5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st oil change

beetlespin

Reaction score
I do mine when the computer says to do so and use whatever the dealer suggests when they change it. I have done this with my last 4 vehicles which includes 2 Mustang GT's and I have not had any issues.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What's weird for me, I think my truck ran better with Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-20. But since it's hard to find now, I switched to PUP 5W-20, it does seem I get a little more start-up chatter than I did before, but maybe it's a placebo effect?

My oil analysis of both oils is great, so probably just in my mind.
The Rotella gas truck 5w20 was on my list to try but I never run across it online or on the shelf.

frisby5

Reaction score
page 293 2019 Owner's Manual - can't speak for later years.

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided. The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Fluids And Lubricants” in “Technical Specifications”. CAUTION! Never use Non-Detergent Oil or Straight Mineral Oil in the engine or damage may result.

NOTE: A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as a problem. Please check your oil level with the engine oil indicator often during the break in period. Add oil as required

Lungs414

Reaction score
Check out Pennzoil website for rebates. It used to be a $22 gas (Shell) I think for a 5 Qt purchase. Then I got a $25 gift card back. Not sure what it is now but I think I saw you had to buy 2 now and get $25 back.
Either way check it out.

frisby5

Reaction score
Im at 600 miles going to change mine at 1500 . 2022 Bighorn 4x4 , i dont know why they changed to 0w-20 i live in Az where it gets real hot ,im not liking the 0w-20 but i dont want to ruin my warranty . My manual only lists the one weight ,usually they have several but not this year.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I used to think the same thing about 0w20. After doing some specification sheet research they are basically the same oil just better a pour point. Some also have higher operating viscosity than 5w20.

Loudram

Reaction score
page 293 2019 Owner's Manual - can't speak for later years.

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided. The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Fluids And Lubricants” in “Technical Specifications”. CAUTION! Never use Non-Detergent Oil or Straight Mineral Oil in the engine or damage may result.

NOTE: A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as a problem. Please check your oil level with the engine oil indicator often during the break in period. Add oil as required
I meant break in as far as break in oil and a frequent oil change interval. I figured that would be obvious given the topic on hand. Of course there is an engine break in period.

frisby5

Reaction score
I used to think the same thing about 0w20. After doing some specification sheet research they are basically the same oil just better a pour point. Some also have higher operating viscosity than 5w20.
What brand are you running ? Im looking at the Valvoline Advance full synthetic

Scram1500

Reaction score
What brand are you running ? Im looking at the Valvoline Advance full synthetic
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or regular Platinum. Any brand name synthetic these days is hard to beat, they are all very similar

I used Valvoline 15w40 for many years on a 5.9 Cummins, never an issue

RVTRKN

Reaction score
OK, changed oil today and Advanced Auto had Mopar MO-339 oil filter which seems to fit and is listed in many filter cross references. Unfortunately the dealer used Duramax 5/20 oil with a Car Quest oil filter R84060MP when I had the oil changed for my second to me oil change on a 29K mile truck I bought used. I bought Valvoline Advanced syn 5-20 oil and the Mopar filter. But if you look up on the Mopar web site, none of the numbers are correct.
So what is the latest Mopar part number for an oil filter for the 2020 Bighorn in signature? I know Mopar changes numbers frequently, and my dealer won't give out part numbers unless you purchase from them. :mad:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
OK, changed oil today and Advanced Auto had Mopar MO-339 oil filter which seems to fit and is listed in many filter cross references. Unfortunately the dealer used Duramax 5/20 oil with a Car Quest oil filter R84060MP when I had the oil changed for my second to me oil change on a 29K mile truck I bought used. I bought Valvoline Advanced syn 5-20 oil and the Mopar filter. But if you look up on the Mopar web site, none of the numbers are correct.
So what is the latest Mopar part number for an oil filter for the 2020 Bighorn in signature? I know Mopar changes numbers frequently, and my dealer won't give out part numbers unless you purchase from them. :mad:

MO-339 is the correct filter, you can find them at Walmart and most other places with that number. Walmart is the cheapest at about $10, if they have them in stock, I would stock up. Oriellys and Autozone are usually $13-$15 for it.

If the dealer used that filter, it should be fine, you have a record of it in case someone complains about it later. But that is a bargain filter compared to the MO339.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Advanced Auto gave me a package deal for oil and filter, which was a good deal. I paid $9.99 for the filter and $51.97 for 7 quarts of Valvoline Advanced Syn oil. (1ea 5qt. and 2ea 1qt)

I didn't like what seemed to be a knock off oil filter from Fram, the associate said they own the brand now, but I don't believe it. So I told him I was going to Auto Zone across the street because they had what I allways used, which is Fram Extra Guard oil filters. When I told him I wanted real Fram oil filters and was going across the street he pointed out the Mopar oil filter, so I bought it and he gave me the bundled price.

Auto Zone has the Fram Extra Guard oil filter PH10060, however Advanced Auto has Fram Drive FD10060 , Fram Force FF10060, and Fram Titanium FS10060. Who is the real filter, please stand up. :ROFLMAO:

On Edit, I guess they are Fram filters. FRAM Oil Filters | Search By Vehicle Manufacturer | FRAM

Last edited:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
So which Fram oil filter would be the best for 5K mile intervals ?

I've used the Fram Extra Guard oil filters for years and back in the day it was just Fram oil filters. The better the filtration the more restricted the flow, in theory your slowing the flow of oil through the longer change interval filters.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I currently use Fram Ultra Synthetic and i am about to use it again. Screenshot_20231015_203057_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread