking it back since it'll never match? I suppose they could paint the entire truck..but who would want that. I doubt RAM will take it back without me going through the paces.

Obviously I'm not happy with it and every time I walk out to it I'm disgusted by the fact that I got duped and paid this much for a truck that's totally out of whack between the front and back.

View attachment 12353 View attachment 12354
Wow, just saw your thread. You're right. It's horrible. It looks like the bed from another truck was transplanted on yours!

Rototerrier

Reaction score
That tsb is for a similar but different issue. Good to know though.

The ramcares response was not very promising. Pretty much a canned response. Still waiting for a response from fca and my dealer at this point.

They can certainly repaint it and sell it to someone else if they want. Some folks might be less discerning.

Been down that road with a Corvette and ended up with the worst looking paint job you've ever seen.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
In case anyone is interested in how this is all going to play out:

1) FCA simply documents the info and throws it back to the dealer. The case numbers aren't really of any use but for their own internal tracking. It all gets pawned back off on dealers.
2) They can attempt to escalate, but it just gets thrown back down to the lower level to indicate the dealer is supposed to handle it. No buyback will ever be granted by attempting to bypass the dealers.
3) The dealer will always attempt a repair and my dealer is currently indicating that's the direction they are willing to go.

I'd live with it the way it is before I'd ever even remotely consider letting a body shop attempt a repair. Things could go from bad to way way worse and it isn't worth that risk.

Looks like they aren't going to be making it easy.

Jordan2929

Reaction score

1) FCA simply documents the info and throws it back to the dealer. The case numbers aren't really of any use but for their own internal tracking. It all gets pawned back off on dealers.
2) They can attempt to escalate, but it just gets thrown back down to the lower level to indicate the dealer is supposed to handle it. No buyback will ever be granted by attempting to bypass the dealers.
3) The dealer will always attempt a repair and my dealer is currently indicating that's the direction they are willing to go.

I'd live with it the way it is before I'd ever even remotely consider letting a body shop attempt a repair. Things could go from bad to way way worse and it isn't worth that risk.

Reputable body shops are very good at what they do. GM’s white diamond tricoat is a much deeper color than almost anything else on the market and our body shop matched it perfectly on our old Denali, Of course I see things from your point of view, I’d be very nervous about them painting my brand new truck as well but the newer the vehicle is, the easier the paint is to match.

If I were you I’d find the best body shop in town and negotiate with the dealer to have them do it, I’m willing to bet you’ll be very surprised at how it looks with a proper repair.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reputable body shops are very good at what they do. GM’s white diamond tricoat is a much deeper color than almost anything else on the market and our body shop matched it perfectly on our old Denali, Of course I see things from your point of view, I’d be very nervous about them painting my brand new truck as well but the newer the vehicle is, the easier the paint is to match.

If I were you I’d find the best body shop in town and negotiate with the dealer to have them do it, I’m willing to bet you’ll be very surprised at how it looks with a proper repair.
Being a former body man I agree that it comes down to finding a shop with the best reputation and having FCA take care of the cost. New paint technology is far superior with regard to color matching these days. You will be surprised at how good it can look when the right shop does it. You should be allowed to choose who you want to do it as it's a brand new vehicle and never should have slipped by quality control looking the way it does. Keep on FCA. Don't settle for anything less than the repair you think is acceptable. It sucks that you have to deal with crap like this.

grinch72

Reaction score

I had big gouge in my paint, Black Forest Green which is full of green fleck and can look black or green depending on the light. Anyhow had a local shop fix it and no matter how hard I look, shine lights at it, move directions, etc, I can't tell what they did. Matched it perfect. If you had a real good body shop in the area I wouldn't hesitate to have the dealer make them spray it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All of the white and pearl white trucks have this same quality issue. I just bought a 2019 Ram Quad cab Laramie with same pearl white and the day I took it home I thought it had been wrecked and repainted. I pulled up all of the white and pearl while vehicles I could find at other dealers and if you look at the web page pictures of the trucks, the back ends are bright white and do not match the cabs. I too had tried to deal with customer service and they are no help. I have had mine a month now and have 1400 miles on it with 700 being trips back and forth to the dealer. Sad part is the pearl white option not only did it cost me $500, the dealer had to ship my truck from another dealer for an additional $1000. So I paid $1500 to get the worst pearl paint job I have ever seen (I am a car painter and am embarrassed to be driving such a bad paint job). I've also not received a survey from Ram yet which I am really looking forward to giving Ram terrible numbers. Good news is, my dealer thought the paint so bad too that they initially offered to repaint the whole truck if Ram failed to warranty the repaint. When the quote was $6500 for the repaint they said to hell with it and have ordered me another new Ram to replace mine. I picked a dark Grey color on the new one since they do seem to be better at painting dark, non pearl PAINT. My dealer has been great and is frustrated that the answer they get from Ram is no one else has complained about the color match. My dealer got a crew cab shortly after mine and it is just as bad. They will not order another Pearl white ram. This is not just an issue with you and me, it is a terrible quality control issue at RAM. EVERY light colored ONE IS BAD. I have lots of pictures
I've never seen anything like the picture you shared. Wow!

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Good news. I got a call from my dealer and they too are going to work with me on a buyback/replacement. I was so relieved. Feels good to know I have a good dealer. Definitely will do like you and not choose Ivory again. What a mess.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Here's a more recent picture of mine where the back just looks totally white and the front has a deeper and darker color. And really shows the lighter brown on the bottom. Definitely feel your pain on feeling embarrassed about it. Sucks to be driving around in a brand new vehicle that looks wrecked and repainted...terribly.

Like you, I've searched online and can't find a single image of any other 2019 ivory ram that doesn't have this mix up.

Attachments

• 20190105_112756.jpg
    20190105_112756.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 149

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Better photo. But, this one is pretty close. Looks like they got the 2 tone in the back a whole lot closer. I think it's at least a step in the right direction. What I'm starting to pick up on is that the doors almost appear to be the issue on some of these. This one from your dealer, the front and rear match and the doors are what's off.

With mine, it's just the entire back half that's off. My cab, forward all appears to match pretty good.

Truck.jpg
vs mine where the 2 tone is totally jacked
mine.jpg

Rototerrier

Reaction score
The saga continues. The dealer I purchased this from, Paulding CDJR in Paulding Country, GA had me order a replacement truck about a month and a half ago.

Truck came in this week and I went in to do the replacement yesterday. 1.5 hour drive to meet with my sales rep and then the GM of the dealer.

They wanted me to pay them $9500 to do the swap. They took zero responsibility for this mess up and expected me to pay a 9500 difference.

Had me believe for months that they were going to step up and make this right, only to waste my time and give me false hope.

https://www.pauldingchryslerdodgejeepram.net

The GM, Danny Pompa, even said they didn't want my truck. They had no intentions of making this right or working with me to correct RAM and their mistake. He took zero responsibility.

If anyone wants a really nice, loaded up Delmonico Red Longhorn, they have one in stock...but I'd think twice about purchasing it from them. Maybe do a dealer swap.

Reached out to FCA again to see if they will do anything. Have to wait another 2-4 business days to get a phone call from them. This entire process has been miserable. Definitely one of the worst vehicle purchases I've ever made. Live and learn I suppose.

Jagtyson

Reaction score
The saga continues. The dealer I purchased this from, Paulding CDJR in Paulding Country, GA had me order a replacement truck about a month and a half ago.

Truck came in this week and I went in to do the replacement yesterday. 1.5 hour drive to meet with my sales rep and then the GM of the dealer.

They wanted me to pay them $9500 to do the swap. They took zero responsibility for this mess up and expected me to pay a 9500 difference.

Had me believe for months that they were going to step up and make this right, only to waste my time and give me false hope.

https://www.pauldingchryslerdodgejeepram.net

The GM, Danny Pompa, even said they didn't want my truck. They had no intentions of making this right or working with me to correct RAM and their mistake. He took zero responsibility.

If anyone wants a really nice, loaded up Delmonico Red Longhorn, they have one in stock...but I'd think twice about purchasing it from them. Maybe do a dealer swap.

Reached out to FCA again to see if they will do anything. Have to wait another 2-4 business days to get a phone call from them. This entire process has been miserable. Definitely one of the worst vehicle purchases I've ever made. Live and learn I suppose.
Roto, well written and exactly what you have experianced since you got this defective truck.

Besides this forum helping folks find the best dealers and best deals, it also helps others avoid dealers that only care about the bottom line and not their own customers.

Hopefully FCA will step up on your truck and help.

My experiance with RAM ivory tricoat quality has been the same as yours. My small town dealer here in iowa (Jimbaier.com) felt that it was going to be such a slog through the FCA buyback that they ordered me a replacement truck and did their own buyback. Cost me $.25 a mile and a $500 FCA price increase, but they stepped in to solve my problem when FCA was wasting time steping up on mine.

Hopefully someone from FCA sees this and jumps in to help.

Also hopefully folks see this and avoid buying from Paulding Ram.

I have posted pictures of my defective ram and my new not white paint matches granite ram.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 20181215_153846.jpg
    20181215_153846.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 20190221_102400.jpg
    20190221_102400.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 95

Rototerrier

Reaction score
My dealer and FCA finally stepped up to the plate and were able to come thru with getting this deal done. My 4 Tone Ivory White has now been officially replaced with a Delmonico Red.
After our first meeting, that didn't end well, Danny called me a couple days later and said he'd spoke with FCA and they agreed to do a buyback. I had to pay for some mileage, difference in MSRP and a few other fees and the issue has finally been resolved.

I am finally happy with my truck and don't walk out to it every day regretting my purchase.

Though it took a little working, Paulding CDJR came through for me in the end.

DelmonicoRed.jpg DelmonicoRedInterior.jpg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My dealer and FCA finally stepped up to the plate and were able to come thru with getting this deal done. My 4 Tone Ivory White has now been officially replaced with a Delmonico Red.
After our first meeting, that didn't end well, Danny called me a couple days later and said he'd spoke with FCA and they agreed to do a buyback. I had to pay for some mileage, difference in MSRP and a few other fees and the issue has finally been resolved.

I am finally happy with my truck and don't walk out to it every day regretting my purchase.

Though it took a little working, Paulding CDJR came through for me in the end.

View attachment 20240 View attachment 20241
I'm totally biased, but that's a beautiful truck! Glad to hear that things worked out for you.

JHowellAK

Reaction score
Ive noticed that the flakes on my ivory tricoat have turned brown in some spots. like it rusted. Anybody else see that?

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Ive noticed that the flakes on my ivory tricoat have turned brown in some spots. like it rusted. Anybody else see that?
It’s often called “rail dust” pretty normal on light colored paint. It is caused by train brake dust that gets on the paint in transit. It can also be caused by the brakes on the truck. (usually behind the front tire) It’s superficial and comes off with a little jewelers polish.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
It’s often called “rail dust” pretty normal on light colored paint. It is caused by train brake dust that gets on the paint in transit. It can also be caused by the brakes on the truck. (usually behind the front tire) It’s superficial and comes off with a little jewelers polish.
Its mostly caused by the iron wearing off plow blades and embedding in the paint. Light colored cars in the snow belt need this and/or clay bar as part of a spring detail.
https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html

U

User_9089

In addition. If you own a white vehicle, this will be your best friend. https://www.eshine.ca/products/carpro-ironx-iron-remover-canada-500ml
Good for any vehicle if you are into detailing, that and a clay bar. But, white vehicle = visible rail dust.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you live in Canada hit Canadian Tire and get some Auto Glym Magma. I always wait for the 20% off sales, got 5 bottle last time :LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread