5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2,500 pound payload plus factory air suspension

grimloktt

Reaction score
So I recently loaded my truck up with approximately 2500 lb of brick. I loaded it with the vehicle off and the rear was pretty sagging. Once I started the vehicle, the air suspension basically leveled but then shut off because of the heavy load. I drove about 10 MI with it in there and did not really notice any issues.

I also hook up a big plow to the front and the winter time I think it's a something 26r. And, I have a 16 ft dual axle dump trailer that I sometimes haul a number of scoops of stone.

This truck's very capable. I'm sure I've exceeded the specifications of time or two.
974bc7f933fb65c963eaf784f295cc9c.jpg
ecfb8309fa7a7a14fbb424b9d7ffe0b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Holy moley. What's the payload on the door jamb sticker? I could be wrong, but with the soft independent front suspension, the truck will hate having a plow

Reverse

Reaction score
your rated payload was probably around half of your actual load 🙀

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately there is now a stored error code about the truck being overloaded. I actually had one also which was a glitch in the system since I only had about 200lbs in the back but when I went in for some other service they made sure to bring that to my attention. Someday it may be the cause of a denial of warranty claim and the resulting fight.

Mathis35

Reaction score
You say you have a trailer but decided to put double the payload in the back of the truck lol. Makes sense.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I probably would of just dragged the trailer or rented one before I risked going over payload and screwing up something electronically within the truck itself but I’m glad it handled it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Well the payload rating isn't what the frame can handle, it's what is technically safe for the overall suspension, tires and what the government considers safe for driving on public roads with that weight.

In other countries, your 1500 lbs payload would be like 10,000 lbs lol. So just as long as you took it easy, I'm sure it wouldn't have caused any issues.

grimloktt

Reaction score
I just checked the sticker on my truck it says 1303 lb. Maybe I should look into getting a bigger truck? Lol

Before loading the bricks up, I read a number of data points online that said the Ram 1500 has a 2000 lb payload capacity?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well the payload rating isn't what the frame can handle, it's what is technically safe for the overall suspension, tires and what the government considers safe for driving on public roads with that weight.

In other countries, your 1500 lbs payload would be like 10,000 lbs lol. So just as long as you took it easy, I'm sure it wouldn't have caused any issues.
I have to say, I get a little irritated when people are like "you're too close to your max numbers!" when those numbers are already a very conservative line for what the truck can actually do. I agree you shouldn't go over (for legal reasons if nothing else), but getting within a few pounds of your max is always going to be safe on a technical level (you just have to drive accordingly).

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just checked the sticker on my truck it says 1303 lb. Maybe I should look into getting a bigger truck? Lol

Before loading the bricks up, I read a number of data points online that said the Ram 1500 has a 2000 lb payload capacity?

It can theoretically be that high, but we're talking 100% basic, no option, 4x2 Tradesman. Everything you add to the truck (pano sunroof, ramboxes, power seats, etc.) takes away from the max payload.

Seems like you'd be much better off with a 2500+ if you plan to haul loads like that more than like...twice ever.

Scram1500

Reaction score

A 2wd Tradesman is 2000 lbs, thats what they base the EPA numbers off of as well. Bighorns around 1800 with 4x4, Laramie's 1500ish, and some Limiteds less than 1,000. You are a candidate for a 2500!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The pathetically small payload on my Limited is 1046 lbs. :ROFLMAO: At least it's actually half a ton. Good thing I don't tow or haul anything heavy. My Limited is for comfort, not utility.

grimloktt

Reaction score
If you subtract my weight and miscellanies stuff in the truck, then my actual payload limit is just over 1K lbs... I didn't realize that until today.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you subtract my weight and miscellanies stuff in the truck, then my actual payload limit is just over 1K lbs... I didn't realize that until today.

The fact that your truck handled it is a testament to how well built and capable they actually are but yeah...don do dat :LOL:

I see an HD in your future.

Users who are viewing this thread