5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Oil Change

raven_DT

Reaction score
Changed at 4200 miles...where is the sticky for gripes about changing the oil and filter on the 5.7????

hopVIP

Reaction score
You can never change too early but too late is another mess of discussions...and problems. Some properties of the oil and metals it contacts do make the minerals and particles and what have you attach to and become part of the metal over time. This is good and what it should do. If you change your oil as often as say every 1000 miles or so that might cause the oil to not do it's job as far as coating and becoming part of the metal it lubricates. But 4000 miles is fine. I always drain the original oil right after a very quick break in period I'm religious about. Then go about 5000 miles between changes. But that initial oil change after my 300 mile two day break in method is very crucial. If you don't break in your engine and just drive it normal from the beginning you can wait as break in will happen over time. But I don't wait or leave that factory oil in my engines. As the engine breaks in with factory oil it breaks down and leaves particles and break in materials in your oil. Hopefully the filter catches it all but factory filters are as bad as the original oil for driving.

raven_DT

Reaction score
You can never change too early but too late is another mess of discussions...and problems. Some properties of the oil and metals it contacts do make the minerals and particles and what have you attach to and become part of the metal over time. This is good and what it should do. If you change your oil as often as say every 1000 miles or so that might cause the oil to not do it's job as far as coating and becoming part of the metal it lubricates. But 4000 miles is fine. I always drain the original oil right after a very quick break in period I'm religious about. Then go about 5000 miles between changes. But that initial oil change after my 300 mile two day break in method is very crucial. If you don't break in your engine and just drive it normal from the beginning you can wait as break in will happen over time. But I don't wait or leave that factory oil in my engines. As the engine breaks in with factory oil it breaks down and leaves particles and break in materials in your oil. Hopefully the filter catches it all but factory filters are as bad as the original oil for driving.
This is the first oil change, I send my oil to Blackstone for analysis. Based on the analysis results and recommendation from Blackstone I'll set a typical OCI for my truck. For example, Ram recommends 15k OCI for the 6.7, I never ran that long typically changing oil and fuel filters at 10k, based partially on Blackstone feedback on the oil samples.

Brad460

Reaction score
This is the first oil change, I send my oil to Blackstone for analysis. Based on the analysis results and recommendation from Blackstone I'll set a typical OCI for my truck. For example, Ram recommends 15k OCI for the 6.7, I never ran that long typically changing oil and fuel filters at 10k, based partially on Blackstone feedback on the oil samples.

Do you send a fresh sample as your baseline? Curious, what does Blackstone condemn on? Oxidation, nitration, TBD, TAN? Or?

raven_DT

Reaction score
Do you send a fresh sample as your baseline? Curious, what does Blackstone condemn on? Oxidation, nitration, TBD, TAN? Or?
Attached is the last report on my 6.7. No baseline struck. Well worth it imo.
Ram_OilReport.JPG

Brad460

Reaction score
Interesting report, but not much in there that could help determine oil change intervals. And without a baseline of fresh oil what do they compare too....

raven_DT

Reaction score
Interesting report, but not much in there that could help determine oil change intervals. And without a baseline of fresh oil what do they compare too....
They have a database of similar engines and oil types to base OCI recommendations.

Gusman4

Reaction score
I will do a black stone report on next oil change I usually do a couple on each vehicle. Brad they use all those minerals/element levels to determine how the engine is running. They can determine so many potential problems and issues by testing your oil it crazy.

Brad460

Reaction score
I will do a black stone report on next oil change I usually do a couple on each vehicle. Brad they use all those minerals/element levels to determine how the engine is running. They can determine so many potential problems and issues by testing your oil it crazy.

Let me clarify- First, if you're looking for problems, then yes I say this report is good as it gives you "wear metals" data or (for example) if you have a coolant leak and main bearing failing. This is good...

It doesn't however really tell you how much "life" is left in your oil. For that you need TBN, TAN, oxidation and nitration- None of which are checked.

Anyways, my intent is not to bash this oil analysis, but to understand what this data can tell you.

stebo

Reaction score
Did my first oil change last weekend on mine. I fastened a little metal u-channel below the drain plug on the pan to direct it away from the sway bar. Oil filter sure made a mess though. Thought I wiped it all up well, but still had a nice 3" spot of oil on the driveway in the morning.

hopVIP

Reaction score
After my break in procedure (which I discuss in another thread) I change the oil to get rid of the factory stuff at 300 miles. Then I go 5000 miles with synthetic and check it often. If the oil starts getting too dark or black I would change it earlier. But I stick with my break in method then every 5000 miles. I'll let it go longer if the oil is still very light by then especially on long highway trips. I put 9000 miles on my truck once on a multiple cross country drive and the oil still looked new. But I did change it when I got home anyway. Just an experience I wanted to share as an example but normally I stick with my normal methods and practices. This ensures I always have clean fresh oil that is never getting dirty or broken down.

raven_DT

Reaction score
Let me clarify- First, if you're looking for problems, then yes I say this report is good as it gives you "wear metals" data or (for example) if you have a coolant leak and main bearing failing. This is good...

It doesn't however really tell you how much "life" is left in your oil. For that you need TBN, TAN, oxidation and nitration- None of which are checked.

Anyways, my intent is not to bash this oil analysis, but to understand what this data can tell you.
Essentially the analysis provides a snapshot of the health of your engine. Im not concerned about extending OCI just monitoring the health of the engine. TBN and TAN are available (on spreadsheet) but i believe thats an additional cost. I have enough science projects at work, dont want another at home.

hopVIP

Reaction score
Does anyone else have specific times they change oil? Especially the initial change. Something else I discovered is some times the original oil isn't even a driving oil but a preservative manufacturers and dealerships use and are suppose to be drained prior to selling the vehicle. But most dealerships won't tell you this and never change it. Has this happened to anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread