5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st time trucker

Rjhagner

Reaction score
First weekend with my new Ram! I have a diamond black 5.7 Longhorn with saddle interior.
Decided to buy a truck for upcoming retirement years, in order to pull an RV / boat and explore the US for a few years.
After looking at all the usual suspects, it was love at first sight once I was inside the Ram! Even my wife is in love with it and she was VERY skeptical about me getting a truck.
Looking forward to learning from the deep experience of others on this board.

S

Smashy71

First weekend with my new Ram! I have a diamond black 5.7 Longhorn with saddle interior.
Decided to buy a truck for upcoming retirement years, in order to pull an RV / boat and explore the US for a few years.
After looking at all the usual suspects, it was love at first sight once I was inside the Ram! Even my wife is in love with it and she was VERY skeptical about me getting a truck.
Looking forward to learning from the deep experience of others on this board.
They pull great. Towed and hauled a combined weight of 12k plus pounds 1800 miles from Oklahoma to Idaho through mountain passes. I’d recommend a weight distribution hitch and after market airbags for the squat. I have air suspension so it auto leveled. Congrats on your purchase.

Nate4x4

Reaction score
Congrats! Welcome to the RAM-ily and thanks for joining us!!

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These 5th generation Rams look fantastic and the interiors are absolutely exquisite! (y)

Rjhagner

Reaction score
They pull great. Towed and hauled a combined weight of 12k plus pounds 1800 miles from Oklahoma to Idaho through mountain passes. I’d recommend a weight distribution hitch and after market airbags for the squat. I have air suspension so it auto leveled. Congrats on your purchase.

Thanks Smashy71 for giving me my 1st chance to ask a dumb question!
What is a "squat" and why does it need airbags?

S

Smashy71

Thanks Smashy71 for giving me my 1st chance to ask a dumb question!
What is a "squat" and why does it need airbags?

Squat is how much the rear of your truck will lower from the tounge weight of the trailer or whatever you have in the bed. It really doesn’t need airbags if the weight distribution hitch does its job correctly. I’ve always ran both before I got the auto air on this ram I have now. Airbags are fairly cheap and just air them up when you need to. They fit inside the stock springs. Bags will get rid of excessive bounce and keep the truck level for easier towing.

Rjhagner

Reaction score
Squat is how much the rear of your truck will lower from the tounge weight of the trailer or whatever you have in the bed. It really doesn’t need airbags if the weight distribution hitch does its job correctly. I’ve always ran both before I got the auto air on this ram I have now. Airbags are fairly cheap and just air them up when you need to. They fit inside the stock springs. Bags will get rid of excessive bounce and keep the truck level for easier towing.
Got it!

thx

Users who are viewing this thread