5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st wash/wax

Dirt_Diver

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here and just bought a used 2019 Ram 1500. Since I don't know the history of the vehicle as far as washing and waxing. I was wondering what everyone thinks I should do for my 1st washing and waxing of the truck. I'm just curious if should clean it I'm a fashion to remove old wax and what not. It's been almost 15 years since I had a new vehicle. Thanks for any help. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here and just bought a used 2019 Ram 1500. Since I don't know the history of the vehicle as far as washing and waxing. I was wondering what everyone thinks I should do for my 1st washing and waxing of the truck. I'm just curious if should clean it I'm a fashion to remove old wax and what not. It's been almost 15 years since I had a new vehicle. Thanks for any help. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
If you decide to remove old wax "Prep All" is designed for that job, spray or gallon can. I used it to remove grease from wood kitchen cabinets. For the cabinets I used it a little at a time, removed the grease and did not do damage to the cabinets. I also used it on the stove.

Dirt_Diver

Reaction score
If you decide to remove old wax "Prep All" is designed for that job, spray or gallon can. I used it to remove grease from wood kitchen cabinets. For the cabinets I used it a little at a time, removed the grease and did not do damage to the cabinets. I also used it on the stove.
Thanks! I will definitely check that out because that's exactly what I'm trying to do and start new with fresh wax.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of detailing people use dawn dish soap to strip old wax before using a clay bar and re-applying a polish or ceramic coating. Not many people use "wax" anymore.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check out the Chemical Guys website. They have a Clean Slate wash that is specifically made for stripping all coatings from paint. There are a lot of these on the market from various manufacturers. Auto Geek website has a lot of good car detailing info and products.

Dirt_Diver

Reaction score
Check out the Chemical Guys website. They have a Clean Slate wash that is specifically made for stripping all coatings from paint. There are a lot of these on the market from various manufacturers. Auto Geek website has a lot of good car detailing info and products.
Thanks for the info! I will research this as well than you!!

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Here is what I would do, I'm not tye expert but I do take meticulous care with my vehicles, always have.

I would wash it with normal auto soap, then do a strip wash. Any store bought product is fine. I like the Mckees N-914 mixed 8:1 myself.

Then a critical step, claybar all of the paint. Plenty of videos and how to's on how to claybar. Whenever you are done and you run your hand over the paint you will be amazed.

From there I use a polish. Apply by hand or polisher, your choice. The polish cleans up all the swirls and imperfections. After a good polish I use Griots 3-n-1 ceramic spray wax. The stuff is phenomenal. Easy spray on, wipe off, buff with a clean towel and its done. Where it really stands out is if you follow up with a second coat the next day or week. It will look better than new.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
As someone who has never waxed a vehicle in their life 2 weeks ago I applied spray Ceramic to my truck.
Just did a regular wash, and clay on the areas that needed (truck is only 8 months old so only needed it on my tailgate).
Applying the Ceramic was cray easy and cheap. Just a few spays per panel and then work it in. If it doesn't look great do it again.

I used Turtle Wax 53409 on my truck

This is what I used to apply it https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VWSKKJW/
I also use them to spray on Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather as I found that wipes apply way too much cleaner to the seats.

And these as the towels to work it in

If there are scratches and stuff you need to cover up you will need to use a polish and cutting compound and stuff, but just giving it a shine might not be a bad start if nothing stands out.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As someone who has never waxed a vehicle in their life 2 weeks ago I applied spray Ceramic to my truck.
Just did a regular wash, and clay on the areas that needed (truck is only 8 months old so only needed it on my tailgate).
Applying the Ceramic was cray easy and cheap. Just a few spays per panel and then work it in. If it doesn't look great do it again.

I used Turtle Wax 53409 on my truck

This is what I used to apply it https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VWSKKJW/
I also use them to spray on Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather as I found that wipes apply way too much cleaner to the seats.

And these as the towels to work it in

If there are scratches and stuff you need to cover up you will need to use a polish and cutting compound and stuff, but just giving it a shine might not be a bad start if nothing stands out.
You would be surprised what a clay bar would remove in a brand new vehicle. Should always do the whole truck.

Fillet1

Reaction score
Pretty straightforward. The goal is to get the paint as clean and decontaminated and just as important - don’t add any micro scratches to the clear coat. If you look at a light reflection in the paint you will see very fine swirls scratches in the surface of the paint. They are removable if you want to do the work but your goal is avoiding creating more from the washing process.

First hose all mud, debris etc off the truck. A small pressure washer helps with this - especially in the wheel wheels and bugs on the grille. Then wash with Dawn dish soap. This will remove all prior wax. Use the 2 bucket method. One filled with fresh water and the other with your soapy water. The idea is to not be grinding dirt particles from the lower sections of the truck into the paint. So start with the roof and work your way down. After cleaning a section dunk the wash mitt into the water bucket and agitate it to remove any debris. Wring it out and then go back to the soap bucket with a clean mitt. do this more frequently as you get lower on the body where the truck is more dirty. When I am washing if I have dried bugs on the grille/front side of mirrors, I use some bug and tar remover to remove and follow with the soap wash. Same for road tar usually in the wheel wells, and front side of runnning boards.

I also then clean the wheels and tires and rinse. You can come back later and detail the wheels and dress the tires.

Once clean you can clay bar the truck. This removes imbedded pariticles in the paint , tree sap bugs and road dirt. It’s a bar of clay that you rub on the paint with spray detailer or clay bar lubricant. After claying I rinse the truck and dry it with a microfiber towel.

From there you will have a clean contaminant free paint surface. If you have the initiative to then polish out all micro swirls - that’s another topic altogether. Assuming it’s acceptable to you - it’s time to protect the paint. Like others have said, wax is “old school” and the ceramic spray is popular now. It’s easy to use and beads water for a long time depending on the product. I have been using Griots ceramic speed shine and Renew ceramic spray with good results. It goes on like an instant detailer spray - mist a surface, gently wipe on and then buff off with a clean microfiber towel. You can put it on the paint, glass and plastic. Good stuff. I use it on the wheels as well.
From there I deal with the tires and exterior black plastic trim. For the plastic I like 303 Aerospace protectant. This is great for interior surfaces too as it is not sticky or shiny. For dressing the tires, I have been mixing the 303 with some of that “wet” tire shine stuff that I don’t like by itself - makes the rubber look greasy and oily. Mixed with the 303 it looks really good .

Users who are viewing this thread