5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st truck - what should I do?

Fitnessjeff

Reaction score
Just traded in my 2012 challenger srt for a 2020 limited. 3.92, 5.7 etorque. Full loaded excluding PANO.
Love it so far and the sound but a few things I’m interested, want to do, and could use some recommendations or pointed in the right directions?

I really like the rebel rims/tires, from my understanding I could buy them and put them right into my limited with no problems?

needing atruck bed cover and interested in either a rollup or retractable?

anything I should look into adding for the engine? Air filter? Pedal commander?

What lift or leveling kit is recommended for 2-3 inch / on the air suspension?

Attachments

• D6C18291-589C-4525-9120-C26A138535AB.jpeg
    D6C18291-589C-4525-9120-C26A138535AB.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 108

Phippy

Reaction score
I'm not big into mods but I would get those beautiful painted bumpers protected but then again my OCD weighs very heavy on me.

Fitnessjeff

Reaction score
Forgot to mention. Don’t want to do anything that voids warranty or coverage as I have lifetime protection

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just traded in my 2012 challenger srt for a 2020 limited. 3.92, 5.7 etorque. Full loaded excluding PANO.
Love it so far and the sound but a few things I’m interested, want to do, and could use some recommendations or pointed in the right directions?

I really like the rebel rims/tires, from my understanding I could buy them and put them right into my limited with no problems?

This is correct. You can use any wheels from any other 5th gen Ram 1500. 4th gen or earlier Ram 1500 wheels will not fit.

needing atruck bed cover and interested in either a rollup or retractable?

I have the Truxedo Pro roll up bed cover and I love it. The only issue with it is security. As with any soft cover, it could easily be broken into. So if security is an issue for you you'll want to look into a cover made from a harder material. I'm not really concerned about security so this cover works great for me.

anything I should look into adding for the engine? Air filter? Pedal commander?

You'll get conflicting claims about this, but IMO an intake or aftermarket filter is a waste of money, and can actually cause harm. Stick with the stock intake and paper filter, and spend your money on an exhaust instead. I would also recommend some brand of throttle controller, such as Pedal Commander. Doesn't add a lick of power, but it sure feels like it does.

What lift or leveling kit is recommended for 2-3 inch / on the air suspension?

I would recommend adjustable links for your air suspension. Here is just one example of those...

But keep in mind that the higher your air suspension raises, the worse the ride will be.

Icecoldak

Reaction score
The first things I would do to the truck is---

Clear bra the front, fenders, hood
Peddle commander
S&B intake
Bed cover
Ceramic coat intire truck

Kornfrk2727

Reaction score
What I bought for my first truck was. Mud flaps. Husky floor mats. Uh 2” front level. Bed linear. Congrats on the new truck.

Drakeprimeone

Reaction score
How do you feel about a bed step and side steps?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
for bed cover, dont rule out tri folds too for more security. They are bit pricier. This is my first truck too after having many cars over the years. All my mods seem to be mods that increase the trucks practicality. I changed the bins in the floor of the cab to ones with lockable lids. Tuffy makes them. Added the bed utility group for more tie down points in the bed. I have the Extang Trifold Solid 2.0 for bed cover. Hardwired a dash cam like I do in all my vehicles

Last edited:

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, buy the Mopar splash guards as they look much better!

No I don't think those would be the ones I would get unless they redesigned them..... unless you want ones that hold a pocket of dirt and rocks in them...

Installed mopar Off-Road RAM running boards today along with Mopar Splash Guards. Really love the running boards, but the splash guards really have a design flaw. The splash guards fit the curves of the truck well but have a large gap between the fender liner and the splash guard. This causes the guards to collect about 10 pounds of sand and ice each during snow storms. Don't know how Mopar could completely miss this during design. Nice product with a disastrous design flaw. Would recommend weathertech.

Attachments

• mud.jpg
    mud.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 59
  • slush mud.jpg
    slush mud.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 58
  • guard.jpg
    guard.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 57

Rick J

Reaction score
Not sure what the MOPAR ones look like but I think the Weathertech look and work fine.

Attachments

• 20190428_101933 (Large).jpg
    20190428_101933 (Large).jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190428_102015 (Large).jpg
    20190428_102015 (Large).jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 46

kthibs22

Reaction score
I’m picking up my Limited this weekend, first mod I’m doing is getting PPF on the front fender, grille, hood, and rocker panels.

Users who are viewing this thread