5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2" Level and rear spring choices?

lestuff

Reaction score
Hi all, i recently traded in my 2015 Laramie for a 2019 new style Longhorn. I love the truck except i am not satisfied with the suspension. Don't get me wrong, the ride is positively luxurious, Like a BMW, but honestly isn't quite what i want in a truck. I am using the truck primarily as a commuter at the moment but also do some regular hauling of engines and axles, towing old cars, cruising into the desert, etc. Based on previous trucks I thought the rake on the Rams was a little funny but i was pretty shocked at how much it squatted with 500#-1000# in the bed. I am very happy with my new Ram but could use some input on options for suspension "upgrades" (admittedly subjective term.)

My 2015 Laramie was over 100K miles and in need of some new parts so I ended up pulling most of the suspension and replacing with the Mopar (Superlift) 4" kit with Bilsteins. I found a smoking deal on the kit and paid ~$800. Was very happy with the performance. The Bilsteins are a more firm ride than the stock shocks but still very compliant and the Superlift rear springs were progressive and excellent. To me the setup was much better: more level, more firm and less squating under minor loads.

So enter the 2019 new style Ram. This time i think i want more like 2.5" in the front and 1"-1.5" in the back. I currently have a 2" difference front to back. I really want the progressive lift springs in back combined with Bilstein shocks all around. Basically i want the Mopar P5155797 but for the 2019 DT, not DS.

All i see so far is the Mopar Fox kit 77072424AB. It's a bit expensive at ~$1100 but that's because of Fox shocks. I understand from this list that the kit now includes a front spacer for leveling but nothing for the soft rear springs. So, a couple of questions for the knowledgeable folks out there.

How does the tuning on the Fox shocks in the Mopar kit compare to Bilstein 5100s? Are they similar? I always thought of Fox as an offroad leader with a much stiffer shock but other threads suggest they ride like stock.

Does anyone make a progressive rate rear spring for the 2019 -2020 DT? Superlift says they don't support this platform yet so their SLF-140 et al are not an option? Has anyone tried those on the DT?

All inputs welcome. Thanks for listening ;-)

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would imagine the springs from the 4th gen trucks would work just fine in the rear. I don't know that the spring rate is the same as 4th gen models but the springs do seem to be the same height. Countless members have used the 2" drop springs from a 4th gen truck on their 5th gen truck to do a reverse level and it worked out as planned. No reason rear lift springs wouldn't work the same way. I just don't believe anybody has tried them yet.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
@lestuff I had a 15 with the 5100s and the icon rear springs. The icon rear springs dramatically reduced the bed squat. Even with 30 rolls of sod in the bed she stayed up in the air. The truck was very comfortable…

On your new truck you can Install the icon rear springs, they make them for the current generation and it will lift the rear 1.5 inches. You can pair that with 5100s.

Another option which is the direction I’m going to go this time around is the falcon shocks. They are made by TeraFlex and will lift the front of your truck but you use the current springs you have in the rear so there will be no lift in the back. The dampening for the shocks is adjustable. You can adjust the valving by flipping the switch in your rear wheel well on the shock body to put it in towing mode. Just takes a second with no tools and that will also reduce squatting.

lestuff

Reaction score
Thanks KSN240. I thought the rear springs looked the same also but i haven't fully researched the heights and spring rates of the two generations. Detailed spring specs seems to be a carefully guarded secret! ;-) I guess it says something that Icon is making a different spring for the new style and SuperLift does not market their Classic rear springs as fitting the front. Still the difference must be subtle.

Thanks!

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks KSN240. I thought the rear springs looked the same also but i haven't fully researched the heights and spring rates of the two generations. Detailed spring specs seems to be a carefully guarded secret! ;-) I guess it says something that Icon is making a different spring for the new style and SuperLift does not market their Classic rear springs as fitting the front. Still the difference must be subtle.

Thanks!
The difference would be minimal at best. People using the drop springs seem to be happy with them. For what it’s worth most companies aren’t marketing their 4th gen stuff for 5th gens even though it works without issue.

lestuff

Reaction score
Thanks Zoompastu. I think i saw your write up in another thread, which got me looking at the Icons. So far the Icons plus Bilsteins are looking like the best option. I can install myself, much easier than the full Superlift kit I installed on my '15 ;-) In that case i also replaced the rear springs and reused the factory front springs and it seemed to work well.

lestuff

Reaction score
The difference would be minimal at best. People using the drop springs seem to be happy with them. For what it’s worth most companies aren’t marketing their 4th gen stuff for 5th gens even though it works without issue.

One other interesting note if anyone is interested, when i look through the Mopar parts website(s), comparing part numbers for the 2015 Laramie vs 2019 new style Laramie, i see that
1) front struts use the same part number
2) rear spring part numbers, at least the first 6 part numbers i see listed, are the same
3) front spring part numbers are different.

So based on the above, at least in theory, a kit like the P5155797, which includes struts, shocks, and rear springs, should work fine...

SandDiesel

Reaction score
TUFTRUCK makes variable and straight rate rear springs as well but stock height. I just got the TTC-1211's, straight rate springs and will be installing soon with a one inch spacer. With oversize tires I'll be up 3-3.5" in the rear. Bilsteins as well for 2" up front. Icon saves you from adding a spacer, I just don't need very much lift tho.

GoRamGo

Reaction score
I ordered what @Zoompastu recommended the billsteins plus icon rear springs and wish I could report unfortunately I am still waiting on the front struts according to 4WP there is a shortage and they are on back order nation wide i have been waiting over a month

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Hopefully you’ll get them sooner rather than later… Either way when you do post pictures! Another thing to think about is the sway bar links. I used hellwig universal sway bar links on the last truck. I’m wondering if the off-road package swaybar links are longer than the standard links. I would have to assume they are to keep the sway bar geometry correct.

GoRamGo

Reaction score
Will do and yes I have been contemplating what to do next probably will get the hellwig sway bar are the sway bar links different

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Will do and yes I have been contemplating what to do next probably will get the hellwig sway bar are the sway bar links different
When the rear suspension is raised it will shift how your swaybar sits and the angle it will be at does not do a good job of “activating“ proper usage of the bar. By having longer sway bar links It will allow the swaybar geometry to be normal.

If you do a lot of heavy towing the thicker sway bar will help with body roll but so will your 5100s because of the stiffer compression rate. Bigger sway bars will induce more oversteer. That is what they are used for in cars. Less body roll but you can tune the amount of understeer and oversteer.
Something to keep in mind. For fun if you have spare time read about bigger sway bars in Volkswagens and BMWs. Lots of information that applies to any vehicle

Robalo2718

Reaction score
TUFTRUCK makes variable and straight rate rear springs as well but stock height. I just got the TTC-1211's, straight rate springs and will be installing soon with a one inch spacer. With oversize tires I'll be up 3-3.5" in the rear. Bilsteins as well for 2" up front. Icon saves you from adding a spacer, I just don't need very much lift tho.
How are you liking those 1211s? I'm hoping to pull the trigger on a pair somewhat soon, but still have remaining questions. Including my topper, I usually ride around with a 300-900lb load, though more often than not it is closer to the 300 lb side. Any insight as to how the ride will be? I'm perfectly content with it being a little firmer/rougher and more truck-like, I just would prefer that the rear end still feels like a truck from the last decade. Also, when I spoke with TufTruck on the phone, they said that 1211s would not change factory ride height when unloaded or with small loads - can you confirm?

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
So i have a 2" coil over kit coming for the front, and I also have ORP Ram Box springs (to add an inch out back and the rate is supposed to be higher than non...hope to take some squat out with loaded on light loads) for my non ORP truck. I am curious, as I may do a 1" puck in the rear for 2" out back to match the front as I do like the rake for hauling/towing...

My question is longer rear sway links (Carli has some for $250.00...ouch) and then with the rear track bar.. Who makes longer links? And with the stock track bar...how much does the axle shift and does anyone make a bracket/adjustable rear track bar?

Robalo2718

Reaction score
So i have a 2" coil over kit coming for the front, and I also have ORP Ram Box springs (to add an inch out back and the rate is supposed to be higher than non...hope to take some squat out with loaded on light loads) for my non ORP truck. I am curious, as I may do a 1" puck in the rear for 2" out back to match the front as I do like the rake for hauling/towing...

My question is longer rear sway links (Carli has some for $250.00...ouch) and then with the rear track bar.. Who makes longer links? And with the stock track bar...how much does the axle shift and does anyone make a bracket/adjustable rear track bar?
Hellwig makes adjustable rear links. I have them and have no complaints. Core 4x4 seems to be a popular option for links as well.

Judging by my experience and from these forums, there is no appreciable movement in the track bar if you are keeping your rear lift 2" or less. Freedom Offroad makes an adjustable track bar if you feel you need it though.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
I did stumble on the Freedom Offroad track bar for the rear, price is not bad and seems to get some good reviews. I'm just a freak about specs and geometry for suspension. I will see how it goes but I may do a new bar. Longer links will be happening soon as well.
Here is a link for those curious:

Users who are viewing this thread