5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 great options - help!

naterizzle

Reaction score
I'm eyeing 2 RAM trucks that are comparable, but much different under the hood. Will be our new daily driver and we typically do 250-300 miles/week mixed between city, 45mph backroads, and 80mph freeway. Haul motorcycles, etc. Don’t tow very often, so not part of our factoring. Would love some input!

Truck #1: 2021 Laramie 3.0 EcoDiesel, 34k miles, $48k - Black, Night Edition, Laramie Level B Equipment

Truck #2: 2022 Limited 5.7 eTorque, 30k miles, $54k - Black, Night Edition, Limited Level 1 Equipment

Big factors for #2 are the Adaptive Cruise Control (I use this daily on my Jeep SRT) and Air Suspension (the Laramie is honestly kind of low?)

Obviously the biggest difference though is the diesel vs. gas. I'm sure I'd be happy with either one, but curious if anybody has a good pitch to sway me! Help!

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Based on the miles you put a year I would go for the diesel but It kind of seems that the limited would bring you more smiles per miles

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The Limited will have way more features like HUD that that Laramie doesn't.
You need to make sure you have a mechanic that can work on a Diesel, I hear a lot of dealerships will not work on them (unless you plan on doing all of it yourself).
Except to get around 60-80% more mpg on the Diesel, fuel will be a bit more expensive though.

naterizzle

Reaction score
Based on the miles you put a year I would go for the diesel but It kind of seems that the limited would bring you more smiles per miles
I'm kind of leaning towards the Limited :D got some more detail photos and it has quite a few rock chips in the front bumper. Not ideal, but it is a truck afterall!

RAL

Reaction score
With the mileage you drive, I would get the diesel. Also, air suspension is useful to level the truck if you regularly tow heavy loads (I define heavy as at around 70% of maximum rating for the truck in question). If you do not regularly tow heavy loads, it is mostly a toy that will require expensive overhaul when the struts require replacement at or around 100k, and that figure will arrive quickly for you, as you are about a third of the way there. You will likely notice issues sooner is the truck is regularly parked outside in cold weather. Before you dismiss that as a concern, go price the air struts on the truck from Mopar, so you make an informed choice.

Finally, on any forum, in my experience asking people what vehicle to buy is essentially asking them to validate the choice they made, in large measure. With a used vehicle, any used vehicle, I would be far more concerned with condition and whether it has a documented service history as to compared to whether one or the other has this or that minor feature, or a certain trim level. With used vehicles, there is a saying in the enthusiast community that you are buying the previous owner. You didn’t mention anything about service history on either. Neither has a ton of miles, but they do have enough that lack of proper oil changes, for example, would be a concern.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
With the mileage you drive, I would get the diesel. Also, air suspension is useful to level the truck if you regularly tow heavy loads (I define heavy as at around 70% of maximum rating for the truck in question). If you do not regularly tow heavy loads, it is mostly a toy that will require expensive overhaul when the struts require replacement at or around 100k, and that figure will arrive quickly for you, as you are about a third of the way there. You will likely notice issues sooner is the truck is regularly parked outside in cold weather. Before you dismiss that as a concern, go price the air struts on the truck from Mopar, so you make an informed choice.

Finally, on any forum, in my experience asking people what vehicle to buy is essentially asking them to validate the choice they made, in large measure. With a used vehicle, any used vehicle, I would be far more concerned with condition and whether it has a documented service history as to compared to whether one or the other has this or that minor feature, or a certain trim level. With used vehicles, there is a saying in the enthusiast community that you are buying the previous owner. You didn’t mention anything about service history on either. Neither has a ton of miles, but they do have enough that lack of proper oil changes, for example, would be a concern.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I seriously doubt the air ride struts are going to be worn out at 100K miles and the air ride is far from a toy. Air ride is one of the reasons I chose limited over longhorn and I do not regret getting the air ride, it's a great driving truck especially if you're making long drives traveling.

As to the 2nd paragraph, you are correct however there are as many or more that will tell you if they've had an experience with a choice that they regret, 3.21 vs 3.92, 6.4' bed vs 5', etorque and on and on, you just need to be filter out the BS from the facts. Hell, reading most of the posts here you think the Ram was a truck to avoid entirely; mine has 66k trouble free miles thus far.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Air suspension is far from a toy.
Makes working under the truck way easier and reduces maintenance costs by reducing effort on lots of things. Also greatly improves handling during driving when lowered if you drive spirited
There doesn't appear to be any widespread issues with 5th gen's air suspension even on this website that everyone posts about asking "is this normal" when any single thing happens to their truck.

If OP is concerned about mpg (which he didn't say) he would likely be classed out of the Limited trim due to all the extra weight and be looking at lower less optioned trims and 3.21 gearing/v6/diesel.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Limited :D got some more detail photos and it has quite a few rock chips in the front bumper. Not ideal, but it is a truck afterall!
On a Ram painted bumper even if you don't see chips, assume they are there.
Just had my 1 year old Limited front bumper painted after 1 year of driving on paved roads only. Around 150 chips, looked worse then a 20 year old car.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm eyeing 2 RAM trucks that are comparable, but much different under the hood. Will be our new daily driver and we typically do 250-300 miles/week mixed between city, 45mph backroads, and 80mph freeway. Haul motorcycles, etc. Don’t tow very often, so not part of our factoring. Would love some input!

Truck #1: 2021 Laramie 3.0 EcoDiesel, 34k miles, $48k - Black, Night Edition, Laramie Level B Equipment

Truck #2: 2022 Limited 5.7 eTorque, 30k miles, $54k - Black, Night Edition, Limited Level 1 Equipment

Big factors for #2 are the Adaptive Cruise Control (I use this daily on my Jeep SRT) and Air Suspension (the Laramie is honestly kind of low?)

Obviously the biggest difference though is the diesel vs. gas. I'm sure I'd be happy with either one, but curious if anybody has a good pitch to sway me! Help!
I vote limited

RAL

Reaction score
Note that I did not say air suspension was troublesome. But as with any suspension component, particularly a shock / strut assembly, overhaul will be required if you keep the truck. Certainly an air strut will not last longer than a conventional high quality shock. I keep trucks a long time so I think about these expenses relative to the benefit of the system. My experience is that near or around 100k suspension components are worn and I simply said the person should look at the cost of those struts (about $800-$900 each) when I checked when we bought our truck. When you figure labor, this is easily a 4-5k job. Not worth it to me, others may have a different view. Regularly towing a track car and a horse trailer, I did not find the cost benefit ratio worthwhile as compare to using a quality load leveling hitch assembly. And the other benefits mentioned, while certainly interesting, are not needs to me and more of a cool factor.

Again, from a cost perspective I think people frequently load vehicles with toys and other systems and give little thought to the long term cost / overhaul implications when those systems wear out. If you lease or get rid of your rig every few years, then this is not a concern. But if you keep the truck, maintenance history and the presence of not too many complex toys are going to be your best bet for an aggravation free ownership experience. I understand my perspective may be different than others, but having owned many older cars and trucks and dealt with these systems as they age, I have a preference to simplify.

To make a final point, on the Toyota forums you will see guys complaining and acting surprised when KDSS wears out or leaks on a 4Runner or the air suspension wears out on a Sequoia and everyone acts shocked and surprised that (1) even Toyotas wear out; and (2) these hydraulic or pneumatic suspension systems are expensive to overhaul when they do eventually fail. I am talking about Toyota because they are typically seen as the benchmark for long term reliability/. So my post was not a slam on Ram - our ‘20 has been and continues to be a super reliable and terrific truck. My point is more about the costs of complexity and rational judgment about the trade off v cost.

Good luck to the original poster and let us know how you do.

Last edited:

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You say you don't tow much, but do haul motorcycles. I would recommend checking out the payload on both of these. Likely the limited has a lower payload. Remember payload is essentially everything you put in/on the truck that didn't come from the factory, including you, your family, steps, bed covers, etc...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You say you don't tow much, but do haul motorcycles. I would recommend checking out the payload on both of these. Likely the limited has a lower payload. Remember payload is essentially everything you put in/on the truck that didn't come from the factory, including you, your family, steps, bed covers, etc...
Prob higher payload then a Laramie with an ED which isn't saying much. Much heavier engine.

naterizzle

Reaction score
Good callouts on the payload with so many heavy options! 54 pound payload difference in favor of the Laramie, from what I could find online. If I recall, my 2015 Jeep SRT has a payload of 1350 lbs and towing 7200 lbs. Kind of funny that these trucks really aren't any or much better, but I guess that's the 1500 class for ya!

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 1.03.42 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 1.03.31 PM.png

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good callouts on the payload with so many heavy options! 54 pound payload difference in favor of the Laramie, from what I could find online. If I recall, my 2015 Jeep SRT has a payload of 1350 lbs and towing 7200 lbs. Kind of funny that these trucks really aren't any or much better, but I guess that's the 1500 class for ya!

View attachment 169114
View attachment 169115
Yeah, these are light duty trucks, and the more comfort and convenience you add... 🫤 there are Big Horn/Tradesman guys reporting up around 1800lbs.

naterizzle

Reaction score
Yeah, these are light duty trucks, and the more comfort and convenience you add... 🫤 there are Big Horn/Tradesman guys reporting up around 1800lbs.
Probably plenty for me 99% of the time.

Until I start thinking about taking a full truck up skiing haha let’s see 5 beefy dudes plus gear, call it 1500 pounds 😂😂

naterizzle

Reaction score
Air suspension is far from a toy.
Makes working under the truck way easier and reduces maintenance costs by reducing effort on lots of things. Also greatly improves handling during driving when lowered if you drive spirited
There doesn't appear to be any widespread issues with 5th gen's air suspension even on this website that everyone posts about asking "is this normal" when any single thing happens to their truck.

If OP is concerned about mpg (which he didn't say) he would likely be classed out of the Limited trim due to all the extra weight and be looking at lower less optioned trims and 3.21 gearing/v6/diesel.

On a Ram painted bumper even if you don't see chips, assume they are there.
Just had my 1 year old Limited front bumper painted after 1 year of driving on paved roads only. Around 150 chips, looked worse then a 20 year old car.

Added pics - Starting to think I just go for it and live with the dings. It is a truck after all!

Attachments

• IMG_0647.jpeg
    IMG_0647.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0648.jpeg
    IMG_0648.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 26

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

View attachment 169114
View attachment 169115
If you don't get any options I have seem 1500s with 1800 payload.
All the options are really heavy.
Added pics - Starting to think I just go for it and live with the dings. It is a truck after all!
This is what mine looked like
2023-04-05 17.20.16.jpg 2023-04-05 17.20.21.jpg

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Note that I did not say air suspension was troublesome. But as with any suspension component, particularly a shock / strut assembly, overhaul will be required if you keep the truck. Certainly an air strut will not last longer than a conventional high quality shock. I keep trucks a long time so I think about these expenses relative to the benefit of the system. My experience is that near or around 100k suspension components are worn and I simply said the person should look at the cost of those struts (about $800-$900 each) when I checked when we bought our truck. When you figure labor, this is easily a 4-5k job. Not worth it to me, others may have a different view. Regularly towing a track car and a horse trailer, I did not find the cost benefit ratio worthwhile as compare to using a quality load leveling hitch assembly. And the other benefits mentioned, while certainly interesting, are not needs to me and more of a cool factor.

Again, from a cost perspective I think people frequently load vehicles with toys and other systems and give little thought to the long term cost / overhaul implications when those systems wear out. If you lease or get rid of your rig every few years, then this is not a concern. But if you keep the truck, maintenance history and the presence of not too many complex toys are going to be your best bet for an aggravation free ownership experience. I understand my perspective may be different than others, but having owned many older cars and trucks and dealt with these systems as they age, I have a preference to simplify.

To make a final point, on the Toyota forums you will see guys complaining and acting surprised when KDSS wears out or leaks on a 4Runner or the air suspension wears out on a Sequoia and everyone acts shocked and surprised that (1) even Toyotas wear out; and (2) these hydraulic or pneumatic suspension systems are expensive to overhaul when they do eventually fail. I am talking about Toyota because they are typically seen as the benchmark for long term reliability/. So my post was not a slam on Ram - our ‘20 has been and continues to be a super reliable and terrific truck. My point is more about the costs of complexity and rational judgment about the trade off v cost.

Good luck to the original poster and let us know how you do.
According to my write up person, they do see a lot of air suspension problems with 5th gens. $2,500 per corner. Cold weather makes it worse. I'm getting the extended warranty!

naterizzle

Reaction score
UPDATE!

Went with the 2022 Limited 5.7L. Got the dealer to come down to $52,500. It was certified, but I added Max Care 100k warranty for $3000 to ensure any potential air suspension issues are a non-issue for me. All this was done out of state via phone/text/email, so I hopped on a flight this morning, picked up the truck and drove it 300+ miles home! Amazing rig, really excited about it!

Attachments

• IMG_7167.jpeg
    IMG_7167.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 20

Users who are viewing this thread