5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Tone Ivory Tricoat Back Half of Truck Paint Doesn't Match Front

JHowellAK

Reaction score
It's odd. It is also on the campershell i purchased from Leer.

Lstan

Reaction score
Super helpful thread! Sharing some shots from my brand new 2020 Ram Sport. Different coloured door and front grill and fender. Looks like we have 3 different paint colours in total. Totally brutal and something you can't see on a sunny day on the lot.

Looks like it will end up being a paint job. I hope it goes well.

Take the time to look it over good or perhaps avoid the white. Super disappointed.
IMG_20200726_202906.jpg IMG_20200720_204522.jpg

BNeal

Reaction score
Bummer, just ordered a '21 Limited with tri-coat Ivory... Will have to give it a good inspection before signing on the dotted line! Thanks for this thread!

Lstan

Reaction score
Beauty! But yes, give it a solid look and make sure you take the time to look at it at dusk/shade or low light. And as an update, I compared it to three other ivory Rams on the lot and it appears that all their plastic bumpers have that slightly warmer color. Super strange they can't get that right but it seems to be across the board. The door however is pretty mindblowing. It's going in for paint this week. Fingers crossed it comes out better.

BNeal

Reaction score
Will take it to a body shop for inspection prior to signing. I really want this paint, but I am picky as f%*k, so won't accept anything short of perfect. Not to mention, this is a $500 bump for the "premium" paint!

Skud

Reaction score
Good luck trying to get this fixed. I’ve been to two different dealers and gone all the way up to “enhanced” RAM Customer Service. I was told that they don’t consider this to be a defect and nothing will be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Gotta go to the BBB, consumer affairs and any other advocacy group you can find. Point to this form. Get your dealer manager and GM involved.
Make enough noise to make it no longer worth their time or negative publicity to fight you on it.

You can get it handled, but you have to be the squeaky wheel. Having the entire truck's paint mismatch is a serious flaw and having the entire truck repainted or even half the truck repainted severely impacts the value of the vehicle.

The thing is, if they do a buy back on your truck, they'll just turn around and sell it to someone else without ever doing any repairs. Someone will take it and never even notice it. So it's not really costing them a thing.

My truck showed up on my dealer's lot a week or so after they took possession of it. They just pawned it off on another unsuspecting customer.

Lstan

Reaction score
Good luck trying to get this fixed. I’ve been to two different dealers and gone all the way up to “enhanced” RAM Customer Service. I was told that they don’t consider this to be a defect and nothing will be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sorry to hear that! Our Tuck was a week old when we noticed it. Paint has come a long way though. It's been painted and so far looks ok. I am going to take a closer look at dusk. Another thing, I'd suggest, get the 3m or SunTek paint protector. Got two stone chips on the bumper in the first week too. Pretty unbelievable, it's like the paint just fell off. And with the new sport grills, it's a lot of plastic. Looks nice but something to consider. Chrome would likely be better.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
I'm sure I'll get flamed but this problem has existed for years. It's not a Chrysler specific issue. A good majority of bumpers won't match body panels due to variance in materials (plastic vs metal). When painting oem bumpers in our shop we have the same issue. Now if you scuff and reshoot said bumper it matches bang on. Not feasible for mfg to paint pieces over. Certain colors are worse than others. Also flared panels exacerbate the issue. Chevy actually issued a bulletin for their Camaro as so many people were complaining about paint mis match from front to back due to the rear fender design. My solid white 18 ram box didn't match at certain angles and neither does my brand new wd ram. Some things are out of their control. My big issue is the horrendous mis matched body panels in my truck. Stevie wonder could have done a better job. Absolutely crap.

Users who are viewing this thread